• 544(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2020-02-15, 04:46)MrBuyakah Wrote: Matt, can anything be done in the Chromebox (Haswell) firmware to identify USB flash drives any better?  I understand that not all sticks are compatible.  I have an external SSD (Samsung 250GB Evo) in a Sabrent enclosure and it's hit and miss that it gets mounted on boot.  Even swapping the ports while a distro is up doesn't allow it to mount.  I have to resort to turning off and on the box.

I've found the rear ports to work more reliably, but other than that I'm not sure. I have a few external enclosures and they are hit/miss on pretty much every device I attach them to
Hi Matt and the community,

I need your help please. I have an Asus CN62 chromebox with Celeron 3215u processor.
I ordered a new 256gb SSD, installed it, removed the write protection screw, booted in developer mode, installed a recovery version of chrome OS.
I then used the shell from the login screen ([CTRL+ALT+F2] and login with user 'chronos').
I then loaded the Kodi E-Z Setup Script, selected option 6 (Install/Update Custom UEFI firmware for standalone setups). I did a backup of the old firmware as recommended.
It then installed the new firmware and i got the success confirmation message.
I rebooted the chromebox, and since then it is not showing any sign of life (only power light is on, but screen is not showing anything).

Did i miss anything in my process? Do you think my chromebox is bricked ? Is there any work around to reset the chromebox, re-do the whole process?

My plan is to install Windows 10, i have the USB installation key (prepared with Microsoft tool).

Thanks a lot for your help,
Hassan
(2020-03-03, 13:18)hassoune Wrote: Hi Matt and the community,

I need your help please. I have an Asus CN62 chromebox with Celeron 3215u processor.
I ordered a new 256gb SSD, installed it, removed the write protection screw, booted in developer mode, installed a recovery version of chrome OS.
I then used the shell from the login screen ([CTRL+ALT+F2] and login with user 'chronos').
I then loaded the Kodi E-Z Setup Script, selected option 6 (Install/Update Custom UEFI firmware for standalone setups). I did a backup of the old firmware as recommended.
It then installed the new firmware and i got the success confirmation message.
I rebooted the chromebox, and since then it is not showing any sign of life (only power light is on, but screen is not showing anything).

Did i miss anything in my process? Do you think my chromebox is bricked ? Is there any work around to reset the chromebox, re-do the whole process?

My plan is to install Windows 10, i have the USB installation key (prepared with Microsoft tool).

Thanks a lot for your help,
Hassan
Did you actually install any operating system? Try booting your Win10 setup stick and install.
I have an old Chromebox with OpenELEC v5.0.8 and Kodi 14.2.

I want to use SABNZBD daemon on it but don't think I can do that with OpenELEC (let me know if that's not the case).  So instead I want to install Lubuntu. 

Can I just follow the steps as though it was a new installation?

For a standalone setup, you will need to perform the following steps:
  • Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw
  • Put the ChromeBox in developer mode
  • Download/run the Kodi E-Z Setup Script
  • Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one
  • Create install media for desired OS. Script includes option to create install media for LibreELEC
  • Power off ChromeBox
  • Connect/plug-in USB install media (if not using LibreELEC media you just created)
  • Power on ChromeBox, Press [ESC] from boot menu, select USB device (no longer needed with UEFI firmware; USB devices will boot automatically)
  • Install LibreELEC, GalliumOS, or your OS of choice
(2020-03-29, 10:53)rustyfrog666 Wrote: I have an old Chromebox with OpenELEC v5.0.8 and Kodi 14.2.

I want to use SABNZBD daemon on it but don't think I can do that with OpenELEC (let me know if that's not the case).  So instead I want to install Lubuntu. 

• Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one
  • Create install media for desired OS. Script includes option to create install media for LibreELEC
  • Power off ChromeBox
  • Connect/plug-in USB install media (if not using LibreELEC media you just created)
  • Power on ChromeBox, Press [ESC] from boot menu, select USB device (no longer needed with UEFI firmware; USB devices will boot automatically)

regardless of whether or not you can run Sabnzbd under OpenELEC, you'd be smart to start fresh given the age of your install:

* boot a Ubuntu USB
* update to latest UEFI Firmware
* reboot and boot/install OS

There are certainly ways to install Sabnzbd under LibreELEC (what I'd recommend) and if you're using the device for Kodi then that's what I'd recommend. Using Ubuntu + Kodi is always going to be slightly less optimal as a Kodi playback device
(2020-04-01, 02:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2020-03-29, 10:53)rustyfrog666 Wrote: I have an old Chromebox with OpenELEC v5.0.8 and Kodi 14.2.

• Power off ChromeBox

regardless of whether or not you can run Sabnzbd under OpenELEC, you'd be smart to start fresh given the age of your install:

* boot a Ubuntu USB

There are certainly ways to install Sabnzbd under LibreELEC (what I'd recommend) and if you're using the device for Kodi then that's what I'd recommend. Using Ubuntu + Kodi is always going to be slightly less optimal as a Kodi playback device 

Thanks for the advice.  I am using it for Kodi but just needed it to also handle my downloads.  So LibreELEC sounds ideal.  I just had a vague memory from when I installed Kodi on it before that it wasn't as straight forward as a "normal" install.  Appreciate your help.  Thanks
(2020-04-01, 17:25)rustyfrog666 Wrote:
(2020-04-01, 02:59)Matt Devo Wrote:

• Power off ChromeBox

* boot a Ubuntu USB

Thanks for the advice.  I am using it for Kodi but just needed it to also handle my downloads.  So LibreELEC sounds ideal.  I just had a vague memory from when I installed Kodi on it before that it wasn't as straight forward as a "normal" install.  Appreciate your help.  Thanks  
Dear Matt,
I decided to convert my Asus CN60 from ChromeOS to standalone linux and followed the steps like above.
I am stuck at step: plug-in usb install media.
When I insert the usb (with linux mint) I don't get a boot menu, it goes directly into Shell.

I tried two different usb sticks, both resulted in the same way.
What am I doing wrong? BTW, I tested the usb stick on my dell laptop and it booted into the live cd.

Appreciate your help,
Adam
(2020-04-25, 22:47)adamkat Wrote: Dear Matt,
I decided to convert my Asus CN60 from ChromeOS to standalone linux and followed the steps like above.
When I insert the usb (with linux mint) I don't get a boot menu, it goes directly into Shell.

What am I doing wrong? BTW, I tested the usb stick on my dell laptop and it booted into the live cd.

Appreciate your help,
Adam 

it doesn't auto boot USB anymore, you need to select from the boot menu. Either press ESC when the boot splash shows (which it may not on some displays) or just type 'exit' and press enter from the shell (a note which I'll be adding to the next version)
(2020-04-26, 01:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2020-04-25, 22:47)adamkat Wrote: Dear Matt,

Appreciate your help,
Adam 

it doesn't auto boot USB anymore, you need to select from the boot menu. Either press ESC when the boot splash shows (which it may not on some displays) or just type 'exit' and press enter from the shell (a note which I'll be adding to the next version) 

Dear Matt,
It worked!
I want to share with you how excited I am about converting my chromebox to linux. It has so many positive qualities to name a few:
  1. It's good for the environment - let electronic waste
  2. It's saves you money
  3. It empowers you. I can open the computer, replace ram/ssd, change firmware, etc...
  4. I get better privacy - no more sending google everything I do
  5. Freedom to install any software I want
Thank you so much for this wonderful project!!!
I hope it's okay to ask, it's been such a long time since I've dabbled with the Chromebox and I can't find my notes anywhere, so I'd like some input to prevent the uncooperative black screen and the accompanying stress.

Currently my Asus Chromebox CN60 is running Kodi 17.3 on LibreELEC 8.0.2.

I wish to update to the best build of Kodi and LibreELEC (if there is one). But where do I start to safely update my device and keep the girlfriend happy?
(2020-05-01, 22:27)botox Wrote: I hope it's okay to ask, it's been such a long time since I've dabbled with the Chromebox and I can't find my notes anywhere, so I'd like some input to prevent the uncooperative black screen and the accompanying stress.

Currently my Asus Chromebox CN60 is running Kodi 17.3 on LibreELEC 8.0.2.

I wish to update to the best build of Kodi and LibreELEC (if there is one). But where do I start to safely update my device and keep the girlfriend happy?

just do a manual update to LE 9.2.2 (Generic Intel/AMD x86_64 build), there's nothing special required for a Chromebox running a standalone LE setup. Just a manual update is required for all major version upgrades (8.x to 9.x) but that's universal, not specific to the Chromebox
"RW_LEGACY / Legacy Boot Mode is not currently working on the CN65"

Is this still the case?
(2020-05-14, 05:34)petecat1 Wrote: "RW_LEGACY / Legacy Boot Mode is not currently working on the CN65"

Is this still the case?

unsure, and don't have one handy to test unfortunately.
(2020-05-14, 06:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2020-05-14, 05:34)petecat1 Wrote: "RW_LEGACY / Legacy Boot Mode is not currently working on the CN65"

Is this still the case?

unsure, and don't have one handy to test unfortunately. 
I have one that I haven't tried your firmware on for over a year.  Would anything have changed in that time, or is there some way to update the chromebox and try?  Or is it unlikely to make a difference?
(2020-05-14, 07:24)petecat1 Wrote: I have one that I haven't tried your firmware on for over a year.  Would anything have changed in that time, or is there some way to update the chromebox and try?  Or is it unlikely to make a difference?

if you have one that's in Developer Mode, or you don't mind wiping to put in Developer Mode, then please do flash the RW_LEGACY firmware and see if SeaBIOS will boot (optionally try to boot a USB). Whatever is/was broken was on Google's end so quite possible it got fixed since you last tried
  • 544(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37