• 14(current)
VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis.
I'm a bit dissapointed that Kodi team/ foundation (or whoever/whatever is supposed to handle this) isn't doing anything. Even though they are based in China, they are selling these boxes in the US. If they were to receive a cease and desist letter, they would have to take notice.
(2016-01-31, 00:40)Soli Wrote: I'm a bit dissapointed that Kodi team/ foundation (or whoever/whatever is supposed to handle this) isn't doing anything. Even though they are based in China, they are selling these boxes in the US. If they were to receive a cease and desist letter, they would have to take notice.

I think the issue is that the Kodi Foundation, AIUI, can't bring action as an entity, as they don't have any rights to. The only people who do are those individuals who have contributed code to Kodi under the GPL licence which some believe Vidon to be in breach of.

There isn't currently 'someone who is supposed to handle this' in terms of code.

If they were to use the Kodi trademark then that is different, as that is clearly covered by trademark laws.
Yeah of course, I know this. It was clumsy formulation. What I meant is: there are ways to put pressure in these violators, for example by putting violators on a known offenders webpage. As a foundation, they can also talk to a few key authors, to come together and send a cease/desist letter on behalf of copyright holders. Even though none may have the time or funds to actually sue them, that still rings some sort of principal stand.
Soli and others, I actually wrote a passionate PMail to Mr Natethomas aka XBMC Chief and Kodi Project Manager about blackbanning VidOn and compiling a Kodi and Wiki Banned Hardware list for devices that are sold with XBMC VidOn Software. This would be so Moderators can come down hard on any such Forum discussions and we all know where we stand. Forum Rules would need to be changed.

That was written on the 22nd Jan. I have no seen a reply out of the Chief Kodi Project Manager. This is extremely disappointing to say the least.

The overriding question here is - do the Kodi Foundation actually want to stick up for the developers that contribute free code to the Kodi project by supporting them in simply banning discussion about Hardware containing blatant GPL violating versions of XBMC / Kodi or not ?

At the moment it would seen no support for Kodi developers is forthcoming.
This then leads to a further question of why would any talented developer want to even contribute free code to the Kodi project in the first place if a simple GPL Violator black ban can not even be implemented by the Kodi Foundation ?

This is too important a matter to let it rest for the future of the Kodi project.

There wouldn't be any point in banning discussion about hardware that contains vidonme software. It's a service to the community to allow discussion about it, because where else are people going to learn how shitty it is? I'm not even joking. It would not benifit us to close and trash threads. It helps us to inform users about the bad software they have, and help direct them to something that isn't an issue (sotware, hardware, or both).

The best way to hurt vidonme, and those who use their software, is to spread the word about their antics.
Yes Ned I can see your point of view, but Jeez even just having VidOn on a GPL Violaters list (on the prominent Kodi home page no less) sends a very strong message to the rest of the Developer community that the Kodi Foundation and community is not at all happy with these sort of Illegal antics.

We cannot even get that sort of message out to support the current Kodi developers, on the prominent Kodi home page, and I strongly think the Kodi Foundation should seriously consider it.

well, they "released" version 15.2.2 , their source compiling shows 15.2 , not 15.2.2

------------------------
xbmc Configuration:
------------------------
xbmc Version: 15.2
git Rev.: Unknown
Shared lib Yes
Debugging: Yes
Profiling: No
Optimization: Yes
SWIG Available: Yes
JRE Available: Yes
Doxygen Available: No
Crosscomp.: Yes
Native Root: /opt/xbmc-deps/i686-linux-gnu-native
target ARCH: arm
target CPU: cortex-a9
OpenGLES: Yes
ALSA: No
DBUS: No
VDPAU: No
VAAPI: No
VTBDecoder: No
OpenMax: No
Joystick: No
Waveform: Yes
Spectrum: Yes
GOOM: No
RSXS: Yes
FishBMC: No
ProjectM: No
Touch skin: No
X11: No
Wayland: No
Bluray: Yes
TexturePacker:Yes
MID Support: No
ccache: No
ALSA Support: No
PulseAudio: No
DVDCSS: Yes
Google Test Framework Configured: Yes
Google Breakpad Configured: Yes
Avahi: No
mDNSEmbedded: Yes
Non-free: Yes
ASAP Codec: No
MySQL: Yes
Webserver: Yes
libssh support: Yes
libRTMP support: Yes
libsmbclient support: Yes
libnfs client support:Yes
AirPlay support: Yes
AirTunes support (libshairplay): Yes
UPnP support: Yes
Optical drive: No
libudev support: No
libusb support: Yes
libcec support: Yes
libcap support: No
additional players: No
additional codecs: Yes, libstagefright,amcodec,awcodec,rkcodec,a31codec
prefix: /opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19
------------------------

make: Leaving directory `/opt/xbmc-isengard.vidon/tools/depends/target/xbmc'
but is it linked to libvidonplayer like it was trying to link?

You can use "readelf -d libkodi.so" to see the linked libraries
I took the missing so files from their APK lib directory

-rw-r--r-- 1 nurielt nurielt 39941012 Jan 31 00:54 libplcore.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nurielt nurielt 3886468 Jan 31 00:54 libvidonplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nurielt nurielt 587256 Jan 31 00:54 libvtx.so

copied them to /opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib

executed make again

-----------------------
xbmc built successfully
-----------------------

time to make apk now and check on the device if this is what they released

edit : make APK failed

mkdir -p assets
mkdir -p assets/files/system
cp -rfp /opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/share/xbmc/* ./assets
cp -dprf /opt/xbmc-isengard.vidon/system/players/vdmplayer/system/lib ./assets/files/system/
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-isengard.vidon/system/players/vdmplayer/system/lib': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [shared] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/xbmc-isengard.vidon/tools/android/packaging'
make: *** [apk] Error 2

there is no vdmplayer under /opt/xbmc-isengard.vidon/system/players

I created the missing directories tried again , more missing directories (settings , shaders) , after creating all the missing directories

the final error

cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libCedarX-vidonme.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libCedarX-vidonme4.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libbdjvm.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libdvdvm.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libmkuvm.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libvidonutils.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/lib3DMode.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/lib3DMode-s905.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/libawrender.so': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/opt/xbmc-deps/arm-linux-androideabi-android-19/lib/librkffplayer.so': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/xbmc-isengard.vidon/tools/android/packaging'
make: *** [apk] Error 2

all those are not found anywhere in the source , but are all inside their released APK

so bottom line , their source cannot be compiled , missing sources , missing libraries
libCedarX is Allwinner stuff, try to add them to $NDK_PATH/sysroot/usr/lib/
I managed to get all the missing files from apk including the missing directories ( inside system players )

Got my own apk , installed on the device , some features make it crash ( working fine on their apk though )

They told me they will refresh git again with the missing files , and i will then try again

All the missing so files are vidon made

I told wolly , common sense , getting the source , and building must provide a copy of your released apk

I had to fix typo bugs on build files they created to be able to even start the build ( missing / for example inside their rebuild isengard sh file ) , i had to copy from apk files missing in the source
Thanks for the update Trigu75. Let's hope VidOn/Wolly comply.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Little update

Vidon created a new project on github , xbmc runtime , i took the so files from there , used them with compiled github isengard vidon source , installed the apk , now it looks and works like their latest released apk

So , they actually need to fix their packaging makefile to use these so files when building the apk
The real question is what works, what is different to XBMC or Kodi ?

Have VidOn actually given anything back to the Kodi community here or is this just a standard compile of XBMC minus the 3D modifications ?
If its minus the 3D and more, and you still need a Subscription to access and activate these sort of features then there is still a way to go.

Suscription is only needed if you want to be able to passthru HD-audio , or use bd menu navigation

Bluray menu is still buggy , 3d will not play that way ( play main tittle enables 3D )

HD-audio is supposed to be passed thru HDMI , for some reason , it never ever worked for me ( dolby truhd , atmos , digital work , dts dts-hd doesnt ) , but spdif passthru works fine

There are some features that are not working using vidonplayer core , like interlacing options , image zise , and pixel ratio ( all are working fine if vidonplayer core is unchecked )

I am not that familiar with kodi source , i need a few days to look at the source and understand it , and understand what is done there , i still need to figure why the GUI is working at 5fps ( video play fine , 3D play fine , passthru works fine )
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis.4