• 370(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-03-04, 17:36)mclingo Wrote: Hi, just did a bit of research on your amp, its not a fully HDMI 2.0 spec amp, it was firmware updated to passthrough but it doesnt support HDR. Plug you PC direct into the TV and if you have a second HDMI output plug that into the reciever for sound, that way you'll be able to get HD sound, if use ARC you'll lose DTS-HD, DTSX, ATOS etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn2n0he0fvnmkx...0.png?dl=0

post 617
That's what I have done
so how come windows HDR is switching on (if set to off) at start of playback with HDR content if i configure madvr to 'passthrough HDR content to display' and 'send HDR metadata to the display'.

your right, i dont fully understand all the technical aspects of HDR. but i think i'm right in that it should not be engaged all the time and it should only be engaged when content has the required 'metadata' in the signal to turn it on, take some netflix content for an example, if it had HDR in the titel then it switches the HDR 'picture mode' on the tv like it should and at the end or if i stop playback then it switches the HDR off.

the HDR 'metadata handshaking' is working fine via netflix and by all accounts 'hardware' such as 4k bluray players etc.etc but not in windows with the required GPU installed.

your also right about people at microsoft and nvidia being a loooot smarter than i am (BSc networking) but i cant help feeling that they have not quite ironed out the bugs.

ooohhh i dont have an xbox i was just stating that from all accounts the HDR is working with games properly now and that maybe the working 'code' could be transferred from the xbox to windows.

think i might just start afresh and go through https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
(2018-03-04, 23:34)Bibio Wrote: so how come windows HDR is switching on (if set to off) at start of playback with HDR content if i configure madvr to 'passthrough HDR content to display' and 'send HDR metadata to the display'.  I don't know?  Something is not correct in your setup or with what you're using I'd imagine.

your right, i dont fully understand all the technical aspects of HDR. but i think i'm right in that it should not be engaged all the time and it should only be engaged when content has the required 'metadata' in the signal to turn it on, take some netflix content for an example, if it had HDR in the titel then it switches the HDR 'picture mode' on the tv like it should and at the end or if i stop playback then it switches the HDR off.  Of course HDR should only engage on a capable display when playing HDR content and off when not whether it's a stream from Netflix or a title from a PC.  You are receiving your stream correctly and your TV is obliging but your not feeding your TV from your PC correctly or you wouldn't be having mixed results.

the HDR 'metadata handshaking' is working fine via netflix and by all accounts 'hardware' such as 4k bluray players etc.etc but not in windows with the required GPU installed.  Again, something you are doing is incorrect when attempting from a PC.  All you have verified by confirming Netflix is that your TV and Netflix stream is functioning.  Now you just need to figure out where or what went wrong from the PC.  I am just confirming PC's work perfectly.  Better than Netflix aamof once you are setup correctly.  For those that are struggling, MS and/or NVidia are not to blame and used as a scapegoat nor are they clueless especially to those of us with working setups.

your also right about people at microsoft and nvidia being a loooot smarter than i am (BSc networking) but i cant help feeling that they have not quite ironed out the bugs.

ooohhh i dont have an xbox i was just stating that from all accounts the HDR is working with games properly now and that maybe the working 'code' could be transferred from the xbox to windows.

think i might just start afresh and go through https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

In other words, you are not the first to struggle to get a perfectly working or even partially working setup and you won't be the last.  It's easy to never be able to make your ends meet and find fault elsewhere.  I'm simply confirming that working setups do exist so you don't give up by passing it off as impossible until someone else fixes this, that, or the other thing when in fact..... nothing needs fixing.  Consider your hardware, software, and implementations imo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
well well miracles do happen.. lol

done full wipe and install of new creators 10. installed latest nvidia drivers. mpc-be + madvr. only thing i changed was depth bit and hdr settings. once things were set and tested in mpc-be+madvr i then installed kodi + playerfactory.xml to get mpc-be+madvr launching from within kodi.

tada.. working perfectly connected direct to tv.

play hdr content and hdr switches on. stop playback and hdr turns off, just like it should. non hdr content does not turn hdr on.

playback is judder free and smooth as silk, colour is amazing (had to tweak the hdr a bit). playback is also very fast at handshaking.

guardians 2 does have hdr embedded :-)

i now need a new amp with hdcp 2.2.. lol

i suppose i could use one of the other hdmi ports on the 1050ti for audio only to amp. i'll try that later.

btw with amp connected to hdmi arc port on tv and htpc connected to another hdmi port on tv i'm getting DD sound through the amp, not full hd though.

now i wonder if kodi+dsplayer+madvr will work just the same as i really like how everything is integrated into kodi. thinks me is going to test it out.

btw i'm using mpc-be 'portable' with madvr inside the 'system/player' folder of kodi.
pretty sure the amp wont passthrough HDR metadata, although its hard to know what their halfway firmware actually does support, might be worth contacting Yamaha before you swap he amp.
(2018-03-05, 14:06)mclingo Wrote: pretty sure the amp wont passthrough HDR metadata, although its hard to know what their halfway firmware actually does support, might be worth contacting Yamaha before you swap he amp.
the amp does not like being connected to the tv and the 1050ti card at the same time.

my 1050ti has 3 HDMI outputs.

if i connect only 1 of the hdmi ports from the 1050 to just the tv then things are fine with kodi+mpc-be+madvr. tv uses arc for sound back to card but only plays DD.

if i connect another hdmi port from the 1050 to the amp for audio only it wont play audio via amp (yes i configured it to use the correct HDMI for sound) or arc from tv.

if i connect only one of the hdmi ports from the 1050 to the amp it wont pass HDR.
--------------------

doing the exact same tests as above but with kodi-dsplayer x86+madvr i get the same results as one would expect.

but trying to play hdr content occasionally results in the player not coming forward of the kodi interface. i have tried exclusive mode and same results.
------------------

i cant turn arc off on the tv as its needed to play netflix as using netflix app on windows is not as good. if i could get the netflix app that is used in the tv webos on windows i would be happy.

i definitely need a new amp that has hdcp 2.2

without the new amp i cant move forward.
yeah, sounds like you are right. I wouldnt mind a 9.2 HEOS amp so I could have 4 ceiling speakers and have full control via ALEXA, too much coin though, My current DENON AVR X2300 is pretty good for the £250 I paid for it factory reconditioned.
(2018-03-05, 16:42)mclingo Wrote: yeah, sounds like you are right. I wouldnt mind a 9.2 HEOS amp so I could have 4 ceiling speakers and have full control via ALEXA, too much coin though, My current DENON AVR X2300 is pretty good for the £250 I paid for it factory reconditioned.
 i'm actually looking at the AVRX-2400 as my next amp. TBT i'm a bit of a Yamaha fan boy but looking at the specs and features of the Denon i'm getting swayed it that direction.

there is only one thing thats confusing me about the Denon, there are 2 hdmi outs. one is marked ARC and the other is HDCP 2.2. does the HDCP 2.2 support ARC as well?

i'm trying to make things as easy for my wife who had a brain haemorrhage. at the moment she has got used to the new tv netflix app and i've set it up with ARC so when she presses the netflix button on the remote it auto switches sound for the tv output. the big problem is that i have used 'link' so the tv and amp both turn on and off at the same time but when pressing the power button on the tv remote the amp does not receive a signal from hdmi, well it does for a brief moment then switches to 'assigned input' instead of the cable box input e.g. hdmi 2.

when using the htpc she knows just to press the hdmi input to play stuff from there.

the wife cant use a touch screen device as a remote, tried that been there...lol
mine has both, if you enable HDMI CEC on both the TV and Denon you should be fine for automatic audio switching apart from your HTPC. If you get the latest denon with HEOS you buy an Alexa for her and setup up some macros and stuff, I currently use Alexa to control my backlight, main lighting and a few commends on my denon using anymote and IFTTT.
cool.

not to fused about using voice commands and HEOS etc.etc.

been reading a bit more about the denon and it sounds just perfect. my currant yamaha always sounded a bit lifeless with my infinity oreus speakers (i have 10 of them, 2x 5.1 but subs are now fubar) + BK P12-300-DF.

think i'll phone richer sounds tomorrow and ask if the do trade ins as i have an OPPO BDP-93 i dont use any more as well as the yamaha amp.

anyway enough of sidetracking this thread and i'll update when i get my new amp.

thanks for all the help so far people :-)
Hey Guys, 

Really sorry if this has been asked and answered before... In my HTPC I have an intel i3 with 4GB rams and I am in need of a new GPU for 4K HDR movies with a new JVC 4K projector I am about to pull the trigger on. I use Kodi DS Player with MadVR and I would like to know which is a reccomended GPU for HTPC use for 100% movies only.. Not into gaming on PC and will only be used for HTPC.. I want to be able to use great settings on MadVR but doesn't have to be the top top settings (however being able to do this would also be nice) .. Can you guys please reccomend me a card.. 

Is NVIDIA the way to go or AMD? I heard NVIDIA 1050TI is a very good card for 4K HDR but I may be wrong... Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you Smile
Now is the worst time to buy a GFX card.

Everyone is going to tell you different things regarding which cards are best. However, AMD cards currently offer the most stable platform with the least fuss, they are pretty much install and go at the moment and everything works as it should where there are issues with 3D playback on AMD card and some issues with custom resolutions and drop frames. AMD card fully support 23,976 so they've always been the best card for me.

If most of your collection is 1080p / 4k you wont need a beefy card either, if you have a lot of old DVD or 720p stuff you may need a beefy card to upscale to 4k in MADVR if you want to add some extra processing.

I am currently using an RX550, it plays everything fine but I cant push some of the high end algorithums in MADVR, as most of my collection is 1080p/4k I dont need to anyway.

However I am planning on getting a better card when prices calm down as I like a really sharp image and I want to use NGU sharp on high. For me the RX550 is the best budget card at the moment if you are looking for zero fuss, I would recommend the 1050 (I have one as well) but I just couldnt get it stable enough with everything and you have to faff with custom resolutions as it doesnt do 23,976 natively.

Whats you budget, do you need 3D playback?
(2018-03-07, 13:11)mclingo Wrote: Now is the worst time to buy a GFX card.

Everyone is going to tell you different things regarding which cards are best. However, AMD cards currently offer the most stable platform with the least fuss, they are pretty much install and go at the moment and everything works as it should where there are issues with 3D playback on AMD card and some issues with custom resolutions and drop frames. AMD card fully support 23,976 so they've always been the best card for me.

If most of your collection is 1080p / 4k you wont need a beefy card either, if you have a lot of old DVD or 720p stuff you may need a beefy card to upscale to 4k in MADVR if you want to add some extra processing.

I am currently using an RX550, it plays everything fine but I cant push some of the high end algorithums in MADVR, as most of my collection is 1080p/4k I dont need to anyway.

However I am planning on getting a better card when prices calm down as I like a really sharp image and I want to use NGU sharp on high. For me the RX550 is the best budget card at the moment if you are looking for zero fuss, I would recommend the 1050 (I have one as well) but I just couldnt get it stable enough with everything and you have to faff with custom resolutions as it doesnt do 23,976 natively.

Whats you budget, do you need 3D playback?
Thank you so much for your reply.. I only want it for Bluray Remux and 4K HDR movies.. No 720p no DVD nothing like that and not interested in those either.. I only need it for the UHD 4K HDR and BLURAY REMUX files. I currently have a Sapphire 6450 and as cheap as it is it performs flawless so I know what you mean about AMD .. I love them and have never owned a NVIDIA before, however everyone bangs on about NVIDIA being the best for movies etc etc... As long as it can deliver seemless 4K and HDR also HEVC codec that's all I am interested in. Also I love a pin sharp image to and would like to use the top settings in MadVR.. Which AMD card would you suggest for this in that case or which is the one your looking to upgrade too.. Many thanks....
Anyone having issues with kodi not properly reseting to 2160 @ 60Hz after playing back 3D/1080p/4K content, sometime it works but is hardly consistent. I feel this is the last major issue for me finally switching to KODI for my media.
i'm not the best qualified but from what i have been finding out doing my own.

reading the how to on madvr i noticed that Nvidia are the only cards to do auto switching of HDR.

if your just playing 4k then everything is fine, however if you want to add HDR you need every component in the chain to be able to send the HDR along the chain.

if your components are not 'HDR ready' and they dont have HDCP 2.2 then you wont get the HDR signal to switch the HDR on and off.

if you read the how to about madvr's HDR there are ways around it by using 'convert HDR...'

my nvidia 1050ti connected direct to the tv and madvr set to 'passthrough' for HDR the HDR on my tv switches on and off watching HDR content as both are HDR and HDCP 2.2 compliant. however if i put my AV amp in the chain then i dont get HDR to the tv as the amp is not HDR or HDCP 2.2 compliant.

i have tried to no avail as a workaround to get the video going to the tv via hdmi and the audio going to the amp via hdmi from the 1050ti. i have tried kodi, mpc-be, mpc-be+madvr, kodi-dsplayer+madvr, kodi+mpc-bc+madvr but still no audio. i have not tried with lav filters yet.

regarding your processor and memory, its fine as the 1050ti is doing the bulk of video and codec processing. make sure that the PCIe slot on your motherboard can support the 1050ti bus speed.

so the upshot is. you need every bit of hardware in the chain to be HDR and HDCP 2.2 compliant, this would include things like a projector, monitor, amp, GPU, tv, cables. if one of the items in not compliant then its going to break the chain. the confusing part is the term 4k, yes it might say 4k capable but if it dont say HDR and HDCP 2.2 then no HDR. my av amp is 4k capable but not hdr/hdcp2.2.

hope this helps.
  • 370(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47