• 67(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Im getting a shield TV tommorow. I have been using my pc for a long time and after a year am switching back to a shield.

Could someone please help me?

Wich is the kodi version to go for with a shield at the moment? Should i use SPMC or Kodi? And wich version?
I've heard whispers that Google has something called a Playpen or Kidstore where they keep all the goodies.

There may or not be a secret knock required to get in the door. But once in it's point and click apparently Wink

are you refering to me? I just wanted to know if its best to use spmc or kodi and wich version? With my last shield a year ago kryptons video player was still very buggy on shield.
Both should work very well. I use Krypton from PlayStore and don’t see any problems in my constellation with my equipment (avr, tv).

My shield is at the latest firmware (shield experience 6.2).

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Are the nightlys recomended?
I would start with krypton. If everything you need works as expected, you can try/test the nightlies.

Nightlies are for testing purposes only, even if they are really stable sometimes.
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
do any versions support googles assistant yet?
I read that it is still not supported by the shield’s AndroidTV OS for us german users at the moment.

Ok thanks, Then ill just try out both the Kodi and SPMC from the Playstore and see wich one works out the best for my setup. Thanks for youre help. just wasnt sure... A year two ago it was recommended to use spmc since koying droped as a maintainer. Has anything changed on the Dev status of Kodi for Android since then. Is Developement back do normal?
Yes, the Kodi developement for android is ongoing. But I do not know who the developer/s is/are. Maybe anybody else can tell us? Wink

As far as Home Automation goes:
Does the shield have an ir blaster to switch chanels of my tv and so on. I am able to turn it on and off with my google home mini but thats all i could do for now. Anyone have expirience with google home features?
I have also bought a Shield now and for me HDR only works if I fix the resolution and colour space. Auto resolution (1080p/2160p) and colour space change doesn't work automatically with SPMC/KODI. Is there any solution or workaround?
Has anyone found a cover for the shield in the UK? The glossy top and glossy sides and front ( the stripes ) just scratch way to easy. I clean mine with a microfibre cloth and its completely out the way and even by just cleaning with the microfibre, they is fine scratches all over it.
(2017-12-18, 13:53)busta.rhymes Wrote: As far as Home Automation goes:
Does the shield have an ir blaster to switch chanels of my tv and so on. I am able to turn it on and off with my google home mini but thats all i could do for now. Anyone have expirience with google home features?
That's not really a Home automation question. The Shield itself does not have a IR blaster they are built into the 2017 16GB remote and the new controller.
(2017-12-21, 10:49)Caramba69 Wrote: I have also bought a Shield now and for me HDR only works if I fix the resolution and colour space. Auto resolution (1080p/2160p) and colour space change doesn't work automatically with SPMC/KODI. Is there any solution or workaround?

Have you tried Kodi v18?

(2017-12-21, 14:22)rchads89 Wrote: Has anyone found a cover for the shield in the UK? The glossy top and glossy sides and front ( the stripes ) just scratch way to easy. I clean mine with a microfibre cloth and its completely out the way and even by just cleaning with the microfibre, they is fine scratches all over it.

The only sellers that carry wraps for the Shield TV, that I'm aware of, are Slickwraps & Mightyskins.

Slickwraps appears to only carry wraps for the 2015 Shield & Mightyskins seems to only carry wraps for the Pro w/2017 controller. Whether they ship to the UK I can't say.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-12-22, 04:28)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 13:53)busta.rhymes Wrote: As far as Home Automation goes:
That's not really a Home automation question. The Shield itself does not have a IR blaster they are built into the 2017 16GB remote and the new controller.
(2017-12-21, 10:49)Caramba69 Wrote: I have also bought a Shield now and for me HDR only works if I fix the resolution and colour space. Auto resolution (1080p/2160p) and colour space change doesn't work automatically with SPMC/KODI. Is there any solution or workaround?

Have you tried Kodi v18?

(2017-12-21, 14:22)rchads89 Wrote: Has anyone found a cover for the shield in the UK? The glossy top and glossy sides and front ( the stripes ) just scratch way to easy. I clean mine with a microfibre cloth and its completely out the way and even by just cleaning with the microfibre, they is fine scratches all over it.

The only sellers that carry wraps for the Shield TV, that I'm aware of, are Slickwraps & Mightyskins.

Slickwraps appears to only carry wraps for the 2015 Shield & Mightyskins seems to only carry wraps for the Pro w/2017 controller. Whether they ship to the UK I can't say. 
Does KODI 18 work better with NVIDIA SHield?
  • 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188