• 9(current)
Req BD and UHD BD Menu support
I know phoneME. Have been using it for years on my Android phone to run MIDlets. No doubt the best MIDlet JVM out there for Android. It even allows you to create shortcuts on the Desktop, which means your MIDlets is as easy to start as a native app or a web app.

It could be awesome if VLC could just refer to phoneME for getting a JVM.
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10

But I'm not entirely sure this would work. JavaME is many different things. MIDP is just one of the many profiles. BD-J is another. I don't think any version of phoneME will run Xlets.

But Blu-ray Disc Java is essential just Java 1.3 + some additional API's. That's how I have compiled all my BD-J stuff so far; using -target and -source 1.3, and it runs on all players I've tested on. So I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to just create a minimal JVM from Java 1.3 classes (which I think is perfectly legal?). The remaining API's should exists in libbluray, no?
Libbluray has support for running on phoneME

Sent from my SM-G930T
(2017-12-13, 07:21)dcsmith Wrote: Libbluray has support for running on phoneME

Well then it's definitely worth a try, isn't it? If VLC could detect phoneME and use that.

Do you think that would work on Android Smart-TV's too?
(2017-12-11, 14:28)Ace Wrote: Works for me. I can't spot a difference to the youtube videos, at least.
 Hi Ace.

So I finally had a chance to test 8-bit Memoirs with a nightly build of Kodi. Here are my observations:

BDMV/PLAYLIST/00700.mpls contains 83 tracks. When Kodi reaches the end of a track and starts playing the next one in the playlist, the BD-J Xlet freeze. About 10 seconds later Kodi crashes.
VLC has a similar issue: When next track starts playing, the screen turns black and the Xlet is gone too. Video isn't shown, but audio still plays.
This leaves libbluray as the suspect.

libbluray developers probably hasn't discovered this bug because in most cases, an mpls file only contains a single track - but it is designed to contain more.

I have described this issue on the libbluray mailing list.

Another minor Kodi specific issue:
When 8-bit Memoirs start, pressing ENTER brings up the Kodi player-controls. It should not. The BD-J Xlet should be in control here. Instead it only seems to get control once it's visible. The BD-J Xlet should have control as soon as it's running (even if just in the background).
(2017-12-12, 21:40)imimmortl Wrote: Looks like this has been asked a few times but I'm curious if this is currently working on any android platform (looking to get it working specifically for nvidia shield).  Not sure if java is able to be installed on that platform.

(2017-12-12, 21:55)mr_lou Wrote: I was just asking this very question on IRC today. The answer I got was:
Sadly we shouldn't expect any BD-J support on neither Android nor Apple TV, because there's no JVM on those platforms.

I don't see a problem there though, considering what most Java game-developers do all the time: They embed a JVM with their games. In fact, they embed multiple JVM's with their game: One for each platform it has to run on.
And the JVM needed for BD-J playback could be trimmed down a lot and not take up that much space.

Of course, doing this on Apple TV would result in Apple hunting us down because you know, Apple's devices are forbidden to run any kind of stuff expect Apple stuff. But I could definitely see it working on Android. 

I'm a new Kodi user just catching up with this topic and am interested in testing basic (only) UHD support for Android on a 2017 Nvidia Shield.  

Is it the case that this feature does work on Android using a current Kodi v18 (Leia) arm64-v8a nightly?  

I understand there is no Java menu support for Android at the moment.
(2017-12-18, 22:38)dabl Wrote:   
I'm a new Kodi user just catching up with this topic and am interested in testing basic (only) UHD support for Android on a 2017 Nvidia Shield.  

Is it the case that this feature does work on Android using a current Kodi v18 (Leia) arm64-v8a nightly?  

I understand there is no Java menu support for Android at the moment. 
I understand you're not asking about Java menus, but since that topic was discussed further on IRC after my last post here, I wanna add this:

The problem with Android (and iOS) is that they don't come with a JVM. But apparently you can just install one - at least on Android:

phoneME is a JVM which runs on Android and, according to what I was told on IRC, is even supported by libbluray. So this means that you can simply install phoneME on your Android device, and then you should have full Java menus.
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10

As for UHD playback, it is my understanding that Kodi v18 should handle this too yes. Why don't you just download a nightly build and try it out?
i've grabbed a test build for libreelec and it doesn't play folder rips for me, is this supported for 4k UHD or is it just unprotected physical disks at the moment?
I have a 4K UHD ripped to disk and it works for me, are you sure the test Version of Libreelec you have contains version 1.0.2 of libbluray?
they did say it had the latest nightly from when it was added, a new version has been passed to me, i will try it tonight when i get home
One thing I didn't mention, my rip is in iso format not folder structure, although I don't believe that should make a difference since iso is just a disk image so libbluray would still look at the folder structure inside I think.
just installed and tried again and same error message, one or more items failed to play, the build contains this version of Kodi (Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 gd65022aWink

i have tried via NFS and a USB drive plugged in, i'm struggling to get my head around libreelec at the moment, very much used to windows and being able to see everything, also the zip file that seems to contain the kodi log isn't updating very often, and it's very strange not being able to snoop into the install folder and such, and can't seem to find the default add on folder as i like to make a couple changes 

curse being able to rip 4k films now and reclaiming shelf space hehe
managed to find a log file that i'm used to, and it has this in it

CDVDInputStreamBluray::Logger - bluray.c:1384: libbluray version 1.0.1
Well that suggests you have got the old version of libbluray.
indeed Sad
Mr_lou

I should be clear about using phoneme. First the bundled libbluray in the nightly needs to be compiled with j2me support. Second I believe that android apps can't launch outside of their own directory (I'm unsure of this) so I believe that phoneme would have to come with the nightly.

As I said packaging will be a pain
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BD and UHD BD Menu support3