IR Receiver hole in KODI case?
I must be missing something. The very basic need for a home theater is a universal remote. These remotes are, at least at the affordable end, IR in nature. Not the least of which most (if not all) A/V equipment requires the use of an IR remote to control them. So the least common denominator is an IR remote.

I understand that the Raspberry Pi has USB and Bluetooth, both of which can allow for control via keyboard/mouse and/or USB I/R remote but it seems most op to wire an IR receiver via RPi GPIO. That makes sense. Why is there no where to mount a 3 conductor plug in any case? Especially the made-for-kodi one? I mean it would be so simple to include a 1/8 inch jack or something in there with the 3 wires to attach to the GPIO at least as an option.

Am I missing something? I purchased one of these cases (looks nice BTW) and am contemplating carefully drilling above and between the HDMI and A/V holes in the case to facilitate a jack.

Any thoughts on this?
If your TV supports CEC you can use your TV infra-red remote to control the Raspberry Pi. You also have a USB port for an IR dongle, such as the one sold by FLIRC which will work with any remote.

The GPIO route probably isn't the most popular solution given the alternatives.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Not a good solution for the general user. I am looking for a solution that I could just throw on an old TV or equipment to make a decent home theater solution. The IR capabilities are a must.
(2016-07-24, 18:45)jglazer63 Wrote: I am looking for a solution that I could just throw on an old TV or equipment to make a decent home theater solution. The IR capabilities are a must.
An old TV never makes a decent home theater solution. As a developer that works on HDMI-CEC drivers for other ARM-Devices I can't disagree more.

Gerald
Yep my old (2 year old) tv would be a horrible solution. But, that's all I got. And this isn't a question just to solve my issues, its a solution I'd like to supply to my family. So it appears I am not wrong in my supposition that there is definitely a need for a port on the kodi case to support and IR receiver.
(2016-07-24, 18:45)jglazer63 Wrote: Not a good solution for the general user. I am looking for a solution that I could just throw on an old TV or equipment to make a decent home theater solution. The IR capabilities are a must.

All the "standard" solutions are absolutely fine for the "general" user, while adding a GPIO receiver is not really what the general user wants to get involved with. Adding the FLIRC dongle will give you a working solution that is easier to use than GPIO, and won't require case modification.

If you really want to go the GPIO route then I guess you bought the wrong case, but drilling a hole shouldn't be too difficult.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-07-24, 19:10)jglazer63 Wrote: Yep my old (2 year old) tv would be a horrible solution. But, that's all I got. And this isn't a question just to solve my issues, its a solution I'd like to supply to my family. So it appears I am not wrong in my supposition that there is definitely a need for a port on the kodi case to support and IR receiver.
2 years is not old and very likely supports CEC, have you tried it?
Not interested. Trying to find a solution that works for all TVs with or without CEC. Need a complete I/R solution. So looking for drill bit....
Try doing your research before buying next time.
Lol, I looked at a number of cases. I figured I'd get one that supports the KODI project. Just surprised there's no prevision for an IR receiver. Did all sorts of research before I bought it. So, again, my supposition stands, I need to drill my own hole and setup an IR jack on my own.
I will never ever again use any solution for IR that need me to configure/use LIRC. After I found FLIRC I will never look back to any other IR solution. I find it nicer/cooler to have a TV/media solution that is "invisible". So hiding the RPi behind the TV works fine with FLIRC. Very good IR receiver.
(2016-07-24, 20:39)raptorjr Wrote: I will never ever again use any solution for IR that need me to configure/use LIRC. After I found FLIRC I will never look back to any other IR solution. I find it nicer/cooler to have a TV/media solution that is "invisible". So hiding the RPi behind the TV works fine with FLIRC. Very good IR receiver.
Doesn't that work with any receiver? Or with cec? Huh
(2016-07-24, 20:49)trogggy Wrote: Doesn't that work with any receiver? Or with cec? Huh

The FLIRC receiver/dongle is IR based, and works with any remote control (the receiver is programmable/learning).

http://thepihut.com/pages/flirc-a-review...-companion

The RPi supports CEC out of the box, no additional expense required for CEC (just a compatible TV).

A FLIRC case and FLIRC receiver bundle is perhaps a missed sales opportunity.
(2016-07-24, 21:00)Milhouse Wrote:
(2016-07-24, 20:49)trogggy Wrote: Doesn't that work with any receiver? Or with cec? Huh

The FLIRC receiver/dongle is IR based, and works with any remote control (the receiver is programmable/learning).

http://thepihut.com/pages/flirc-a-review...-companion

The RPi supports CEC out of the box, no additional expense required for CEC (just a compatible TV).

A FLIRC case and FLIRC receiver bundle is perhaps a missed sales opportunity.

Maybe we're at cross-purposes here... I know what it is - just confused as to why being able to stick your pi behind the telly is being given as the big advantage - when you can do that with any old receiver.
I guess some receivers might be a bit more directional?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR Receiver hole in KODI case?0