• 1(current)
Kodi broken after Nvidia Shield Experience 9 Update - Nvidia 9.1.0 now available
So my latest gen NVidia Shield updated today with the new Experience 9.0. And now my Matrix Kodi 19.3 can't see any local media files. It loads up fine but when I try to play any files on local storage it acts like they are missing. Some images I keep on local storage also won't show up in Kodi. They don't show up in Kodi file explorer either.

Kodi still has full permissions to access files and FX Explorer on my Shield sees files just fine.

I have already cleared the cache, changed my skin back to default, and restarted the device several times, but yet the problem persists.

Has anyone else had this issue yet?
Yes, same issue here.

Luckily I don't use any local media files, but it's still annoying.

According to the Nvidia people on the Shield TV forums, app developers need to fix this because of changes in the permission model in Android TV 11.
Yes looks that the permission model is indeed more strict. Previously I could for example access the internal logfiles from Kodi on the shield via my windows pc. With the new Experience 9.0 I do no longer have permission to do that. So that very annoying (any workarounds to still do that are welcome)
Has anyone had any joy after installing the hot fix?

I haven’t installed yet but can’t even get kodi app to open at present

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...fix-image/
The 9.0.1 hotfix should fix that (you need to register to get that pushed).

After installing the hotfix, I could access all files on internal storage over the network again.

However, the hotfix does not fix the issue where file explorer type apps show only folders but not files.

Sofar I have found only FX File Explorer to show local files, but even that one no longer allows you to go into the /Android/data folder.
(2022-01-13, 11:56)MrMagic Wrote: Sofar I have found only FX File Explorer to show local files, but even that one no longer allows you to go into the /Android/data folder.

It's a limitation of Android 11 and you'll need something like Solid Explorer to be able to explore the Android/data folder. It also includes an FTP server.
(2022-01-13, 12:10)A600 Wrote: It's a limitation of Android 11 and you'll need something like Solid Explorer to be able to explore the Android/data folder. It also includes an FTP server.

Will that work without root? Because once you have root most file explorers will probably be able to access the Android/data folder again.
Yes, without root. That's the app I used during the beta testing and you can try it for a week before purchasing.
I’ve installed the hot fix and I can access kodi again and I’ve the same issue so it can see folders but not files. Are we therefore stuck until the kodi developers release an update for this?
I think I'll wait a bit with the 9.0 upgrade before all (hot)fixes have passed by.
(2022-01-13, 13:46)Klojum Wrote: I think I'll wait a bit with the 9.0 upgrade before all (hot)fixes have passed by.

Is this issue already in Kodi radar for a fix or does someone need to raise a request?
(2022-01-13, 13:46)Klojum Wrote: I think I'll wait a bit with the 9.0 upgrade before all (hot)fixes have passed by.

Same, there's a report on the ShieldTV reddit that 9.0 messes up deinterlacing of live TV/PVR (1080i 50Hz UK specifically) so that's reason enough for me to avoid it for a while, or indefinitely if Nvidia show no interest in fixing that.

Nvidia is saying on their forum that app developers need to update their apps to support the new Android TV 11 file system permissions model.

So waiting for hotfixes may not be enough in this case.
Is there any temporary way for kodi to real files? I want to copy over subtitles
It's absurd that NVidia put out an update like this and didn't warn devs BEFORE pushing this out. I haven't even checked RetroArch yet but I'm assuming it's useless now as well.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi broken after Nvidia Shield Experience 9 Update - Nvidia 9.1.0 now available0