• 1(current)
Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings
This thread is discussing upgrade issues from v17.x to v18 for the Store Version of Kodi for Windows 10. No other platforms or versions are affected.

*** Edit ***
The UWP version of Kodi v18 for PC's has been replaced with the Bridged Version of Kodi v18.

Allowing the Update for this new version should fix the problems detailed in this post or, if you find that everything is working again, then you have already received the update.

Thank you for your patience.

The Problem
The Windows Store has updated your version of Kodi from v17.x to the recently released v18. You now have a fresh install instead of having your previous settings and data available.

The Reason
  1. The v17.x Store Version of Kodi is not a true UWP package. It is a bridging app, that allows standard software to be included in the Windows Store.
  2. The v18 Store Version of Kodi is a true UWP package. Be aware the UWP has some Microsoft imposed restrictions and will differ slightly to the normal .exe installer
  3. The two versions use different locations to save their data.
  4. Now that you have been upgraded to v18, Kodi is looking for its data in the UWP package location.

Solution No.1
You may choose to install using the downloadable .exe version. The main benefit is that there are no UWP restrictions and you have control over the update of Kodi.
  1. Go to the Download page
  2. Select INSTALLER (64BIT)
  3. Run the installer
  4. After Kodi has been installed, do not start it.
  5. Go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\ and copy the \Kodi\ folder
  6. Go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\ and paste the \Kodi\ folder
  7. Start Kodi
  8. If you are satisfied all your data has been transferred, you may now choose to uninstall the Store Version.

Solution No.2
If you choose to keep the UWP version of Kodi then follow these instructions to move your data to the correct location.
  1. Exit Kodi
  2. Go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\ and copy the contents of that folder
  3. Go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState\ and paste the contents.
  4. Start Kodi

FAQ
Local Hard Drives are not available
A limitation of the UWP system. Local drives cannot be accessed. Use Solution 1 above
Kodi is only allowed permission to access the default Windows Videos, Music and Pictures library folders.

None of the media in my library plays
If your movies, tv shows and music are on local hard drives they will no longer be accessible to Kodi. See previous comment.

I cannot access SMB folders
The SMB Support (libsmb2) add-on must be installed from Add-ons > My add-ons > Virtual filesystems

If you still experience problems, post the details in this thread.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thumbs Down 
Simply the worst update.

I have it installed from windows store and I have it like this for at least 2 years, works fine usually.

Now I open it, all my settings/ add-ons gone, but since I mainly use it with my own library of movies there is not so much to fiddle with and I start setting it up again.

Surprise I can NOT see my local drives in kodi add srouce anymore.

Does anyone else has this problem with v18?
(2019-01-29, 20:55)tyem Wrote: Simply the worst update.

Feel free to ask you money back at the localised dealer.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-01-29, 21:00)Martijn Wrote:
(2019-01-29, 20:55)tyem Wrote: Simply the worst update.

Feel free to ask you money back at the localised dealer. 
Yep keep pushing updates that destroy the usability, that will increase donations for sure. I would be glad to pay for a "kodi like" app that WORKS. (not having issues on my PC doesnt mean I dont have others with it on other devices).

Saw "Team Kodi" under your name and I have to say Amazing Support. I guess you get what you paid for, as you just mentioned that's nothing.
Having same problem.

Window store pushed the update.

Now like a brand new install...evething gone. And can't see local hard drive.
I have the same problem Kodi 17 last week from Windows Store and configured it every day after work the last days. Today I was almost complete with configuration and whoooop Kodi 18 was there and ALL settings are gone. I want to cry... Can someone help me? Have I start again or is there hope, that the settings are somewhere on a user-folder??

I don't want to do everything again... This sucks...
(2019-01-29, 22:20)Antares1337 Wrote: I have the same problem Kodi 17 last week from ...
 Want to say "I have the same problem. I installed Kodi 17 last week from..."
Is there no Edit-Button on this forum? Maybe I can't see it cause I am blind with anger...
The Userdata folder form Kodi Windows Store Version is located here... %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\

Can you check that location and see what is in that folder. Also check if there are any other similar Kodi folders in that look like duplicates which may still hold your original data.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Yes folder still there and data reflect last backup done on January 27th. Original data

C:\Users\Francois\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi

New folder with today's date January 29th with same sub-folder. Missing all original data.

C:\Users\Francois\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState
My problem was only that I could not see the hard drives in Kodi and I fixed that, I didn't have any problem with redoing the settings.

My fix was simply installing the .exe version for Windows, not that bull crap windows store version. I can see the HDDs now.
i've just regg'ed to be able to say Thank you for u "tyem".
Saved the day for me.
@flavict

I have left a query with the developers. But from what I understand of your post, a new LocalState folder was created, and the LocalCache folder remains intact.

What happens if you copy the contents from LocalCache to LocalState?
My Signature
@flavict

If you haven't been too quick off the mark, can you provide a Debug Log of your "new" install first. Just want to see which paths Kodi is looking for.
My Signature
I am running Windows 10 and have Kodi installed via the Microsoft Store. I received an automatic update to v.18 and now all of my addons and repositories are missing. Is there a way to fix this i.e. find my previous installlations and restore them? Thank you.
Looks like there might be a pathing problem on one of the store updates, try copying the userdata folder from LocalCache if it exists to LocalState

C:\Users\user_name_PatK\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

uwp stores userdata in

C:\Users\user_name_PatK\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalState\userdata

Change "user_name_PatK" to whatever your computer user name is.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Store v18 update resets my settings0