• 101(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
One more question.  What resolution should I use 1080p or 3840x2160P?  Whatever I set, that is what shows up on my TV display.  I am running LibreELEC on my Mecool M8S Pro L (Amlogic S912), and it does change the Hz, but not the resolution.  I am playing a BlueRay rip, so it is only 1080p.  By using 3840x2160P, for the 1080P video, will it make a difference in the picture quality on my 4k TV.  My eyes, really can't tell any difference.
Wrxtasy, was asking for a test of the Mecool KM8 Google Certified Android box, to verify that it is indeed Google Certified.   Using the Google Play app on this device, in my library, I had the movie "Elf".  When I played, it, my Yamaha AVR showed ** DD+ ** and the video quality ** looked ** to be at least 720 or 1080p, but not way to verify.

Now it is up to the experts to determine if this simple test shows that this device is indeed Google Certified.  

Also, I did a search for FREE Google Play movies, and several showed up.  I was able to stream them from my computer to the KM8, quickly and easily.  My LG smart phone is not very smart, because it does NOT have a native Google casting function (at least that I can find), so I can't test that function.
Disregard my other post about the KM8 being Google certified..  I just played that Google Play movie "Elf" on a different box without and HDCP and it also played in HD with DD+.  So, my test meant nothing............  

P.S.  Why can't I edit my post??  It won't let me edit..........strange.
(2018-08-19, 02:11)clarkss12 Wrote: Disregard my other post about the KM8 being Google certified..  I just played that Google Play movie "Elf" on a different box without and HDCP and it also played in HD with DD+.  So, my test meant nothing............  
Google Cast (Chromecast) will work only with Google approved devices. With that said, I don't see Videostrong/Mecool/KM8 listed in Google's device list.
(2018-08-19, 02:27)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 02:11)clarkss12 Wrote: Disregard my other post about the KM8 being Google certified..  I just played that Google Play movie "Elf" on a different box without and HDCP and it also played in HD with DD+.  So, my test meant nothing............  
Google Cast (Chromecast) will work only with Google approved devices. With that said, I don't see Videostrong/Mecool/KM8 listed in Google's device list.  
 But it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.  I can cast from my computer to my KM8 or Xiaomi Mibox.  

This is what it looks like on my computer playing a Google Play movie.  Does that mean anytin

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6838h7u568cp2...t.jpg?dl=0
(2018-08-19, 03:10)clarkss12 Wrote: But it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.  I can cast from my computer to my KM8 or Xiaomi Mibox.  
This is what it looks like on my computer playing a Google Play movie.  Does that mean anytin
Can you do this with your other Android TV boxes? At this time, this would be one way to assume that this box has some sort of Google approval. Couple of years ago, a Chinese company did crack the algorithm for Chromecast key generation and they did sell an app for sometime. Google quickly shut them down. Only time will tell whether this is something like that or not.

I would be very surprised if this box actually gets Netflix 4K. I have previously mentioned some concerns about trademark/branding guideline compliance and because of those, I can't see this box being sold through retail channels in the USA.
Your post from Freaktab...

Quote:I tested my KM8 box by playing the free "The Polar Bears", but no indication of what resolution it is playing. It just started playing with NO message about "HD purchases will play in SD on this device".

If there are NO messages warning about Purchased or Rented HD content streaming in SD (when you press the Rent Button on anything). Then I'm 99.9% certain the KM8 is Google Certified. This is in addition to actually having working Chromecasting of DRM protected content. You will see the same behavior on the Goggle Certified Shield and Mi Box, i.e. NO warning messages.

That Google Movies SD warning message appears on every uncertified Android device running a community built Android TV ROM I've seen, even if those devices have the proper DRM and HDCP.

(2018-08-19, 03:53)wrxtasy Wrote: Your post from Freaktab...
Quote:I tested my KM8 box by playing the free "The Polar Bears", but no indication of what resolution it is playing. It just started playing with NO message about "HD purchases will play in SD on this device".

If there are NO messages warning about Purchased or Rented HD content streaming in SD only then I'm 99.9% certain the KM8 is Google Certified. This is in addition to actually having working Chromecasting of DRM protected content. You will see the same behavior on the Goggle Certified Shield and Mi Box.

That Google Movies SD warning message appears on every uncertified Android device running a community built Android TV ROM I've seen. 
Wrxtasy, the only problem with that test, was that it did the same thing on one of my older boxes that does not support any type of HDCP.   So, that told me that, that test was invalid.  However, by **casting** from the Google Play running on my computer, in my mind DOES PROVE that this device IS Google Certified.  See the picture I posted to my dropbox.
(2018-08-19, 03:49)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 03:10)clarkss12 Wrote: But it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.  I can cast from my computer to my KM8 or Xiaomi Mibox.  
Can you do this with your other Android TV boxes? At this time, this would be one way to assume that this box has some sort of Google approval. Couple of years ago, a Chinese company did crack the algorithm for Chromecast key generation and they did sell an app for sometime. Google quickly shut them down. Only time will tell whether this is something like that or not.

I would be very surprised if this box actually gets Netflix 4K. I have previously mentioned some concerns about trademark/branding guideline compliance and because of those, I can't see this box being sold through retail channels in the USA.  
 Here is what my YouTube **cast** screen shows.... notice that little "circle" by the KM8 and Mibox3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tg5svzt0iubec...2.jpg?dl=0
I have more boxes running, but most of them are running Linux, or LibreELEC or CoreELEC, so they don't show up under the YouTube casting.
(2018-08-19, 03:49)wesk05 Wrote:

Whether or not, this box actually gets Netflix approval for 4k or even HD, it has all the ingredients, I will be surprised if they don't.  It supports Widevine Level 1 with HDCP 2.2, AND, I do believe that it is Google Certified.  If it is indeed Google Certified, I **think**  VideoStrong/Mecool will be bringing 4k Netflix to the table.  It is my understanding that VS is a provider of IPTV boxes (if that is what they are called, I just call them cable boxes) for some European/Asian markets.
(2018-08-19, 03:49)wesk05 Wrote: Couple of years ago, a Chinese company did crack the algorithm for Chromecast key generation and they did sell an app for sometime. Google quickly shut them down. Only time will tell whether this is something like that or not.
Yes it is entirely possible, whomever is doing the Firmware for the KM8 has found a way of copying GoogleCasting Keys, cloning whatever those Keys Check for and masquerading as an already Google Certified device. That seems to happen in China regularly.

I doubt we will see this KM8 device sold thru legit retail channels if that is the case.

(2018-08-19, 04:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 03:49)wesk05 Wrote: Couple of years ago, a Chinese company did crack the algorithm for Chromecast key generation and they did sell an app for sometime. Google quickly shut them down. Only time will tell whether this is something like that or not.
Yes it is entirely possible, whomever is doing the Firmware for the KM8 has found a way of copying GoogleCasting Keys, cloning whatever those Keys Check for and masquerading as an already Google Certified device. That seems to happen in China regularly.

I doubt we will see this KM8 device sold thru legit retail channels if that is the case.

What is a legit retail Channel?
In the USA that would be Brick N Mortar stores like - Walmart, Bestbuy and others.
I doubt such devices would even get thru Customs to such stores if Google knew about them and they were not legit, but advertising as such.

(2018-08-19, 06:09)wrxtasy Wrote: In the USA that would be Brick N Mortar stores like - Walmart, Bestbuy and others.
I doubt such devices would even get thru Customs to such stores if Google knew about them.

Ok,. So you don't think that it is possible that this device is an official Google Certified device?

I have no clue!!
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6