Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?
I have been shopping for a few weeks now and I know there are all these reviews and guides for "picking the right player" but they really all seem to revolve around picture & sound - while all that is super important for most people I am just looking for something to give me usable Netflix and NAS streaming.

I had a basic little WD TV Live (cost me $100 CDN at Costco a few years back) and it did exactly what I needed:
- Netflix worked perfectly (even the handy remote had the start/stop/pause keys to make life easy for the kids)
- My NAS (WD MyBookLive) was accessible in 3 remote button presses and could play all my MKV's, my home movies, etc... (never an issue)

Now sadly my WD has left this world (thanks son for smashing it on the ground ...) and I am looking for an equivalent (or better) replacement.

I first wanted the Roku but the fact that I need a separate Plex Server was a huge turn-off. Then the Google Play (no longer sold in Canada). Took me a while but I thought the WeTek Core would be suitable, 2x the price of what I paid for my WD and air-mouse but seemed like a good compromise (and this still might happen - but the Canadian re-seller seems to be having issues). Then I jumped to the NVIDIA SHIELD, seems like it can do everything I want (real beast)... for 4x the price (because essentially I am buying a gaming console - which I don't need/want) and a controller instead of a remote (could get used to that)

So I am left with WeTek Core (if I can ever get my hands on one) or NVIDIA Shield (and get a 2nd mortgage on my house)...
Wife and kids have come to terms with maybe needing to use an air-mouse ...
Wife doesn't want 2 boxes (1 for Netflix like a Roku and one for NAS) but honestly this may be the best and cheapest answer ... get a Roku (Netflix) and some cheap Chinese knock-off Android box for my NAS ...

And now I am taking a last stab to see if maybe someone out there has a better suggestion ... I just want something to replace my 4 year old WD TV Live and give me the same features and usability for a similar price - or as close to that as today offers.

If you made it this far thanks for reading my non-nonsensical rant ... but my wife is going nuts having to get up to pause her FRIENDS on Netflix off the laptop I connected to the TV Smile

Any comments, hints, help, suggestions would be great ...
Dell Micro 3050, which can be found for $99 or less, on sale. HD Netflix, HD Amazon, etc., but it's Windows 10. Just did a review here, for 3D MVC purposes, but even if you don't use 3D, still a great value.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Why don't you get a remote for your laptop?

Sent from my U65GT
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Wetek Core, Shield or Windows box are the only real one box solutions. You'll probably want an RF keyboard/trackpad for the Windows solution to navigate Netflix's App (which will give you DD audio unlike the Core which is 2.0 only for Netflix)

Wetek Core won't play native interlaced DVDs at the moment, but if you don't have them - it's a good bet. Windows possibly slightly trickier to neatly integrate Kodi and the Netflix app than Android.
(2016-04-09, 22:54)nickr Wrote: Why don't you getba remote for your laptop?

Sent from my U65GT

What kind of remote's would work with a windows Laptop and allow me to properly control Netflix and local NAS (explorer I gather) playing?

(2016-04-10, 00:05)noggin Wrote: Wetek Core, Shield or Windows box are the only real one box solutions. You'll probably want an RF keyboard/trackpad for the Windows solution to navigate Netflix's App (which will give you DD audio unlike the Core which is 2.0 only for Netflix)

Wetek Core won't play native interlaced DVDs at the moment, but if you don't have them - it's a good bet. Windows possibly slightly trickier to neatly integrate Kodi and the Netflix app than Android.

There is a Netflix app for windows? Aside from using web browser? Please tell me more Smile
(2016-04-09, 22:52)hdmkv Wrote: Dell Micro 3050, which can be found for $99 or less, on sale. HD Netflix, HD Amazon, etc., but it's Windows 10. Just did a review here, for 3D MVC purposes, but even if you don't use 3D, still a great value.

Why Dell Micro 3050 over D34010WYK1? Post seems to indicate D34010WYK1 is better Smile
You should be able to find something to do both, but sadly like others have found you're not gonna find one that will do both for under $100.00. A Roku 3 has been out for a while and still goes for $99.99. I'm sure the have dipped to $79.99 though..

you could always get a push2tv for cheap. then you can use tablet, laptop or pc as remote
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

(2016-04-10, 04:00)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: You should be able to find something to do both, but sadly like other have found you're not gonna find one that will do both for under $100.00. A Roku 3 has been out for a while and still goes for $99.99. I'm sure the have dipped to $79.99 though..

But the Roku won't stream from my NAS, I'll need a PLEX server (so another PC running somewhere), I don't have a "server" I can use at the moment and really setting up another PC just for that isn't something I am inclined to due.

(2016-04-10, 04:10)tornicade Wrote: you could always get a push2tv for cheap. then you can use tablet, laptop or pc as remote

Not sure how Push2TV helps ... I don't have a PC (or tablet or laptop) I want to dedicate to any of this ... my WD today can work with my NAS and internet (for Netflix), I don't need any additional or external HW ... Using Push2TV for my needs amounts to the same as running a Plex server.
I'd say get a new (v4) AppleTV. It has native Netflix, Mubi and BBC iPlayer apps - which for me are the essentials for any box. Plus you can run MrMC (Kodi without all the cruft) for local content or, if you can be bothered, sideload a full Kodi installation.
The answer would be:
Android box/stick (preferably wetek core or nvidia shield) - Apple TV box - Windows box/stick.

My current setup is focused in the very same needs as yours + casual browsing, YouTube TV...

I use Windows 10 with Netflix Metro app (DLed from Windows Store), .bat scripts to open browser with specific urls in kiosk (full screen) mode and off course Kodi (latest 16.1 RC2 build) and I control all this with an Universal Remote Control + FLIRC but I also have and use a Logitech k400 keyboard.

For Netflix I use:
http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/ - currently Win10 support only.
... is not perfect but does the job, also note that with Internet Explorer you can get Netflix in 1080p, other browsers can only do up to 720p.
Though your kids might not get used to it so better get a dedicated Remote Control with airmouse and qwerty keyboard to use with official Netflix Metro app and anything else that needs a mouse.

Here check these alternatives to the core/shield:
* Apple TV: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC...rn7wRlfcUL - 2gb/32gb $150
* Dell Inspiron i3050: https://youtu.be/aIaKnWf4peY - 2gb/32gb $150 (You can upgrade RAM and it supports HD audio)
* Kangaroo Mini PC: https://youtu.be/kEG_F-VF5pg - The 2gb/32gb version is only $99 (Best windows option for the price IMO, you can use VLC player or default win video app instead of Kodi to minimize RAM usage).

Here you can also check out "stick form computers" alternatives (not worth it IMO, better options posted above):
HDMI Stick Computers: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC...MrDx8By4xc

You're welcome!.
PS: Its always recommended to watch some reviews and read comments about the device of interest, that way you're sure of what you're buying, the pros and cons.

Enviado desde mi Moto X mediante Tapatalk
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-04-10, 05:19)Shaitan00 Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 04:00)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: You should be able to find something to do both, but sadly like other have found you're not gonna find one that will do both for under $100.00. A Roku 3 has been out for a while and still goes for $99.99. I'm sure the have dipped to $79.99 though..

But the Roku won't stream from my NAS, I'll need a PLEX server (so another PC running somewhere), I don't have a "server" I can use at the moment and really setting up another PC just for that isn't something I am inclined to due.

(2016-04-10, 04:10)tornicade Wrote: you could always get a push2tv for cheap. then you can use tablet, laptop or pc as remote

Not sure how Push2TV helps ... I don't have a PC (or tablet or laptop) I want to dedicate to any of this ... my WD today can work with my NAS and internet (for Netflix), I don't need any additional or external HW ... Using Push2TV for my needs amounts to the same as running a Plex server.

Do you have local content of your own or do you only use Netflix? If so you either need a NAS or you will need to run it off a external drive some how..

(2016-04-10, 07:13)ian-ep Wrote: I'd say get a new (v4) AppleTV. It has native Netflix, Mubi and BBC iPlayer apps - which for me are the essentials for any box. Plus you can run MrMC (Kodi without all the cruft) for local content or, if you can be bothered, sideload a full Kodi installation.

Yes - though the Apple TV 4 is a similar price bracket to the nVidia Shield - and with far more compromises in the Kodi experience (no refresh rate switching being the biggie at the moment, along with more limited audio support)?

If you can get a Windows solution for $100ish - then that's definitely an avenue worth exploring.
Just saying, refresh rate switching, meh. the down side is having to wait for the display to switch and settle. Then switch back when done, quite annoying for that last ounce of perfection. My display takes almost 10 seconds to switch and that kills the instant video startup feeling.

MrMC has the best rendering of 24Hz content on the AppleTV4, even Infuse can't figure it out Smile Renders pretty damn smooth too if you ask me.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
My new 4K TV refresh switches in less than 0.5 secs - it actually does have that instant video startup feeling Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?0