• 55(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
(2022-01-01, 17:46)quietvoid Wrote:
(2022-01-01, 17:35)gilsonsjc Wrote: I suspected that was true since I did the same testing with the Shield TV PRO on a DV supported TV and it worked just fine. That is a pity since it would force me to have both version (DV and HDR) of the files to be able to play them on my devices.

How about the .mp4 DV dropping frames issue? I noticed that also happens with Shield TV PRO http://paste.kodi.tv/hezozavodi

I have no idea. I suggest playing the file locally instead of streaming.
That is not an option for me (not enough disk to save all my movie collection locally).

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Smile
(2022-01-02, 16:47)Slickric21 Wrote:
(2022-01-01, 15:11)Slickric21 Wrote: For the record I use the lastest Master v7a on my FireStick 4K and FireStick Max, these seem to work fine and I update maybe once every 2 weeks.

When I first started looking for DV support and started using Maverns builds back in early Nov, the specific ‘FireTV’ builds did NOT include the DV support.
I don’t know if this has changed since then ?

But the standard Master and Matrix v7a versions have always worked perfect (for DV) on my FireSticks.

Just to update this, I’ve just tested the FireStick version of Maverns lastest DV Master build and it does indeed now work for DV mkvs.

However I’m going to keep using the Standard version as I’ve noticed that files with TrueHD audio are sending 2.0 channel DD+ to my AVR with the FireTV version.
Standard version sends 5.1 channel DD+ to my AVR.

Can’t noticed any other differences between the 2 builds for a FireStick
I came to the same conclusion.... DV works perfect on mkv .  not on mp4 yet.... but the downside of having it to play in PCM instead of atmos is a buzzkill. 
I saved up a long time to play through my klipsch set... so i do want to make advantage of it haha  
But luckily there is some good news ,  Did you try Fandango version yet.  That one does passtrough and play DV. But sadly not maintained anymore by creator, and stuck on version 19.0
(2021-12-31, 18:09)pxr5164 Wrote:
(2021-12-31, 07:27)jjtec Wrote: Hey guys

I'm having trouble playing Dolby Vision files on my Sony X900F TV. I've tried using several versions of Kodi, including the front page and other Maven versions. But I always have the same result: The DV logo appears in the corner of the screen, the video is played, I get Dolby Atmos in my sound bar, but the colors are totally wrong. It's not the same when I play MP Classic on my computer, which doesn't have anything to play DV installed and everything turns purple and green. On TV's Kodi it doesn't look too bad, but all the colors look weird, faded and shifted. There's also a red haze in the black bars of the movie.

Can you tell me if any version of Kodi would solve this problem? Or my TV is not able to do this?

I'm running the files through a USB HD and 3 MKV files that I tested, they are displayed with this information in the media info:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

If I can't play DV files on my TV, is it possible to fix it with a Firestick TV 4K? Or would it be necessary to purchase a Shield Pro?

Sorry if I asked any dumb question. But it's all a little new for me and I'm trying to learn Smile

Thanks.
I have an LG C1 that supports DV but Kodi can not be installed on an LG (WebOS). Strangely the LG's built in media player can't play DV either and gives the green/pink problem. So I resorted to using a Firestick 4K Max. I used the Matrix-FireTV build from Kodinerds on page one of this thread and it works fine.  As you get the DV logo when you play back through Kodi on your TV, I'm assuming your Sony must support DV content.
Actually LG TVs can play DV files, not the ones that we get from internet... Doesn't your C1 come with two showcase videos that have DV ? My C9 comes with it... they are located in the internal memory of the tv. Those vids prob are encoded in a special way so that the tv can decode it.
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
The necessary patches for Dolby Vision in MKV were merged into FFmpeg and should be in the 5.0 release.
So normally custom FFmpeg builds won't be necessary once Kodi Nexus updates FFmpeg from 4.4 to 5.0.

There may be additional changes needed in Kodi, though.
(2022-01-03, 23:27)onesolo Wrote:
(2021-12-31, 18:09)pxr5164 Wrote:
(2021-12-31, 07:27)jjtec Wrote: Hey guys

I'm having trouble playing Dolby Vision files on my Sony X900F TV. I've tried using several versions of Kodi, including the front page and other Maven versions. But I always have the same result: The DV logo appears in the corner of the screen, the video is played, I get Dolby Atmos in my sound bar, but the colors are totally wrong. It's not the same when I play MP Classic on my computer, which doesn't have anything to play DV installed and everything turns purple and green. On TV's Kodi it doesn't look too bad, but all the colors look weird, faded and shifted. There's also a red haze in the black bars of the movie.

Can you tell me if any version of Kodi would solve this problem? Or my TV is not able to do this?

I'm running the files through a USB HD and 3 MKV files that I tested, they are displayed with this information in the media info:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

If I can't play DV files on my TV, is it possible to fix it with a Firestick TV 4K? Or would it be necessary to purchase a Shield Pro?

Sorry if I asked any dumb question. But it's all a little new for me and I'm trying to learn Smile

Thanks.
I have an LG C1 that supports DV but Kodi can not be installed on an LG (WebOS). Strangely the LG's built in media player can't play DV either and gives the green/pink problem. So I resorted to using a Firestick 4K Max. I used the Matrix-FireTV build from Kodinerds on page one of this thread and it works fine.  As you get the DV logo when you play back through Kodi on your TV, I'm assuming your Sony must support DV content.
Actually LG TVs can play DV files, not the ones that we get from internet... Doesn't your C1 come with two showcase videos that have DV ? My C9 comes with it... they are located in the internal memory of the tv. Those vids prob are encoded in a special way so that the tv can decode it.

Yes I've since found that out. I was using DV test files I found online. I tried another test file that was an LG one and that worked OK. After a very basic check between 2 or 3 different test files I checked them with mediainfo and these were the differences (no idea what this means):

Works OK - Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU

Doesn't work - Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU
(2021-12-27, 00:58)Hitcher Wrote: @onesolo as the title of thread states this build supports DV MKVs.

Sorry for the late reply, can you tell me the difference between DV MKVs and DV MP4 ? Because for me DV MP4 works perfectly fine on my Shield. I don't understand why all the fuzz with DV MKVs.
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
(2022-01-05, 12:29)onesolo Wrote:
(2021-12-27, 00:58)Hitcher Wrote: @onesolo as the title of thread states this build supports DV MKVs.

Sorry for the late reply, can you tell me the difference between DV MKVs and DV MP4 ? Because for me DV MP4 works perfectly fine on my Shield. I don't understand why all the fuzz with DV MKVs.
Dv mp4 are the files (Compressed +-15 Gb)  streaming services use , like disney + .  DV mkv are Remuxes from the Original Blu rays 1 on 1 (+- 60/70 Gb)
(2022-01-04, 17:19)quietvoid Wrote: The necessary patches for Dolby Vision in MKV were merged into FFmpeg and should be in the 5.0 release.
So normally custom FFmpeg builds won't be necessary once Kodi Nexus updates FFmpeg from 4.4 to 5.0.

There may be additional changes needed in Kodi, though.

Fantastic news! Thank you so much @quietvoid .

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Any help on this guys? Much appreciated.
Perhaps it's obvious and I'm just not getting it, but why would videos in MKV containers play better than in MP4? Is it something inherent in the container format, or in the way remux is decoded versus streaming's H.265 encoding?
@selfcontained MP4 containers cannot contain HD audio formats like DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD. So for ripping blu-rays including HD audio, MKV is the only option.
So do the Maven builds of Dolby Vision MKV listed on Kodinerds *also* include auto: Frame Rate Matching / TV Refresh Rate Switching or do we additionally have to install AFRd? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229310&page=10
(2022-01-08, 05:27)selfcontained Wrote: So do the Maven builds of Dolby Vision MKV listed on Kodinerds *also* include auto: Frame Rate Matching / TV Refresh Rate Switching or do we additionally have to install AFRd?

They do. The Maven builds usually don't have any features removed, just added or changed.

Why don't you give one of the builds a try? They use a different package name than the official Kodi builds, so you can run them side-by-side on your Android devices.
I'm looking forward to trying it all out. I'm still waiting on a new display and I've just returned my Khadas VIM3 Pro - and am looking to buy a MINIX NEO U22-XJ. I think the prevailing wisdom with this device is to flash it with the latest Ugoos AM6 Plus firmware or perhaps SlimBox TV -- *then* I'll install the latest Maven Matrix or Master build.

Now if there was a single build for Android that included Dolby Vision HDR (.mp4, .mkv, .TS, M2TS), HDR10+ (all container formats), HLG HDR (all container formats), HDR10 (all container formats), etc.... Smile
(2022-01-05, 19:25)Roberto® Wrote:
(2022-01-05, 12:29)onesolo Wrote:

Dv mp4 are the files (Compressed +-15 Gb)  streaming services use , like disney + .  DV mkv are Remuxes from the Original Blu rays 1 on 1 (+- 60/70 Gb)
But then why usually now both files, mkv and mp4, are made available from the same streaming show ??
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0