Most simple stable os for raspberry Pi3 ?
Hi, I have a Raspberry Pi3, which os is the most stable for watching 1080p bluray iso/m2ts files, only to watch with great fluid and good sound in 5.1, I have a samsung 24p TV and a Onkyo 5.1 receiver.( I like to having the Pi3 and Kodi to do the encoding of the sound, Truehd and dts Hd master to LPCM 5.1.)

I now have Openelec (Kodi 15.2)and it works ok, I have tried libreelec and osmc, but didnt like them as much as the Openelec.

I only want an os that is : stable, good picture in 1080p, perfect sound LPCM 5.1 with no audio dropouts or other strange issues.
Wich one would you start with for this purpose?
(2017-07-20, 13:40)hundrakg Wrote: Hi, I have a Raspberry Pi3, which os is the most stable for watching 1080p bluray iso/m2ts files, only to watch with great fluid and good sound in 5.1, I have a samsung 24p TV and a Onkyo 5.1 receiver.( I like to having the Pi3 and Kodi to do the encoding of the sound, Truehd and dts Hd master to LPCM 5.1.)

I now have Openelec (Kodi 15.2)and it works ok, I have tried libreelec and osmc, but didnt like them as much as the Openelec.

I only want an os that is : stable, good picture in 1080p, perfect sound LPCM 5.1 with no audio dropouts or other strange issues.
Personally I would like World Peace to be big thing, but as far as I understand, that is also still a work-in-progress.

What didn't you like about LibreELEC and OSMC? RPi3 builds have been one of the most stable builds (as long as no shady addons are installed).

Currently there are nightlies of Kodi 18, meaning you are currently using a 3-year old software package. A lot has changed internally since then.
Smooth 1080p on RPi3? That's a lot to ask. Perhaps the OS isn't the issue.

But LibreElec all the way. It's designed for Kodi, and very well optimised.
LE Milhouse nightly works great, but if you don't like Alpha/beta software then take an LE Krypton build. Either play my BluRay rips perfectly on a non-overclocked RPi2... 7.1 sound decoded by Kodi and sent to my Denon receiver.

Any recent builds of LE/OE/OSMC will look different if you're using Confluence in OE15.2 as they have newer skins. But they should all work better due to recent improvements.
(2017-07-21, 02:31)doug Wrote: LE Milhouse nightly works great, but if you don't like Alpha/beta software then take an LE Krypton build. Either play my BluRay rips perfectly on a non-overclocked RPi2... 7.1 sound decoded by Kodi and sent to my Denon receiver.

Any recent builds of LE/OE/OSMC will look different if you're using Confluence in OE15.2 as they have newer skins. But they should all work better due to recent improvements.

thanks, could you put som direct links to one or two of the options please, When I go to the libreELEC site I get all confused of all the versions Smile
Maybee a link to one Nightly and one Final Krytpon build.

Thanks
Nightly/Milhouse build: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298461
Latest and greatest version. New features (e.g. DRM videos like Netflix/Amazon Prime).
But don't use this if you need stability. You will get occasional breakages from new commits.

Stable/Krypton: https://libreelec.tv/downloads/
Easiest is to use the installer. Just download for that platform you will create the sdcard on (e.g. windows)
and then when you run the installer you can choose a Pi0/Pi1 image or a Pi2/P3 image.
(2017-07-20, 19:59)mcelliott Wrote: Smooth 1080p on RPi3? That's a lot to ask.
Rubbish. As long as it is h.264 or mpeg2 you'll be fine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-21, 23:02)nickr Wrote:
(2017-07-20, 19:59)mcelliott Wrote: Smooth 1080p on RPi3? That's a lot to ask.
Rubbish. As long as it is h.264 or mpeg2 you'll be fine.

Fair enough.Looks like the OP shouldn't have a problem then. Wink
(2017-07-20, 19:59)mcelliott Wrote: Smooth 1080p on RPi3? That's a lot to ask. Perhaps the OS isn't the issue.

No it's not. I have no problems playing 1080/50p 30Mbs+ H264 with DTS-HD MA audio stuff on my Pi 3... (and 1080/50p is pushing the Pi's spec I think).

1080/23.976p H264, VC-1 or MPEG2 stuff plays back fine - with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA lossless decoding to 5.1/7.1 PCM.

LibreElec works well for me.
I have librerelec on both of my pi3 here, both can play 1080p smoothly out of the box x, along with audio pass through too, just use the latest stable build
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
thanks, will try the latest LE stable....
bringing up a matter I have always wanted to know: How much load is on the raspberry Pi3 during 1080p 24hz in Kodi, CPU and GPU?
Has anyone looked at that, I always wanted to know
That will probably depend on the video's bitrate. So it will vary.
But plenty of videos make a RPi go to 95+ percent and the video will play fine.
(2017-08-21, 10:19)hundrakg Wrote: bringing up a matter I have always wanted to know: How much load is on the raspberry Pi3 during 1080p 24hz in Kodi, CPU and GPU?
Has anyone looked at that, I always wanted to know
As you said you were trying the latest LE on one a month ago, I assume that you can tell us?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
how do you check? I will do it for sure but dont know how? The cpu I can do, if its the same as in windows, you press "O" during play, but how do you check GPU load?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most simple stable os for raspberry Pi3 ?0