Android 5.0 minimum for Kodi v17?
(2016-04-28, 19:40)MrMC Wrote:
(2016-04-28, 19:18)giaur Wrote: I wanted to test MrMC, but it's paid, so no thanks,:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENT3...as_pm_mrmc

Is there any free version to try?

Source code is open -> https://github.com/MrMC/mrmc

Build it, side-load and and you have it free.

Just remember, if you intend to distribute it, you do need our permission to use the MrMC branding.
If you re-brand, you can do what ever you want. Same rules as with Kodi branding.

Just to avoid any possible confusion, MrMC will come down very hard regarding this policy, There will be no free pass.
Ok. But build process is not straightforward.
Kodi, SPMC and MrMC are not simple apps to begin with so yes, the build process is rather complicated.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
I'm sure there's some YouTube video for it Wink

* Martijn runs
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-04-28, 19:50)Koying Wrote:
(2016-04-28, 19:35)MrMC Wrote: Damn, every time I find something to do, koying has already done it Smile I'll need to try harder then. LOL

Feel free to make a donation from your AFTV revenues Big Grin

Sure, on the list after we subtract the overhead from various stores, licensing, providers and taxes and look at the crumbs left on the plate.
(2016-04-28, 20:15)MrMC Wrote: Sure, on the list after we subtract the overhead from various stores, licensing, providers and taxes and look at the crumbs left on the plate.

lol, I can imagine Wink
@MrMC Out of curiosity, did you try to get "approved" or whatever for 4K on AFTV2?
Not having the device myself, so no idea if its a flag on Store + hidden API or anything...

Would probably be a good selling point Wink
(2016-04-28, 20:30)Koying Wrote: @MrMC Out of curiosity, did you try to get "approved" or whatever for 4K on AFTV2?
Not having the device myself, so no idea if its a flag on Store + hidden API or anything...

Would probably be a good selling point Wink

Have not looked into it yet, still saving pennies for a 4K HDTV.

I was going to get a Samsung (bruhahaha) but then I found out they pulled the ability for users to write native apps. Only OEMs can do that. Oh well, their loss.
(2016-04-28, 18:58)MrMC Wrote: MrMC fork will soon be moving to requiring Android-22. There are no devices out there that run something lower that we are interested in supporting. The main road-block is MediaCodec. The sync methods are gone in 22 while in 21 they are still supported. Needs a refactor to the new async methods (and a general clean up too). In the pipe :)

While this is a comment regarding MrMC, I still take it that it means "A better media center needs the newer Android"? As in, there are actual code reasons. Good enough for me, and that is what I will say when people ask. Thanks for the info :)
So no Krypton version on Samsung Galaxy S3. Which is pretty weird, Jarvis runs blindingly fast on that.

Guessing this is just a case of "just because we can DEMAND it runs on the latest Android, we did ".

Therefore instantly wiping out about 90% of your Android customer base without a single care in the world. Well done. I can see your really bothered about your users.
(2016-09-30, 20:50)MoRbIdBoY Wrote: So no Krypton version on Samsung Galaxy S3. Which is pretty weird, Jarvis runs blindingly fast on that.

Guessing this is just a case of "just because we can DEMAND it runs on the latest Android, we did ".

Therefore instantly wiping out about 90% of your Android customer base without a single care in the world. Well done. I can see your really bothered about your users.

It's not about superfluous demands, it's about advances in development for the Android platform. You're free to use legacy hardware for as long as you like.

Kodi 17 cannot accommodate older versions of Android, with advancements come new api calls and methods of doing things which are not supported in older versions. That's not a Kodi thing, it's how life cycles work. If Jarvis works well for you on legacy systems, you can always keep what works.
(2016-09-30, 21:06)shomari Wrote: If Jarvis works well for you on legacy systems, you can always keep what works.

Exactly. You can still use the old version that's supported by your device until you get a new device that supports the new update. Life cycles come and life cycles go, and software keeps getting better and better and sometimes old devices just can't be supported.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
Until people start changing their addon dependencies to Krypton's Python version. Then 90% addons won't work. Personally... and I stand by this statement. You just alienated A LOT of your XBMC / Kodi active user base.

I read that your loosing Android developer(s). OK I get that. But still. I don't think anyone has justified the dropping of Kitkat. It's completely unnecessary.

But... your the devs. Hope you thought it out.
(2016-10-28, 14:22)MoRbIdBoY Wrote: Until people start changing their addon dependencies to Krypton's Python version. Then 90% addons won't work. Personally... and I stand by this statement. You just alienated A LOT of your XBMC / Kodi active user base.

I read that your loosing Android developer(s). OK I get that. But still. I don't think anyone has justified the dropping of Kitkat. It's completely unnecessary.

But... your the devs. Hope you thought it out.

MrMC summed it up pretty well. The only way forward with video decoding requires using the newer APIs. Changing things on that level means Kodi can't realistically be backwards compatible with older Android versions, as video playback would be broken. Unless you just want to use Kodi as a music player only, it wouldn't make sense.
If you buy cheap chinese crap that nevers gets updated then you'll have to accept that you may have to buy a new box at least every couple of years to run the latest version of Kodi, because Android is still a maturing platform for TV boxes and as such there's constant improvements in API's. If you want something that will last longer than that you'll have to pay more for a box from a vendor that does updates, or go with a Linux/Windows box that uses mature API's.
It really was a pity Google discontinued the Nexus line of Android media players, as that was where Android OS updates and support came to first.

As an example the now discontinued Android TV OS capable - Nexus Player has been running Android - 7.0 Nougat since the 23rd August, and literally just this week testing for using ATSC DVB Tuners and Android Nougat's new DVR capabilities, commenced.

Cheap Android from some No name Chinese seller = no support.

Its the way the Tech world works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android 5.0 minimum for Kodi v17?1