v17 Kodi 17 Video Playback is unusable
Linux Mint 17, Linux kernel 4.+, 2 gig ram, core2

I know this machine is a little underpowered but it has no problem playing any video outside KODI. Local movies play very slow. Plugins like MeTV play very slow. Youtube plays very slow. Everything is so slow now. 16.1 was a champ. I would go back to 16+ of KODI but can not do that either.

I have enjoyed kodi for some time now. One of it's strongest points was its ability to reuse older hardware. If someone knows how to go back to 16, I thank you now.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Debug_log
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
[removed]
1) Please post a LINK to your http://kodi.wiki/view/Debug_log do not post in the thread.

2) That was not a debug log. Please read the instructions in the link.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
http://pastebin.com/8ZWFBvjT

I put it in debug mode and here is the log. The only way out of KODI while a video is playing is to go to the OS and kill the program.

FYI - I did an upgrade. When that did not work I uninstalled the software and did a fresh install. I have tried both local networked videos and MeTV and Youtube Plugins. The results are the same.

I hope I did this right this time.
you are running Kodi on a 3 year old version of Ubuntu. That's os much too old for getting hardware acceleration (VAAPI) working and you CPU is not powerful enough.
http://pastebin.com/8ZWFBvjT

I managed to start the video and stop it using hotkeys. Trying to use the remote to do this is impossible the way things are now. I also enabled debug logging and restarted KODI 17. This should be a much better and more complete log. Thank you for looking into this. Have a great day
No sir I am running it on Linux mint 17.3. It is based on 14.04 LTS This is how Linux Mint works now. When Mint 17 was created 14.04 was the last long-term version that they had. 17.3 is only a year old and supposed to be supported until 2019.
As to the power of the CPU, it seems to work just fine with 16.1 or any video outside of KODI. I get what you're saying but this has hindered what was one of KODI's strongest pluses. It was great to be able to get some use out of an older machine instead of throwing it away. I would be happy to go back to 16.1 if that is possible.
Upgrading to mint 18 that is based on 16.04 LTS. I will post results
Ok so I am updated to mint 18.1. That is based on 16.04 LTS. I reinstalled KODI from the software manager. It installed 15.2. At least that works. I would really like a way to at least get back to 16. Anyway, it's really to bad that the choices that were made in this new version left the lower powers machines with nothing to do but hit the scrap yard. This software has been such a pillar example of what can be done with open source. I guess what I don't understand is why low res youtube videos can't play, or why local movies can't play in kodi but outside everything works just fine. Thank you for your hard work and don't misunderstand me. I know sometimes choices have to be made. Have a great night
(2017-02-12, 02:46)vtimmons Wrote: Anyway, it's really to bad that the choices that were made in this new version left the lower powers machines with nothing to do but hit the scrap yard.

You are not correct. Kodi runs nicely on low power machines. you just need the correct drivers. Those don't come with a 3 years old OS, Ubuntu 14.04. I think you should move your complaints to the forum of Linux Mint. They don't seem to provide a properly built package for Kodi.
use our PPAs
Try this: Go to system > System settings > Disable Dithering

I had the same problem but i also disable the hardware acceleration in Player settings

Everything works fine now
I did update the OS to the newest version of Mint. It is based on 16.04. I guess I am little nerves to try it again 17 again based on what you said about the speed of my processor. As to Mint it will be bassed of 16.04 until 18.04. Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 Video Playback is unusable0