• 439(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-05-13, 22:18)docsuess84 Wrote: Good to know. It asked if I wanted to back it up again. So it must not have worked.

newer versions of ChromeOS switch to demo mode after about 15 minutes if you're not logged in, which also kills the network connection for some bizarre reason; I might have to adjust the instructions to log in as a guest and open a terminal via CTRL-ALT-T, and then type 'shell' and 'cd~' before running the script commands
I never thought it would be this hard. Now it says "coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash
(2016-05-14, 07:33)docsuess84 Wrote: I never thought it would be this hard. Now it says "coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash
That's not hard, that's called protecting you from bricking your device
Oops. I wasn't paying attention with my updates today and I accidentally dropped the RPI3 version of LibreELEC in the update folder. Now the kernel won't boot and displays Booting Kernel failed:Invalid argument. What steps do I need to take to get the correct LibreELEC installed again on my Chromebox?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Okay. I did an install from LibreELEC USB. Now I just need to get my backup restored. Thanks!
(2016-05-14, 08:36)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-05-14, 07:33)docsuess84 Wrote: I never thought it would be this hard. Now it says "coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash
That's not hard, that's called protecting you from bricking your device

No I get it, and I'm grateful that I didn't brick my device, I just didn't think I'd run into so many stumbling blocks. How do I resolve this one? Start the script all over again?
(2016-05-14, 17:33)darebee Wrote: Oops. I wasn't paying attention with my updates today and I accidentally dropped the RPI3 version of LibreELEC in the update folder. Now the kernel won't boot and displays Booting Kernel failed:Invalid argument. What steps do I need to take to get the correct LibreELEC installed again on my Chromebox?

Thanks in advance.
Download the correct installer image, create the USB install media, boot it, select the update/repair option

(2016-05-14, 17:38)docsuess84 Wrote: No I get it, and I'm grateful that I didn't brick my device, I just didn't think I'd run into so many stumbling blocks. How do I resolve this one? Start the script all over again?

Yes, but if your network connection has timed out, best to restart first
@matt Devo, great product, thank you very much.

Dell Chromebox, working fine with Openelec now. Single-boot, the system is on the internal SSD.
I have a 1TB 2,5' HDD connected for media.
It was connected via SATA-USB2.0 adapter and ntfs-formated.
Seabios was set to boot from USB (for personal reasons) and the system booted normally as the HDD was not bootable. There was no 5s delay.

Now I've got an USB3.0 enclouser, repartitioned the HDD and formated the only primary partition to ext4.
Boot flag is not set.
But the system always tries to boot from the HDD now and I had to set Seabios to boot always from the internal SSD.
There's 5s dalay always now, despite the HDD is not bootable.

Is there anything to do with this problem?
(2016-05-14, 20:12)bbsc Wrote: @matt Devo, great product, thank you very much.

Dell Chromebox, working fine with Openelec now. Single-boot, the system is on the internal SSD.
I have a 1TB 2,5' HDD connected for media.
It was connected via SATA-USB2.0 adapter and ntfs-formated.
Seabios was set to boot from USB (for personal reasons) and the system booted normally as the HDD was not bootable. There was no 5s delay.

Now I've got an USB3.0 enclouser, repartitioned the HDD and formated the only primary partition to ext4.
Boot flag is not set.
But the system always tries to boot from the HDD now and I had to set Seabios to boot always from the internal SSD.
There's 5s dalay always now, despite the HDD is not bootable.

Is there anything to do with this problem?

the only thing I can think of to explain the difference is that your old SATA->USB2 adapter wasn't registering properly because of a HW issue, ot because of a lack of boot flag, and that's why you didn't have any delay. Your new USB3 adapter/enclsure does register properly, and so you get the 5s timeout in order to have the option to select it from the boot menu. The boot flag only comes into play when you go to boot the device, not when the list of potential boot devices is being generated
(2016-05-15, 02:03)Matt Devo Wrote: your old SATA->USB2 adapter wasn't registering properly

Thank you for the explanation. Seems you're right. I returned the old USB2.0 adapter and the delay is gone.
Pity, it was more convenient when the bios did not try to boot from USB with external storage present.
(2016-05-15, 07:04)bbsc Wrote: Thank you for the explanation. Seems you're right. I returned the old USB2.0 adapter and the delay is gone.
Pity, it was more convenient when the bios did not try to boot from USB with external storage present.

You can always remove/adjust the boot menu delay (eg, set to 1s) if it really bothers you, but that's not something automated by the script
(2016-05-15, 07:23)Matt Devo Wrote: You can always remove/adjust the boot menu delay
It's a good idea.
Can you tell me how to configure it? I don't see show-boot-menu or boot-menu-wait variables in the script Sad
Thank you in advance.
Ok, I've rebooted, and re-run the script and I'm still getting the same corrupted download checksum error for the firmware. Any thoughts?
(2016-05-15, 13:53)bbsc Wrote: It's a good idea.
Can you tell me how to configure it? I don't see show-boot-menu or boot-menu-wait variables in the script Sad
Thank you in advance.

hit me up on IRC or google hangouts and I'll walk you thru it, easiest that way

(2016-05-15, 18:31)docsuess84 Wrote: Ok, I've rebooted, and re-run the script and I'm still getting the same corrupted download checksum error for the firmware. Any thoughts?

something is causing the download to be corrupted or otherwise fail, that's the only cause for that error. I just double checked the files and tested the script here, there are no issues this end
Is the firmware necessary? I have a libreelec image on a usb drive. If it is, I wonder if it would make a difference to log in as a guest and open a terminal the other way you mentioned. Could you write the commands with the extra stuff you were talking about?
Edit: I tried to update the Seabios and that gave a similar corrupted download error. Is there an alternate method to download the firmware and update it without downloading it directly? My thought was I could download it somewhere with a faster more reliable internet connection and bring it back home.
(2016-05-15, 19:59)docsuess84 Wrote: Is the firmware necessary?
yes

Quote:I wonder if it would make a difference to log in as a guest and open a terminal the other way you mentioned. Could you write the commands with the extra stuff you were talking about?
worth a try:
Quote:Is there an alternate method to download the firmware and update it without downloading it directly? My thought was I could download it somewhere with a faster more reliable internet connection and bring it back home.

no, because the script performs operations on the downloaded file which are far too extensive to type out / run manually. Is there another location you can try at which might be better than your home connection?
  • 439(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37