Proper Framerate on Android TV
Hi!
I used a RPi with my old TV, which always showed the switch off framerate as instructed by Kodi according to the source material and looked as it should.
Now I got a new Phillips 4K Android TV 8.0 and installed Kodi via the Play Store. I checked the setting to adjust the framerate. The TV doesn't show the framerate the display is set on. I believe it does not switch as I see stuttering depending on the framerate. How can I debug this issue? Can Kodi even change the framerate of the TV if it is installed as an app? Is it an Android TV thing? Is it manufacturer dependent?
No. Ask Philips to fix their firmware, has nothing to do with kodi. If you still can -> return the TV.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-07-13, 09:20)fritsch Wrote: No. Ask Philips to fix their firmware, has nothing to do with kodi. If you still can -> return the TV.
Is this a known issue of the firmware or maybe I am just missing setting? Not gonna return it, even if it's not fixable. It was a good deal even without the "smart features" worst case is getting a 4k compatible box supporting libreelec.
(2019-07-13, 09:20)fritsch Wrote: No. Ask Philips to fix their firmware, has nothing to do with kodi. If you still can -> return the TV.

If Netflix can do it then surely it is not Philip's firmware that is the issue. Should I return my Sony Bravia since Leia 18.3 introduced woeful audio lag?
(2019-07-13, 08:38)Roxxor Wrote: Hi!
I used a RPi with my old TV, which always showed the switch off framerate as instructed by Kodi according to the source material and looked as it should.
Now I got a new Phillips 4K Android TV 8.0 and installed Kodi via the Play Store. I checked the setting to adjust the framerate. The TV doesn't show the framerate the display is set on. I believe it does not switch as I see stuttering depending on the framerate. How can I debug this issue? Can Kodi even change the framerate of the TV if it is installed as an app? Is it an Android TV thing? Is it manufacturer dependent?

Kodi has never been able change framerate on Android televisions, also Kodi cannot do 4K on these TVs. The situation exists on Sony, Philips and other manufacturers televisions with all Kodi versions. I haven't heard there will be a fix for this problem.
(2019-07-13, 20:45)ProjectVRD Wrote:

Kodi has never been able change framerate on Android televisions, also Kodi cannot do 4K on these TVs. The situation exists on Sony, Philips and other manufacturers televisions with all Kodi versions. I haven't heard there will be a fix for this problem. 

I actually expected this. It would have been a surprise if non-System installed Android Apps would be able to change the framerate of the TV. It is fine for now. In the future I'll get a dedicated mediacenter.
(2019-07-13, 20:45)ProjectVRD Wrote:

What? It perfectly works fine with Nvidia Shield that is properly implementing the modeset API. Kodi cannot compensate for Sony, Philips and all the others that only want the user to pay money ...
Edit: Also works fine on FireTV 4K.

It's not manufacturer dependend but API dependend: https://developer.android.com/reference/...tedModes()
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-07-13, 20:45)ProjectVRD Wrote: ... Kodi cannot do 4K on these TVs. The situation exists on Sony, Philips and other manufacturers televisions with all Kodi versions. I haven't heard there will be a fix for this problem.
Please stop talking nonsense. Kodi can play 4K absolutely fine on those tv's in native resolution.
(2019-07-14, 19:57)fritsch Wrote: It perfectly works fine with Nvidia Shield that is properly implementing the modeset API. 

Not really. I mean it works when it works. When Nvidia Shield goes to sleep with Kodi still running, it'll stop working (framerate change) after waking up. Kodi needs to be restarted. This works perfectly OK with my Amazon Firestick (old, non 4k) with Kodi 17.6. It does not work well on my Nvidia Shield witj Kodi 18.3 and Onkyo receiver/Sony Bravia TV. Go figure...
When Shield looses the handshake after "sleep" or reconfigures the  window modes, this is one thing and has nothing to do with the functionality of switching refreshrates.
Btw. my Firetv 4k switches nicely to 24 hz / etc. - so not sure which problem you have with that one.

Afaik a workaround was implemented for the sleep / wakeup problematic here (window mode ids were changing): https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/2166...a352b44f92 - should be in 18.4

Not every bug you find is a kodi bug. Btw. when I turn off the TV I cannot see a picture. Go figure ...
Quote:What? It perfectly works fine with Nvidia Shield that is properly implementing the modeset API. Kodi cannot compensate for Sony, Philips and all the others that only want the user to pay money ...
It is a design decision one can make. My BRAVIA also permanently operates at 120Hz, therefore handling 30 and 60fps perfectly. For 24p, the TV can do a perfect 5:5. The only problem therefore is PAL. FRC however perfectly upconverts 25/50 to 30/60. The big plus of this approach is that there is never a mode switch which is prone to errors, plus the GUI reaction time is always as fast which can become a pain at 24Hz.
I agree with Kodi can play 4K absolutely fine on those tv's in native resolution. I have tried it and it works very well
(2019-07-16, 21:26)CiNcH Wrote:
Quote:What? It perfectly works fine with Nvidia Shield that is properly implementing the modeset API. Kodi cannot compensate for Sony, Philips and all the others that only want the user to pay money ...
It is a design decision one can make. My BRAVIA also permanently operates at 120Hz, therefore handling 30 and 60fps perfectly. For 24p, the TV can do a perfect 5:5. The only problem therefore is PAL. FRC however perfectly upconverts 25/50 to 30/60. The big plus of this approach is that there is never a mode switch which is prone to errors, plus the GUI reaction time is always as fast which can become a pain at 24Hz.

That agrees with what the Australian Sony's owners are seeing. Those that recently updated to the Oreo OS release.

25/50fps IPTV Apps are being reported as playing back much smoother vs when using the previous Nougat:

https://whrl.pl/RfoN7p

At least with respect to Kodi, nothing changed between Nougat and Oreo for me. Neither does the BRAVIA/Android TV autonomously switch refresh rate, nor can Kodi do so. The 25/50fps refresh rate samples from Kodi's samples collection still behave the same. Disabling Motionflow/Film mode results in judder.

So it might be related to different Motionflow settings. A lot of people just disable it because those professional calibrators keep iterating on how evil motion interpolation is. Then those people upgrade and factory reset and forget to re-apply settings. Boom... smooth 50fps @ 60Hz. BRAVIAs with X1*whatever* image processor do a really good job with motion interpolation. You can tune it to keep SOE and artifacting at a minimum.
(2019-07-14, 20:05)puenktchen Wrote:
(2019-07-13, 20:45)ProjectVRD Wrote: ... Kodi cannot do 4K on these TVs. The situation exists on Sony, Philips and other manufacturers televisions with all Kodi versions. I haven't heard there will be a fix for this problem.
Please stop talking nonsense. Kodi can play 4K absolutely fine on those tv's in native resolution. 
It really cannot. Download a test card video for yourself and see. Play that test card in the native Video player for Android TV and the card displays exactly how it should, play that same test card video in Kodi and it looks exactly what you would expect from a 1080p resolution video. And the option to change resolution in Kodi itself is greyed out, there is no way for the end user to change this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper Framerate on Android TV0