• 110(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
Want to purchase a shield tv to use for kodi but have a couple questions.

1. I've read that early Gen fire tv remotes that are BT can be paired to the shield tv. Can you have the stock nvidia remote AND a fire tv BT remote both registered and use both of them? My wife and I both like to have working remotes. If so, can you have 2 BT remotes paired AND 1 stock remote?

2. Does the game controller headphone port pass sound in Kodi, or only in game playing?

3. What are your thoughts on the stock remote for Kodi? For someone used to and likes the Fire remotes, have you come to like the nvidia remote also?

4. Is there a way to disable the voice search on the stock remote and controller?

5. Best method to play Amazon Video. Last I looked, it was still not available in playstore.

Thanks.
1) yes

2) Both

3) Meh. I like the Fire TV remote a little better. Shield remote is usable, though.

4) Not sure

5) Last I heard you could either sideload it and use a special Amazon Video launcher, or you can use the Amazon website in Chome if you use "desktop mode".
If you use Fire TV voice remote, It works somehow.

I've installed amazon prime apk from sony android tv. Amazon prime works good, but it only works with shield remote, Fire TV remote cannot control Amazon app.

System level voice search works with Fire TV remote, but youture voice serach not working. Only shield remote can do both in my case.

In my case, only fire tv wifi direct remote works (recent fire tv remote) with the above limitations, not bluetooth remote. Amazon has three versions of remote.

Overall android tv experience on Shield, stock remote is better, but for Kodi, fire remote is better for more buttons, play, pause and context menus.
(2016-10-11, 00:34)Ned Scott Wrote: 1) yes

2) Both

3) Meh. I like the Fire TV remote a little better. Shield remote is usable, though.

4) Not sure

5) Last I heard you could either sideload it and use a special Amazon Video launcher, or you can use the Amazon website in Chome if you use "desktop mode".

Thank you. One more question. I already have a shield tv remote. It's brand new and I've plugged it into charge into two different usb plugs and it never stops flashing green. Isn't it supposed to stop flashing green when fully charged? Does it make a difference that it's not paired to any shield tv's yet, since I don't have one yet, or do I have a defective remote?
(2016-10-11, 00:22)Axxel6307 Wrote: Want to purchase a shield tv to use for kodi but have a couple questions.

1. I've read that early Gen fire tv remotes that are BT can be paired to the shield tv. Can you have the stock nvidia remote AND a fire tv BT remote both registered and use both of them? My wife and I both like to have working remotes. If so, can you have 2 BT remotes paired AND 1 stock remote?

2. Does the game controller headphone port pass sound in Kodi, or only in game playing?

3. What are your thoughts on the stock remote for Kodi? For someone used to and likes the Fire remotes, have you come to like the nvidia remote also?

4. Is there a way to disable the voice search on the stock remote and controller?

5. Best method to play Amazon Video. Last I looked, it was still not available in playstore.

Thanks.

1 & 3. Yes, you can pair multiple BT remotes (not multiple Shield remotes though). The best remote is going to be a Harmony Smart Control HUB, you can use it as IR & BT, it will also allow you to use a tablet/phone as a keyboard with the Harmony app, which is great for text input. The Shield remote is fine, but because of it's simplicity there's a lot that you want be able to do, especially in Kodi.

4. There should be no reason to disable the voice search, it's only active if you press the button on the remote.

4. All you need to do is sideload the Sony version of the Amazon video app, found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...g-mostly-/
You won't need to do anything else, no launcher needed, it acts just like any other Android TV app. The only downside is that you're limited to 1080p video and only 2.0 audio.

(2016-10-11, 02:32)Axxel6307 Wrote: Thank you. One more question. I already have a shield tv remote. It's brand new and I've plugged it into charge into two different usb plugs and it never stops flashing green. Isn't it supposed to stop flashing green when fully charged? Does it make a difference that it's not paired to any shield tv's yet, since I don't have one yet, or do I have a defective remote?

It's probably continuously flashing because it's trying to find a Shield to pair with, I know the controller will do this if it's not paired with a Shield, but I can't remember if the controller also does it.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-10-11, 04:29)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-10-11, 00:22)Axxel6307 Wrote: Want to purchase a shield tv to use for kodi but have a couple questions.

Thanks.

1 & 3. Yes, you can pair multiple BT remotes (not multiple Shield remotes though). The best remote is going to be a Harmony Smart Control HUB, you can use it as IR & BT, it will also allow you to use a tablet/phone as a keyboard with the Harmony app, which is great for text input. The Shield remote is fine, but because of it's simplicity there's a lot that you want be able to do, especially in Kodi.

4. There should be no reason to disable the voice search, it's only active if you press the button on the remote.

4. All you need to do is sideload the Sony version of the Amazon video app, found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...g-mostly-/
You won't need to do anything else, no launcher needed, it acts just like any other Android TV app. The only downside is that you're limited to 1080p video and only 2.0 audio.

(2016-10-11, 02:32)Axxel6307 Wrote: Thank you. One more question. I already have a shield tv remote. It's brand new and I've plugged it into charge into two different usb plugs and it never stops flashing green. Isn't it supposed to stop flashing green when fully charged? Does it make a difference that it's not paired to any shield tv's yet, since I don't have one yet, or do I have a defective remote?

It's probably continuously flashing because it's trying to find a Shield to pair with, I know the controller will do this if it's not paired with a Shield, but I can't remember if the controller also does it.

Thanks!
Do you know anywhere to buy a shield tv remote case/cover? It's a bit thin and slippery.
Just got my shield tv I ordered from best buy which is supposed to be the console and game controller only for 199 and I ended up also getting the remote included somehow. Good stuff!!
^^ Yep, happened to me when I went to BBuy. So psyched!
Hi everyone!

I´m also thinking about to buy a Nvidia Shield TV, but I do have a couple of questions. Today I´m running a raspberry pi 2 with openelec, but since i want to have access to netflix and amazon tv the pi isn´t the best option anymore.
My setup: 1080p TV, A/V-Receiver, 5.1 loudspeaker setup

1. Does the Shield handle different output refresh rates correctly in 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4? (23,976, 25, 30, 50,60)
2. Is the box able to passthrough dts-hd, true-hd, atmos seamlessly?
3. Is there a way to start netflix and amazon tv out from the kodi interface?
4. Am I able to pair my phone with the Shield to control it with Yatse Remote?
5. If someone knows the Xbox Media Remote, would it be possible to get this thing running on the shield via IR?
6. I heard the shield is getting out of stock now at most resellers, will there be a new box coming soon?

Lots of questions, I hope some of you guys could give me some answers.

thx,
maskedrider
1. Shield doesn't support YCbCr 4:4:4 so no. SPMC can set refresh rates in RGB 4:4:4: 8 bit mode, no other apps can
2. Some apps can pass through Atmos/HD DTS-HD/DTS:X some can't.
3. shield doesn't officially support Amazon so no.
4. Not sure, whilst in kodi or spmc you can use the kodi smartphone remote app.
5. The shield doesn't use IR for remote it uses BT, you would have to buy an IR adaptor and side load an android driver, then find some mapping software...
6. There have been rumours of a new box, but I doubt it is coming soon, let's hope it is a lot better than this one, I for one won't be buying it till it is verified to play 4K 10bit @24HZ with Atmos pass through ( which the shield can't do).
(2016-10-12, 09:40)maskedrider Wrote: 3. Is there a way to start netflix and amazon tv out from the kodi interface?

thx,
maskedrider

So for this question, actually, I do launch both Netflix and Amazon TV through Kodi (16.1), it's super easy to setup, and will work with any Android App (and the best part, when you exit the App, your back in Kodi).

In Kodi, go to Programs, Android programs, then add them to your Favorites. You can then create a shortcut for these apps (if your Skin will allow it, I'm using Aeon MQ7), so you can launch them from your home screen within Kodi.
(2016-10-12, 17:33)Powerhouse Wrote: So for this question, actually, I do launch both Netflix and Amazon TV through Kodi (16.1), it's super easy to setup, and will work with any Android App (and the best part, when you exit the App, your back in Kodi).
Curious, how is your Shield TV set up for allowing an Android app to exit back into Kodi?
(2016-10-12, 17:51)mjbxx Wrote: Curious, how is your Shield TV set up for allowing an Android app to exit back into Kodi?

Nothing to be setup. If an app is launched thru Kodi, Kodi stays "under" the app in the stack, so exiting the app will get you back in Kodi.
(2016-10-12, 09:40)maskedrider Wrote: Hi everyone!

1. Does the Shield handle different output refresh rates correctly in 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4? (23,976, 25, 30, 50,60)
2. Is the box able to passthrough dts-hd, true-hd, atmos seamlessly?
3. Is there a way to start netflix and amazon tv out from the kodi interface?
4. Am I able to pair my phone with the Shield to control it with Yatse Remote?
5. If someone knows the Xbox Media Remote, would it be possible to get this thing running on the shield via IR?
6. I heard the shield is getting out of stock now at most resellers, will there be a new box coming soon?

Lots of questions, I hope some of you guys could give me some answers.

thx,
maskedrider

1. Yes, the Shield supports YCbCr (was enabled in 3.2, see 1st post). However, there is an issue currently were it will default back to RGB when auto refresh rate switching is used (will be fixed in next update).
2. Yes, but is app dependent.
3. As already stated yes.
4. Yes, Kodi/SPMC works with Yatse just as any other device.
5. No, IR is limited to Harmony remotes. The best remote that you can use with the Shield is a Harmony Smart Control HUB, which will give you the most control. If you want to use some other remote, get a Flirc.
6. No one knows, and Nvidia is not saying (even to those of us that have inside info). But the best guess is that if a new box is to come out there probably won't be an announcement until Jan at CES 2017.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 110(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6