Win Please help a newbie
I have a desktop PC where all my media is located, and a laptop PC. Both run latest versions of Windows 10 Home, 64bit.  I installed the current Kodi app from Microsoft store on both machines.
The desktop PC is OK - I could add all my picture folders successfully.  I haven't try movies and music, but don't expect any problems. Picture sharing is my priority
Now I have problems adding the remote media sources to the Kodi library on the laptop. 

There seem to be several options -

1.  Enabling  UPnP/DLNA  sharing the libraries between the two Kodi devices.  I set the desktop Kodi appropriatelly, but the laptop Kodi does not list the remte Pictures library. It only lists Video and Music libraries.
I need to share pictures. So it looks like this option is out.
2.  I could use one of the Plex, Serviio, or the Windows 10 Library  DLNA servers.  (I have been testing Plex and Serviio, but do not like the UI of their browser/player). 
If I go the way of a DLNA server, which would you recommend for fastest and best quality results? All my movies are MKV, most in 1920x1080, bitrates 8000kps and up, all with subtitles, mostly srt. Pictures are jpegs hi res.
3.  What else can I do?  I tried to enter the address of the share folder, but this does not seem to work. There are heaps of protocols, which one is best for Windows 10 ?
Are any other better options?
thanks in advance
A read of the quick start guide (wiki) might help here, especially the parts on HOW-TO:Create Video Library (wiki) and adding video sources (wiki).

I've also removed the two other duplicates of your thread that you posted, I presume by accident.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
yes, the other two post got there by accident - the edit feature does not seem to work without creating another post.  I could not find a Delete button either.

I have read far more than what you recommend. Nothing really explains it properly and applicable to sharing between two PC's running Windows 10.  Every publication warns people that Kodi is difficult. Nothing is difficult if explained. 
All I need to know which method should work on Windows 10, and which is best for quality.
Thanks for nothing
Share the folders on the desktop that contain your media then add them as smb sources on the laptop.
I am pretty sure that I tried that, but now that I know this method should work, I will keep trying. Thanks.

(The Kodi Wiki is generally good, but in this instance it lists many protocols without explaining which one to use for Windows 10.)
As the previous members have stated, create a Share. Don't use HomeGroup or uPNP to share.

Some examples here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2739238
and.. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2736119
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-07-09, 02:50)Karellen Wrote: As the previous members have stated, create a Share. Don't use HomeGroup or uPNP to share.

Some examples here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2739238
and.. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2736119
I have proper "shares" on the desktop PC.  I can access them from the Windows File Explorer on the laptop without any problem. It is just that Kodi v 17.6 installed on the laptop can't see them.  It only sees and shows the laptop itself.
Even entering the desktop computer name does not help.
The only way it will work is to enter the PC  IP address - \\192.168.x.x. \folder name.   But since the network has dynamic IP allocation, it may stop working one day and will have to be reconfigured. 
It is a bug which I found was reported extensively in the Android forum last year, and it seems nobody cares to fix it.
It's a pity - it may drive some would-be users away.
And BTW, the latest incarnations of Windows 10 do not have Home Groups anymore.
(2018-07-09, 11:55)aussie43 Wrote: It is a bug which I found was reported extensively in the Android forum last year, and it seems nobody cares to fix it.
Its not a bug, it is a change implemented by Microsoft. SMB v1 was disabled and only SMB v2 or 3 are now in use. There is no problem to fix, you just need to adjust how you add Shares now.

As for your Dynamic IP issue, login to your Router/Modem and assign Static IP's for your computers on your network. Almost every item on my Network has been assigned a Static IP and I have no issues.

If it drives users away... then that is their decision. We don't know who gets driven away, and we don't worry about it.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Make sure to use the "Add network location" option as only SMB v1 allowed browsing of SMB network shares, then add desktop name to where Server name is, then you should be able to Browse to the folder or alternatively enter the folder on Shared folder line. Should look something like

This how I always do it.

But as Karellen has pointed out, it's a good idea to configure DHCP in your router to assign fixed IP address to anything that is permanently connected to network.
(2018-07-09, 12:02)Karellen Wrote: Its not a bug, it is a change implemented by Microsoft. SMB v1 was disabled and only SMB v2 or 3 are now in use. There is no problem to fix, you just need to adjust how you add Shares now.
As for your Dynamic IP issue, login to your Router/Modem and assign Static IP's for your computers on your network. Almost every item on my Network has been assigned a Static IP and I have no issues.

If it drives users away... then that is their decision. We don't know who gets driven away, and we don't worry about it. 

You have Kodi for Windows in the Microsoft store, but it does not work properly with the latest version of Windows. If that is not a bug, I don't know what a bug is. So far I have only come across with apps that may not work with old versions of operating systems, but never one that does not work with the latest.

All my PC's have SMB1 enabled, and the "Browse for new share - Windows network (SMB) " does not work. It does not show anything on the network. The "uPnP devices" option shows other Kodi installations on the network, and also other DLNA servers.
So there must be something else involved, not only the SMB1 issue.  Maybe it is a problem with Windows 10, but at least warn people about it, and amend the Wiki with instructions how to make it work.  The Wiki is still telling people with Windows 10 to set up a HomeGroup. That concept has been abandoned in the latest Windows 10 versions. 
I spent a couple of days searching the internet and doing all sorts of things to my laptops only to find out in the Android section of this forum that it will not work unless you go for "Add network location",  and unless you enter the server address (1192.168.x.x) ,  not the name, as the box asks for. 
I appreciate that Kodi is a volunteer project and it is free.  But more attention to documentation and/or "Readme-first" can only do good to the Kodi brand.
(2018-07-09, 12:40)jjd-uk Wrote: Make sure to use the "Add network location" option as only SMB v1 allowed browsing of SMB network shares, then add desktop name to where Server name is, then you should be able to Browse to the folder or alternatively enter the folder on Shared folder line. Should look something like

This how I always do it.

But as Karellen has pointed out, it's a good idea to configure DHCP in your router to assign fixed IP address to anything that is permanently connected to network.
In my case - as I explained to Karellen - the server name did not work. Only the numerical address \\192.168.x.x  .  I have Kodi 17.6 10  Dec 2017, and the latest 1803 (April 2018) version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

And something I forgot to point out - even with the address and the share name, Kodi does not find anything first. I had to enter the new location anyway, and later to come back to it, and only then it will discover the server and the share.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help a newbie0