• 429(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-04-15, 03:37)ilovethakush Wrote: I'm confused. A hdmi handshake issue implies that using another hdmi cable would work or at the worst it would be the tv/monitor and connecting it to another one would work.

You seem to be describing a permanent handshake issue aka a broken hdmi port, basically a broken chromebox.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record, I've been using a chromebox for a long time and had no such issue, just wondering.

agreed, this doesn't look like a HDMI handshaking issue, it looks like a hardware or driver issue. It's also one I've never been able to replicate with the dozen or so boxes I've tested, so that leads me to believe it's not a design or implementation issue, but something specific to that box or setup
My box is connected directly to my Sony TV.
Yes its HDMI port misbehaving, when I move HDMI cable a bit I can replicate the handshaking behaviour, but now that the box has been accommodated I don't get it as often as before, I can watch a full movie or more without it misbehaving and when it does its very mild.

I too have being using this box for a long time since it came out and the problems I've reported appeared suddenly and without having been mishandled so hey this kind of things can happen but you never know when, call it bad luck or whatever.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-04-12, 15:07)noggin Wrote: How did you install Kodi - and what version are you running?

Most of us in these parts running Linux with Kodi are using Ubuntu/Kodibuntu, Debian or OpenElec (with a few Arch users) - not sure about GalliumOS. What distro is it based on? (Is it Debian, Arch, Fedora etc. based?)
Quote:it's a (L)Ubuntu LTS based distro that's optimized for ChromeOS hardware (Chromebooks mainly)

GalliumOS is Xubuntu 15.04 based not LTS, at least not yet. They will work on a new build based on 16.04 LTS version once the official stable release be out.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
@matt, thank you for the reply

"there's a good reason that the Kodi devs recommend running Kodi under Linux with a separate session that doesn't load the window manager/compositor etc and just loads Kodi directly "

i am new to linux but having fun learning. i am now researching running Kodi under Linux with a separate session. never knew anything about this, sounds like it may be helpful, if i can learn how to do it.

thanks again for the tip.
Try logging in to the 'kodi' session.

Sent from my U65GT
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-04-16, 00:21)nickr Wrote: Try logging in to the 'kodi' session.

he's running GalliumOS now, so would need to create a separate session for Kodi, unless that's done automatically upon installation (which I don't believe it is)
Hello I posted my problem above without debug log

Now here is my debug log.

Many thanks for any help. And thanks Matt for a great product. Have been loving Kodi on Chromebox hassle free until this issue

http://xbmclogs.com/pruyjrtng

My Asus Chromebox has recently started behaving very oddly when playing videos

Purple lines flash across the screen

Green-tinged frames JUMP in and out

Sometimes it just goes black for a second or two.

All in all it's making it pretty unusable

Has anyone had similar problems? I can post a debug log later when I get home.

I have a feeling it's a hardware issue as it has worked fine for a year or more
(2016-04-16, 01:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-04-16, 00:21)nickr Wrote: Try logging in to the 'kodi' session.

he's running GalliumOS now, so would need to create a separate session for Kodi, unless that's done automatically upon installation (which I don't believe it is)
Matt I hesitate to contradict a man of your experience and knowledge, but on my ubuntu based system kodi installs /usr/share/xsessions/kodi.desktop which contains
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Kodi
Comment=This session will start Kodi media center
Exec=kodi-standalone
TryExec=kodi-standalone
Type=Application

Which I assume makes a kodi session. I could be very wrong of course.

I also assume galliumOS uses the same kodi packages as ubuntu,
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a chromebox with Arch Linux installed. Using Matt's firmware (DMI: Google Panther/Panther, BIOS MattDevo 06/17/2015). Want to update the firmware to the latest version. If I run the ezScript and it gives me following error

Code:
Do you wish to continue? [y/N] y
Reading current firmware
Failure reading current firmware; cannot proceed.

If I run the flashroom tool directly it is what it gives:

Code:
$ sudo /tmp/flashrom  -r bios.bin
flashrom v0.9.4  : bc6cab1 : Oct 30 2014 07:32:01 UTC on Linux 4.5.0-1-ARCH (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.8.x-google 20140307 (prerelease), little endian
Error accessing high tables, 0x100000 bytes at 0x7bf17000
/dev/mem mmap failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed getting access to coreboot high tables.
Error accessing ICH RCRB, 0x4000 bytes at 0xfed1c000
/dev/mem mmap failed: Operation not permitted

The kernel messages are:
Code:
[   80.516156] x86/PAT: flashrom:425 conflicting memory types 7bf17000-7c017000 uncached-minus<->write-back
[   80.516177] x86/PAT: reserve_memtype failed [mem 0x7bf17000-0x7c016fff], track write-back, req write-back
Code:
$ sudo /tmp/flashrom  -r bios.bin
flashrom v0.9.4  : bc6cab1 : Oct 30 2014 07:32:01 UTC on Linux 4.5.0-1-ARCH (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.8.x-google 20140307 (prerelease), little endian

I installed Linux kernel 4.4 and now the script works fine. So it looks like Linux 4.5 has changed the behavior.
(2016-04-17, 05:30)apecta Wrote: I installed Linux kernel 4.4 and now the script works fine. So it looks like Linux 4.5 has changed the behavior.

I was about to ask what kernel you used, but seems you got it sorted. I haven't tested under 4.5 yet, but if there's an issue (vs a config) with flashrom I'll see if I can get it sorted
where i can find source ? to compile myself "OpenELEC 7.0 beta 2 (6.95.2 / Kodi 16.1 rc2)" Huh (your version which you using for EGL)
btw. im testing patch for audio issue over HDMI with Cherry Trail ...i will let know later if works
Sorry for asking this since I'm sure its been answered before, I can't seem to find it - I have OE installed on my Asus Chromebox as standalone, I'd now like to update coreboot and firmware (I know its not strictly needed), so option 6 in the script. How do I get a bash prompt in OE to run the script? And that's all I need to do right (choose option 6)?
(2016-04-17, 13:54)piotrasd Wrote: where i can find source ? to compile myself "OpenELEC 7.0 beta 2 (6.95.2 / Kodi 16.1 rc2)" Huh (your version which you using for EGL)
btw. im testing patch for audio issue over HDMI with Cherry Trail ...i will let know later if works

OpenELEC 6.95.2 (non-EGL): https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/tree/6.95.2
OpenELEC 6.0.398 (w/EGL): https://github.com/MattDevo/OpenELEC.tv/tree/6.0.398

(2016-04-17, 17:26)MrCrispy Wrote: Sorry for asking this since I'm sure its been answered before, I can't seem to find it - I have OE installed on my Asus Chromebox as standalone, I'd now like to update coreboot and firmware (I know its not strictly needed), so option 6 in the script. How do I get a bash prompt in OE to run the script? And that's all I need to do right (choose option 6)?

use a ssh client like Putty to connect to the Chromebox from another PC, then run the standalone OE firmware updater script, which is listed at the bottom of the OP. The EZ Setup Script can't be run under OE as it doesn't have a full shell.
Hi,

I'm trying to use the EZ setup script to dual-boot an Asus CN60 with ChromeOS + OpenElec. The script has created a partition and the Chromebox has "repaired" itself. I downloaded and re- ran the script to install OpenElec but am getting the following error when it tries to download OE:

Code:
curl: option -.tar is unknown
curl: try 'curl --help' or 'curl --manual' for more information
Failed to download OE; trying dropbox mirror

[timestamp]-- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98309225/-.tar
Resolving dl.dropboxusercontent.com... 199.47.217.101
Connecting to dl.dropboxusercontent.com|199.47.217.101|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
[timestamp] ERROR 404: Not Found.

Error: failed to download OpenELEC; check your Internet connection and try again

My connection seems fine from the details of the error and other testing, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Adam
  • 429(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37