• 124(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
Hi all,

Are there any people who have banding problems with UHD HDR videos and FW 1.5.0 ?

Some people complain about banding.

A person gives an example with the movie UHD HDR ISO/BMDV "The Martian" with the sky of the planet Mars at the beginning of the movie (at 2mn00 on the right side and 2 mn 08 on the left side)
In my case with my settings and my equipment I do not notice banding.

Zidoo X10 FW1.5.0
Sony x930c
Onkyo 656

Resolution AUTO
Deep color AUTO
Color space AUTO
Hdmi range : limited

thanks in advance
OlivierQC
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

Pitty hdmkv gives up support here, on settings and stuff
Hello shank,

I use the following settings with my collection of movies (ISO/BDMV/MKV HD/UHD) and I have no problems :

Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

Why is your hdmi range? limited? thats not good ! You lose colorgrades....
My tv Sony is limited to 16-235, wesk05 advises me the limited.

if I use the Full range with my Sony the colors are not good, the 16-235 is the good choice for me.

does your tv support 0-255 if the answer is yes choose the Full range, otherwise choose 16-235...

(2018-01-26, 17:55)OlivierQC Wrote: My tv Sony is limited to 16-235, wesk05 advises me the limited.if I use the Full range with my Sony the colors are not good, the 16-235 is the good choice for me.

does your tv support 0-255 if the answer is yes choose the Full range, otherwise choose 16-235...
i suppose
not sure

its an lg oled 55c7v
From what I understand, most TVs use the limited color space, unless professionally calibrated to use full. Even then, from what I understand, home video content like DVD and blu-ray discs use the limited color space. I'm not sure about UHD with HDR. Somebody else can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Also, according to this thread: There's a bug that likely won't get fixed as it hasn't yet, where YCbCr set to "full" displays incorrectly. So if you're using "full", you should be using RGB, not YCbCr. YCbCr limited works correctly now - it didn't last year until the issue was brought up in that thread. You should also avoid using "Auto" for color space, since auto runs the risk of it sometimes selecting full, which has the incorrect display. So YCbCr for limited only, or RGB for either limited or full.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/...on-2.5419/
I do not know the LG oled, but here is a link that may help you

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

see you

I'd advise not trusting rtings 100%. They list my set (LG UH8500) as having a 10-bit panel, which is incorrect. It was suggested by LG that it was, but it is in fact an 8-bit panel that uses dithering to achieve the "10-bit billion colors". Even after I contacted them about it, they did not change the data on their site.
thanks for the information lionne,

(2018-01-26, 17:22)Skank Wrote: Why is your hdmi range? limited? thats not good ! You lose colorgrades....
 No, there will be no loss of color grades for BT.709 or BT.2020. It will be different when you start to see BT.2100 graded content.

(2018-01-26, 17:55)OlivierQC Wrote: My tv Sony is limited to 16-235, wesk05 advises me the limited.if I use the Full range with my Sony the colors are not good, the 16-235 is the good choice for me.

In auto mode, Zidoo firmware forces YCbCr Full range if your TV's EDID (Sony TVs, LG OLEDs etc.) reports quantization range support. This is an incorrect interpretation of CTA & HDMI standards. It doesn't look like Realtek or Zidoo is going to change it. If you have your display calibrated to full range, then it is OK to use Full range on Zidoo, but keep in mind that the source level will be in the limited range. What you see in full range will be different from what the colorist visioned during grading the material.
Wesk05, you seem to be very knowledgable of these players, and the way the player handles full incorrectly. So I'll ask here for other's benefit as well as mine, even though I also asked over in the colorspace thread on the Zidoo forum.

I just connected my new X9s and I'm in quick settings. Deep Color is off. I have color space set to YCbCr 4:2:2. Should I have it set to YCbCr 4:4:4? My TV is an LG UHD LCD set with HDR, but my A/V receiver is not 4k compliant, so right now I've got it connected to my receiver and set to 1080p@60Hz until I get a new 4k receiver. At some point soon I'll be using it to play UHD/HDR content, but for testing right now, I'll just be playing SD/HD content.

But I'm confused. Under HDMI range, it was set to auto by default. I changed it to limited (16-235) and the dark grey background got noticeably lighter. Setting it to full made it darker again, which exactly matches auto, so it seems auto is setting it to full. My TV is set to "low" under "black level". If I set black level in my TV to "high" the screen gets much lighter and washed out, for both "limited" and "full" on the X9s. My TV is always set to "low" and everything has always looked correct. So I'm not sure which shade of grey the Zidoo menu should be - limited it's lighter, and full it's darker. Is full darker because of that issue that was discussed here about the improper output when set to full?

It does the same thing if I set the player to RGB 4:4:4 though - limited is lighter and full is darker.

So which combination is right for SD/HD viewing, and would that change when I start using it for 4k/HDR stuff?
(2018-01-27, 00:14)lionne Wrote: I have color space set to YCbCr 4:2:2. Should I have it set to YCbCr 4:4:4?

But I'm confused. Under HDMI range, it was set to auto by default. I changed it to limited (16-235) and the dark grey background got noticeably lighter. Setting it to full made it darker again, which exactly matches auto, so it seems auto is setting it to full. My TV is set to "low" under "black level". If I set black level in my TV to "high" the screen gets much lighter and washed out, for both "limited" and "full" on the X9s. My TV is always set to "low" and everything has always looked correct. So I'm not sure which shade of grey the Zidoo menu should be - limited it's lighter, and full it's darker. Is full darker because of that issue that was discussed here about the improper output when set to full?

It does the same thing if I set the player to RGB 4:4:4 though - limited is lighter and full is darker.

So which combination is right for SD/HD viewing, and would that change when I start using it for 4k/HDR stuff?
YCbCr 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 shouldn't make any difference. I know there are folks reporting banding with 4:2:2. There is nothing wrong with Zidoo's output per se. The banding has to do with how the display is processing the 4:2:2 signal. It could be that the display processor is treating the input signal as 8-bit instead of 12-bit.

HDMI range of the source and TV should match. If you use limited on Zidoo, your TV should be on low. If you use full on Zidoo, your TV should be on high. Again, if the TV is calibrated separately for limited and full range, you are unlikely to see a difference between the two. If your TV was calibrated to a limited range signal, then full will appear to be darker. It all depends on how you have calibrated your TV.

You wouldn't need to change the range setting for 4K/HDR content.
(2018-01-27, 01:10)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-01-27, 00:14)lionne Wrote: I have color space set to YCbCr 4:2:2. Should I have it set to YCbCr 4:4:4?

YCbCr 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 shouldn't make any difference. I know there are folks reporting banding with 4:2:2. There is nothing wrong with Zidoo's output per se. The banding has to do with how the display is processing the 4:2:2 signal. It could be that the display processor is treating the input signal as 8-bit instead of 12-bit.

HDMI range of the source and TV should match. If you use limited on Zidoo, your TV should be on low. If you use full on Zidoo, your TV should be on high. Again, if the TV is calibrated separately for limited and full range, you are unlikely to see a difference between the two. If your TV was calibrated to a limited range signal, then full will appear to be darker. It all depends on how you have calibrated your TV.

You wouldn't need to change the range setting for 4K/HDR content.     
 Thanks for the reply.

Well I did a basic TV set-up using the AVS test patterns but I haven't done a professional calibration. The TV has always been set to low, and when using the test patterns on my old Mede8er player, the patterns looked fine once adjusted. So I'm guessing the TV is "calibrated" for limited.

You mentioned, "If your TV was calibrated to a limited range signal, then full will appear to be darker.", and that's just what I noticed. So it sounds like YCbCr 4:2:2 / limited is right for me.

For some reason I thought when playing UHD/HDR content, I would need YCbCr or full, but that isn't the case then?

When viewing images/playing games/surfing on the Zidoo, would I also leave it on limited, or would full/4:4:4 be better for that purpose? I ask because when I game on my PC, my TV has a PC mode which sets the panel to 4:4:4 chroma. So when I game on my TV with my PC I set the TV to PC mode. Is it better to just always leave the Zidoo on limited for everything?
Hi all,

@wesk05,

if I understand your answer, my choice is good when I select limited instead of auto in the option HDMI range ?

thanks in advance

for information :
my receiver indicates 8bit when I use 4.2.2 with the zidoo or Egreat,

the best result (for me) are with ycbcr 4.4.4 with deep color AUTO and since the Fw 1.4.12 the signal is in 12Bit.

a few people complain about banding, but I do not see it on my screen and I know what it's look like, I saw a lot with the Egreat.

see you

• 124(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8