Kodi does not crash, but become unresponsive
Hi,
I'm on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Cap) GM PB. I had the issue with Kodi 15.1, then updated to 15.2 RC 1, then RC 2, the issue still remains.

The issue is a bit weird, something that I never faced before. I have Kodi on a separate space "As I always had for 3 years without issues", when go back to the main space and come back, some times Kodi becomes unresponsive to clicks or keyboard strokes. It does not crash, the movie plays and I can move the mouse, I just cannot click on anything or pause the movie, if click it goes back to being unresponsive. Sometime I wait for a while and it gets back normal, sometimes it doesn't so I have to close it and reopen it. Another weird aspect of the issue, when it happens, parts of the skin disappear "with various skins". So if I am in the movie list, moving the mouse over the titles would change the fan art, but the titles do not highlight. It is a bit weird.

Does anyone else have this issue? It might be cause by Mac OS X, does anyone know a way that could fix it?
Having the same issues. 15.2 RC2 and OS X 10.11. I'll have to put together a debug.
Same issue here. Both with Kodi 15.x and 16 alpha 3 on OS X 10.11.

I have Kodi running in window mode and if I minimize that window and bring it back up, Kodi has frozen. It did not happen in OS X 10.10.x. so I guess it's OS related.
Log file here: http://pastebin.com/eYBuVQRu
Same problem here Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
I've actually noticed this issue for a while, I think even before El Capitan. If I'm tabbed to another screen and then return back to Kodi, it's either in a dim state and doesn't return and react normally. It sometimes eventually "catches up" and sometimes not. You could have a video paused, or it could just be sitting at the menu or in screensaver mode. No idea what the cause is.
I have something that may be this. It only happens on playback, sometimes the OSD is just unresponsive for a while, sometimes it's "working" stuck on the playback, sometimes it fixes itself, sometimes it goes until playback ends. To break out, stop etc does not work, but alt-enter and X the window does work.
I'm having the same issue. I upgraded to El Capitan about a week ago, but only upgraded to 15.2 (stable release) today (from 15.1 stable) and have gotten this problem 3 times now. Will try to post crash files if it happens again.
This may be a noob response.
I've been fiddling with Kodi 15.2 on Raspberry Pi 2 / Raspbian for a while now. No worries about Raspbian, I'm comfortable with Linux.
The TV is connected to the Raspberry with an HDMI cable.

This was a vanilla install. After installation, Raspbian was modified to run from an external SSD drive (to avoid wear on the SD card).
After that, Kodi 15.2 was installed and a few video add-ons were added to Kodi (within Kodi), like "Uitzending gemist", "RTLxl" and "NPO" (I'm Dutch).

Sometimes Kodi plays back perfectly, like watching the news on NPO. Sometimes Kodi "hangs", it becomes unresponsive to commands from keyboard, mouse or TV remote control.
At that time there is still control through Raspbian or "Kore" (app on my phone) and the system can be rebooted.
The Kodi program can be stopped (terminated) and restarted from Rasbian, after which playback of the same program (watching the news) may work perfectly. Hence, the problem may be related to the content received.
When Kodi becomes unresponsive, I have seen the following:

- Mouse cursor leaving trails all over the screen
- No sound, intermittent (garbled) video
- No video, but sound (garbled) is there
- Playback can be paused and restarted, but the screen remains garbled
- It seems impossible to get back to the main menu and chose another plug-in

Suggestions are welcome on how to solve this issue (and not lose face in front of my GF, who thinks that I'm an expert on everything, grin ;-) ).

Regards,
Willem
Downgraded to 15.1 stable and had the issue again... So suspecting it has to do with El Capitan instead (that seems to be to common thread to everyone's issues).
I doubt it's OS related. I have had problems since Xubuntu 12.04LTS with Frodo where after a boot, after a week or two, sometimes, after a month or two, XBMC as it was then, would suddenly stop responding to the keyboard, and would only work with the mouse. This would require an XBMC restart (but not a machine reboot). There seems to be nothing obvious in the log when this happens and due to it's intermittent nature, I've never been sure if it's worth turning debugging on to try and catch it.

The problem continued to Xubuntu 14.04LTS with Gotham and was the same.

The problem seemed to have got much worse when upgrading to Isengard 15.2 with no other changes (still on Xubuntu 14.04LTS). Now, if Kodi seems to go not much more than a week before this happens, but now, also, sometimes you play a video and the "working" in the bottom right hand corner never goes away too. Occasionally, when you get that, it does start responding again, but usually, you need to restart. When the video is playing, that's usually working and will play until the end (you just have no control). The remote controls on the web interface do still work though and you can use this to stop the playing video. I usually ssh into the box and do a machine reboot at this point (I'm thinking about doing a weekly reboot overnight to see if that helps, but it's a bit of a cludge if it does).

I'm running a dedicated Kodi machine with recent i3 CPU and discrete Nvidia GPU with plenty of RAM, so it's not the OS or system resources (you can see using htop via ssh the box itself is pretty much idling the whole time and all video playback is done in hardware).

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be interested to hear them!! Smile

HTH,

Cheers,

Matt.
Yeah I have this on windows.
When the interface is unresponsive, I can still use the kore android remote.
I'm using aeon nox skin.
I have my GUI unresponsive too on Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and windows 10 64bit , the linux PC is with AMD fusion E-350, windows PC is with Radeon R9 290. Linux is with radeon OSS driver, windows is with Crimson latest driver.
The most annoying thing is that sometimes the Linux PC freezes forever i cant even stop the video if the video is 10min. i must wait 10min to end.

I will give you Debug log later tonight
Has anyone checked a 16.0 RC? This is severly affecting my use of Kodi.
Im running Kodi RC3 on El Capitan without issue, actually i've never had much issue on OSX which is just fancy unix really.

I must say tho i never upgrade, i export my database - do a clean install and import the database back in, dosent take long and thats with a large DB.

I always find upgrading theres something left behind that causes issues so might be a way forward?

I also run portable install as of recently on windows but unsure if this works on Mac.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi does not crash, but become unresponsive0