Downloading Subtitles Prior to Playback
I have hearing issues which requires me to watch using subtitles.  Some addons like Foodnetwork and HGTV have the subtitle included in the stream.  Others like WABC and WNBC do not.  I also have other personal media files that I need to add the subtitles to.  It would be nice to have the ability to download the subtitle stream prior to starting playback.  It is very distracting to start the stream then pause it, then bring up the menu, scroll to the audio settings, click on that, then scroll to the "Download Subtitles"option, then selecting the appropriate download and waiting for it to complete all before watching my show.  These steps need to be repeated every time I watch a different stream, so in an evening that's a lot of extra steps to go through.

Additionally, can the subtitle offest option be easier to get to?  Again, the extra OSD menus are distracting to other viewers while I try to sync the subtitles to the playback.

Thanks.

billolzak
(2019-05-18, 18:57)billolzak Wrote: Additionally, can the subtitle offest option be easier to get to?

Yep, getting subtitles for a video is a bit of a nagging experience, but you can use some shortcuts for quicker and easier access.

These are some of those shortcuts I use:

xml:
<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<F5>ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)</F5>
<left mod="ctrl">subtitledelayminus</left>
<right mod="ctrl">subtitledelayplus</right>
<left mod="ctrl,shift">audiodelayminus</left>
<right mod="ctrl,shift">audiodelayplus</right>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

This is when using a PC keyboard. You may have to alter some things for alternate remotes and stuff.
(2019-05-18, 18:57)billolzak Wrote: It would be nice to have the ability to download the subtitle stream prior to starting playback.
I second this request. Having the option in the contextual menu for a video would be much appreciated.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I like the idea, but most would either automate the action or download the subtitle for everything, putting a strain on subtitle services. Broadcasts have always encoded (or should) titling as part of the requirements for broadcast lic. Most movie disks come with subs in many languages.  I do sympathize with the OP wanting to have subs for everything and the process within Kodi can be eased, with 'pause' to search (shouldn't be a long effort, one click in the OSD with the skin T!) and auto scan multiple sources for likely subtitle, but in most cases it's smart to pick the exact sub, the download for broadband is seconds.

"Klojum" suggestion was spot on. I would add that using a wireless mouse makes the effort much easier.
The functionality would be great for people using external players, as those don't have access to subtitles download during playback.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-06-06, 01:09)ashlar Wrote: The functionality would be great for people using external players, as those don't have access to subtitles download during playback.
As an aside to this, I'd like to eliminate the need for external players with fixes to perceived Kodi shortcomings.
(2019-06-08, 23:44)PatK Wrote:
(2019-06-06, 01:09)ashlar Wrote: The functionality would be great for people using external players, as those don't have access to subtitles download during playback.
As an aside to this, I'd like to eliminate the need for external players with fixes to perceived Kodi shortcomings. 
Oh, well, if that were to be realized I'd be more than happy. In the meantime... external players allow to patch weaknesses. But I agree with you, generally speaking.
Just in case anyone is not aware, there is an addon to help with this exact issue, I think?  https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AutoSubs

Although using a media manager type program (e.g. tinymediamanager, filebot etc) to essentially automate this at the server end is another way of doing this.  Plus there are script like subliminal etc...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Downloading Subtitles Prior to Playback0