• 6(current)
Kodi broken after Nvidia Shield Experience 9 Update - Nvidia 9.1.0 now available
@lkj23 see earlier post about using adblink and just have it relocate your files and set the env to reflect
For years I've been using a Flirc with a Logitech Harmony for years with no issues. Updated to 9.0 experience and it's borked Kodi navigation for me. The OK button on my remote simulates an Enter keyboard keystroke and when I press that now it brings up the context window (or the equivilent of the C keystroke). This happens for about four to five attempts before it eventually works.

I also tried unplugging the Flirc and instead just using a wireless Logitech keyboard. And that does the exact same thing.

I haven't updated my other Shield and it works perfectly fine still so definately something weird with this release.
Kodi will have to start targeting Android 11 since it still only targets Android 10(API 29).
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...xml.in#L10

Any future update of Kodi to the Play Store will be blocked by Google since the Nov 2021 deadline already passed.

Starting in November 2021, app updates will be required to target API level 30 or above and adjust for behavioral changes in Android 11. Existing apps that are not receiving updates are unaffected and can continue to be downloaded from the Play Store. Wear OS apps must continue to target API level 28 or higher.
https://developer.android.com/google/pla...target-sdk

Android 11 is required for the correct scoped storage permissions and might even fix lots of these other problems users are experiencing.
Other media player apps already target Android 12.

It's almost pointless to test an Android 10 app on Android 11 on the Shield and other Android 11/12 devices and know where the problems arise from since they are/target different OS's and use different API's.
The fault lies with Google for implementing this ridiculous scoped storage without thinking it through and forcing manufacturers to use it to become Google Certified.

I hope Kodi or someone can create a PR to implement API 30 soon then at least users will have a better way to test and report problems better.
(2022-01-18, 09:53)Zuikkis Wrote:
(2022-01-18, 01:03)BoosterSilver Wrote: Well I bought a new Nvidia shield just to see if I could get it set up before it updated to Android 11. And I couldn't. Literally couldn't do anything until it was connected to the internet and installed the latest update. So back to Amazon it goes.

Hmmh. What's the exact problem then? There should be no real issues on new installs.
Oh because I wanted to just import my setup to a fresh Shield that was still on Android 9 but because I couldn't turn off updates until AFTER it updated to Android 11 that completely defeated the purpose of getting a new one. Yes, I suppose I could use adblink and point the env to reflect but. I don't know how to do that because I'm not familiar with that software, and I'm not at a point right now where I have the time or patience to go down a technical rabbit hole to fix this issue. So for now, I'm just going to wait until something gets updated or I can easily downgrade, I guess.
(2022-01-14, 19:14)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 18:56)iMak Wrote: So to restore I have to replace the whole folder after I reinstall Kodi?

Just make sure first you get a proper backup of the Kodi profile folder. I personally have not yet uninstalled Kodi on the Nvidia Shield, so I'm unsure what to expect. Hopefully there is a question at some point to leave the application data alone (or something similar).

Because of the local storage problems with the new 9.0 'experience', I thought a network connection would be better. But, just try your method first.

I tried to copy the folder "org.xbmc.kodi" from the internal storage to an attached external drive, but it was copied partially, only 2GB was copied out of 4GB. Is this because of the access restrictions?
Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929, Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050, Dolby Atmos/DTS:X (5.1.4) Front Mains: Jamo C109, Surrounds: Jamo C103, FH/RH: Jamo C93, Center: Jamo C10 CEN and Subwoofer: Jamo J112 SUB
(2022-01-19, 15:18)iMak Wrote: but it was copied partially, only 2GB was copied out of 4GB. Is this because of the access restrictions?

I don't know... Which part was copied and which part wasn't?
(2022-01-13, 18:25)Filmbuff Wrote: I have a peculiar issue with the new 9.0 and Kodi, it simply does not start, gets stuck on the matrix screen and says it is waiting for the external storage. However, if I reboot the Shield and start Kodi, then it all works. Once Kodi loads all movies are in the library and playable without problems.

In answer to myself, disabling the always on USB in Shield settings seems to have sorted the problem. Kodi loads and works fine again, the only small annoyance is the pop-up window appearing when the Shield starts, open file commander when external storage is found.
Maybe changing the file explorer will sort that out as well.

ETA, only disabling the USB port where I have Kodi filesystem, and not the one I use as external storage sorted the last issue as well. No more annoying pop-up, everything seems to work.
Without doing anything I have just turn on my Nvidia, entered in kodi, a message of clearing cache appears and another of preparing for the first run and voila!!! Kodi works perfectly and all my files and strm files are availables again
(2022-01-19, 19:36)lkj23 Wrote: Without doing anything I have just turn on my Nvidia, entered in kodi, a message of clearing cache appears and another of preparing for the first run and voila!!! Kodi works perfectly and all my files and strm files are availables again

False alarm, now it read the content but if I tried to reproduce the ssd disconnect.
I'm pretty happy that i turned off all automatic updates from the beginning, only manual updates on all my devices.
I still can't get this resolved.
I have installed KODI and meanwhile 2 Forks of 19.3 and am trying to play my videos via OneDrive on the Shield 2019 (the round one) after it has now been upgraded to 9.0.0 This crashes within the first 3 to 10 seconds. (it goes to a black screen which won't play anymore).
From the FX exporer I can still play these mkv files from OneDrive on the upgraded Shield on FX player
So this remains an unsatisfactory and strange situation.

I don't dare to try the hotfix yet, because I read that you can't go back and I read that it may not solve the problems either...

Tips?
I gave up trying to get the 9.0 Update to work and downgraded to the latest Recovery OS.
Lots of work and all settings are lost, but at least I got a working Shield again.

A manual can be found in the Shield Forum, just google "Shield 9.0 Downgrade" and click on the Nvidia link.
(2022-01-19, 15:35)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-01-19, 15:18)iMak Wrote: but it was copied partially, only 2GB was copied out of 4GB. Is this because of the access restrictions?

I don't know... Which part was copied and which part wasn't?
Here, I tried my best to view the folders and files... Of course I copied the org.xbmc.kodi folder to an external drive...

Nvidia Shield TV 2015, Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929, Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050, Dolby Atmos/DTS:X (5.1.4) Front Mains: Jamo C109, Surrounds: Jamo C103, FH/RH: Jamo C93, Center: Jamo C10 CEN and Subwoofer: Jamo J112 SUB
New HotFix: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...fix-image/
Second HotFix (33.1.0.264 deployed 1/20/2022) :
[2019 SHIELD all models] Includes Plex Media Server app which resolves issues with external storage
Resolves Issues with interlaced content playback
Fixes CEC volume control sometimes increments and decrements by 2
Remove creation of default Android phone type folders (Ringtones, Downlods, Photos, Movies, etc) added to USB portable storage
Update Match Refresh Rate String with Beta in all locations
Remove preview thumbnail when taking a screen shot with the menu button
Resolves Long press of Brand button on Xbox one controller does not invoke Stadia more than once
Resolves IR volume control is disabled when USB DACs are in use
Big respect to Nvidia. They working hard and fast to solve the issues!
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi broken after Nvidia Shield Experience 9 Update - Nvidia 9.1.0 now available0