• 64(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
I've done all the steps but when I ask kodi to do anything it says that skill is not enabled.
It also says playing videos is not supported on this device
Do only and exactly what the README says to do. You are not publishing the skill, so the last two tabs go unfilled.
I've done exactly as the readme suggests.
On the setting up the skill bit the set up screens look a little different to those on the readme. There's no SSL part. I've saved it instead of publishing it.

I've done exactly as the readme says and where it hasn't specified How to do something I've relied on a third party guide. It seems like my Amazon Echo doesn't have the skill enabled. I don't recall at any point telling my echo to enable the skill - can't see anything about this in the readme.
Finished up setting this up and its working pretty good so far. Its somewhat kinda slow when trying to locate (searching database) and start a movie. Just wondering I have several smart playlist and what is the command to have kodi play these playlist? I have try "Alexa ask Kodi listen to (name) playlist" " "Alexa ask Kodi to play (name) playlist" and kodi nothing happens. Is there a command I could say that will work? I did add a slot for my playlist onto Amazon site. Thanks
(2017-01-27, 21:07)jingai Wrote: I'm honestly not sure.. you're not the only one complaining about this, but I can't see how the skill itself could be to blame Sad

Thanks Jingai. Not blaming the skill at all jut trying to figure out what's wrong. It's weird because sometimes it's working and sometimes it doesn't. Overall it's very nice , I wish it could be done locally instead of going through internet. Like HABridge and hue emulator
(2017-01-27, 18:14)rmohsen Wrote: Thanks a lot , it worked better with " watch movie " but I get different responses , sometimes video is not supported on this device , other times Alexa can't find the skill or just no reply at all. Same with TV shows and music. I have around 1300 movie in my library

This is a long shot, but you might try changing the invocation name to something with more syllables than "kodi". Something like "the living room" or "the television". I've read reports of people having similar issues that were fixed by doing this even though it doesn't seem like it would be related.
(2017-01-28, 03:21)rmohsen Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 21:07)jingai Wrote: I'm honestly not sure.. you're not the only one complaining about this, but I can't see how the skill itself could be to blame Sad

Thanks Jingai. Not blaming the skill at all jut trying to figure out what's wrong. It's weird because sometimes it's working and sometimes it doesn't. Overall it's very nice , I wish it could be done locally instead of going through internet. Like HABridge and hue emulator

You can host it locally if you want to go through the effort of setting up a web server on your own.
(2017-01-27, 23:43)sphirst Wrote: I've done exactly as the readme says and where it hasn't specified How to do something I've relied on a third party guide.

Don't do that. If it's not in the README on github, then it means you shouldn't be doing it.

I don't know where you've gone wrong, but you need to follow the README exactly first.

You've gone wrong somewhere and you need to retrace your steps.
(2017-01-28, 01:39)dazz87 Wrote: Just wondering I have several smart playlist and what is the command to have kodi play these playlist? I have try "Alexa ask Kodi listen to (name) playlist" " "Alexa ask Kodi to play (name) playlist" and kodi nothing happens. Is there a command I could say that will work?

Because of the way Amazon determines a slot to be generic, you have to say it very precisely for slots that don't have many entries, like the playlists slot tends to.

That said, for all media types currently, you should specify the media type in your request, e.g.:

"Alexa, ask Kodi to play [audio|music|song] playlist <foo>"

If you use the verb "listen to" it will infer that you mean a music playlist. If you use "watch" it will assume a video playlist.

Soon, "play" will work better than it does currently, but we're ironing out some core changes first.
(2017-01-28, 09:42)jingai Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 03:21)rmohsen Wrote:

You can host it locally if you want to go through the effort of setting up a web server on your own.

Any idea how to do that ? I have no experience in this at all but hoping there is an easy guide out there
I think I'm going to have to give up on this and wait for the new version of the readme or installation to come through and try again.

I've followed all the steps on GitHub to the letter and still something is going wrong. The app is enabled, all my poets are open as it can be accessed by the slot generator app so again I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.

By the way I'm trying to do this with my raspberry pi that is running Kodi and retropi. Do you think that might be causing problems?
(2017-01-28, 12:57)sphirst Wrote: I think I'm going to have to give up on this and wait for the new version of the readme or installation to come through and try again.

I've followed all the steps on GitHub to the letter and still something is going wrong. The app is enabled, all my poets are open as it can be accessed by the slot generator app so again I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.

By the way I'm trying to do this with my raspberry pi that is running Kodi and retropi. Do you think that might be causing problems?

Try this video , I couldn't do it using the readme only but finally got it working after watching the video

https://youtu.be/_KSlz_lT1k4
(2017-01-28, 11:52)rmohsen Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 09:42)jingai Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 03:21)rmohsen Wrote: Thanks Jingai. Not blaming the skill at all jut trying to figure out what's wrong. It's weird because sometimes it's working and sometimes it doesn't. Overall it's very nice , I wish it could be done locally instead of going through internet. Like HABridge and hue emulator

Any idea how to do that ? I have no experience in this at all but hoping there is an easy guide out there

Running the skill on a web server locally will still require the phrase to go out to Amazon and back again. This type of custom skill is not like the "smart home" skill that habridge uses. Only smart home skills are kept local, and they only allow on/off/percentage commands.

Maybe try reducing the number of films in your movies slot list to around 200 and seeing if that helps. The slots are not definitive lists that need to match everything in your library, they are used to help break up the phrase alexa hears into chunks that the skill is programmed to receive. It's complicated, as In some situations having the movie in your library as a slot entry can be the difference between it working and not.

And don't forget to go through your cards in the alexa app and say yes or no when asked if it did things correctly. This really helps with recognition across all alexa skills and built in features.
(2017-01-28, 15:01)digiltd Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 11:52)rmohsen Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 09:42)jingai Wrote: You can host it locally if you want to go through the effort of setting up a web server on your own.

Running the skill on a web server locally will still require the phrase to go out to Amazon and back again. This type of custom skill is not like the "smart home" skill that habridge uses. Only smart home skills are kept local, and they only allow on/off/percentage commands.

Maybe try reducing the number of films in your movies slot list to around 200 and seeing if that helps. The slots are not definitive lists that need to match everything in your library, they are used to help break up the phrase alexa hears into chunks that the skill is programmed to receive. It's complicated, as In some situations having the movie in your library as a slot entry can be the difference between it working and not.

And don't forget to go through your cards in the alexa app and say yes or no when asked if it did things correctly. This really helps with recognition across all alexa skills and built in features.

I deleted everything and started over from creating the skill . Added 200 movies only and it's now working perfectly. Thank you so much

Sent from my iPad
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15