• 23(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
Hello!  Years since I've posted I think Smile

Bought this to play with after my Android KIII box (LE flashed to internal) died.

Using LE 8.2.4.1 or CE 8.90.5 on a SD Card in the SD Card slot works on first boot only, then fails on reboot.

Using same SD Card in a USB Card Reader in USB Slot works fine.

Have tried on 2 different SD Cards (Samsung 128GB & Sandisk 16GB) with same result.

Is this a problem with my card slot or something I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

edit: it was a fake/faulty sd cards, all working okay now on another card. See you in 2021! Wink
@wrxtasy 

I have an issue with 8.2.4.1 where Kodi freezes when it attempts to play any file that has external srt subtitles over smb. I saw other people were having the same issue in the LibreELEC forum, but I can't figure out how to post there. The same file and subtitles work perfectly over nfs. I tried changing the smb levels in settings, but it made no difference. It also freezes on downloading an external subtitle. It downloads and correctly renames it, then when it opens it, it freezes.

Here's the log:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/dyZfj7YdBG/
(2018-07-24, 17:31)crazygambit Wrote: @wrxtasy 

I have an issue with 8.2.4.1 where Kodi freezes when it attempts to play any file that has external srt subtitles over smb. I saw other people were having the same issue in the LibreELEC forum, but I can't figure out how to post there. The same file and subtitles work perfectly over nfs. I tried changing the smb levels in settings, but it made no difference. It also freezes on downloading an external subtitle. It downloads and correctly renames it, then when it opens it, it freezes.

Here's the log:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/dyZfj7YdBG/
I have the same issue. Thanks for the tip to try NFS.
I hope this issue can be fixed in a next release.
Interestingly I had a play with the FW007 Android TV ROM on the U9 yesterday and Amazon have definitely relaxed the device restrictions the Android TV Prime Video App runs on.
Either that or it has better App compatibility for use on their AMLogic S905Z Gen3 2018 Fire TV 4K.

Anyway it works, streaming in 1080p (using HEVC) with 5.1 DD+ audio - I believe this one was extracted from a NVIDIA Shield (click)

(2018-08-19, 07:24)wrxtasy Wrote: Interestingly I had a play with the FW007 Android TV ROM on the U9 yesterday and Amazon have definitely relaxed the device restrictions the Android TV Prime Video App runs on.
Either that or it has better App compatibility for use on their AMLogic S905Z Gen3 2018 Fire TV 4K.

Anyway it works, streaming in 1080p (using HEVC) with 5.1 DD+ audio - I believe this one was extracted from a NVIDIA Shield (click)
 HI brother

I con't open " www.minixforum.com/forums", It's show "404 not found", Do you have get this problem?
I contacted their support by email yesterday to ask about an Android 8 Oreo firmware update and got this back

Their forums are still down so maybe they are back up around the same time?
download links 
https://www.facebook.com/minixtech/posts...7817113043
Installed 7.1 no problems Smile
Automatic updates FW008
Hello everyone,
I was thinking of buying this minix u9 to pair with an LG Oled TV but I would like to understand what I can do with the android part and what I can do with the LibreElec part.
If I understand correctly with the LibreElec part I can see my ultrahd movie collection converted into MKV 4K HDR without problems, right?
While with the Android part can I do all that is feasible with Android TV or is it a custom system?
It is possible to have a link to a step by step guide on the installation and configuration of LibreElec ... the easiest possible thanks.

Thanks again for the help.
Hello all,

I have
LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit
installed.

Since there is a new version:
LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.tar
Can I use the update folder to update or is a new install recommended?
(2017-03-24, 12:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Easy answer for you - if all you need is Kodi - then LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is one of the best Kodi releases going around. It will handle a lot more content seamlessly compared to Android Kodi. There is now an Army of AMLogic S905(x) devices that can run LibreELEC Kodi.

Personally I would not even mess with Android if its only Kodi you want. The NEO U9 - does not have a Stable version of LibreELEC Kodi available for it.

The S905 MINIX NEO U1 does. You just flash LibreELEC Kodi to a Samsung EVO or Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10 micro SDHC, plug that in. Hold down the power button on the U1 box itself, count to 5 and it boots straight into Kodi. Pop the SD card out and reboot and you are running Android.

I recommend a Wireless Keyboard remote. Smile 
 I was considering picking up a U9 though after reading through this thread I'm having some doubts. I have relatively simple needs in that I have my DVD collection on an external usb hard drive connected to my current box.  The media is 720/1080 in MP4 and the tv series are .ISO   Will I have a problem using the Minix U9 as an android player for this ?   Would I be better off running Libreelec ?  And should I get the U1 instead of the U9?

Also you mention 'Hold down the power button ... and it boots straight into Kodi'.  Does this have to be done each time you boot into Kodi ? 

Thanks...
(2018-09-23, 12:05)solidsatras Wrote: Since there is a new version:
LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.tar
Can I use the update folder to update or is a new install recommended?
Just use the normal LE .tar update method:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how_to/update_libreelec

(2018-09-24, 00:59)Pi 4 Wrote:  I was considering picking up a U9 though after reading through this thread I'm having some doubts. I have relatively simple needs in that I have my DVD collection on an external usb hard drive connected to my current box.  The media is 720/1080 in MP4 and the tv series are .ISO   Will I have a problem using the Minix U9 as an android player for this ?   Would I be better off running Libreelec ?  And should I get the U1 instead of the U9?

Also you mention 'Hold down the power button ... and it boots straight into Kodi'.  Does this have to be done each time you boot into Kodi ? 

Thanks...
Your needs are not that demanding. Any AML S9xx box would do the job, but Kodi will run better and be more reliable when using LibreELEC.

On the U1/U9's device power button only has to be held in for the very first Bootup and initialisation of LE Kodi. After that you can simply press the power button on the box / remote as normal for device power up and auto bootup of LE Kodi. It's all pretty easy to do, even flip flopping between Android and LE Kodi.

The U1 is still quality hardware if you do not need HDR support. It's A2 lite wireless remote is a beauty, and my favourite out of all of them for LE Kodi usage.
The U1 is running an older Android OS vs the U9, but will have support past LibreELEC Kodi v18 Leia, where as LE Kodi support will cease on the U9 past Kodi Leia due to no compatible Linux GPU drivers available due to changes within the future Linux Kodi v19 M.

Soo, im a bit confused. My Minix U9 is connected to my samsung 7005 which supports HDR10, and on FW08 stock, playing demo clips with hdr10 i can clearly see the hdr colours in kodi as well as HDR10 flagging on the tv side.. But most of the HDR downloads from torrent sites is grey and washed out. 
Tried Solo yesterday in HDR mode and it looks crap.. Almost like a black and grey movie.. TV is still saying HDR10 is on, yupp!!
Will this get better in Android 7.x version ?
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6