Better performance from within docker than apt install on Raspberry Pi OS - RPi4B
(2023-06-23, 21:05)jepsizofye Wrote: sounds like it is playing on the wrong screen or the resolution it switched to isnt supported by the tv - more so the first

your log is cut off, please provide the uncut version

Sorry about that, I tried to be efficient and only include what was relevant... more hurry less speed!

Full debug log of the issue - https://paste.kodi.tv/upimilihih.kodi
looks like you lost some pi configuration

your previous log was using HDMI-A-2 - https://paste.kodi.tv/otawodomiy.kodi line 124

your current log is now trying to output to /dev/video18 - https://paste.kodi.tv/upimilihih.kodi line 794

check your pi* config - https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...g_txt.html

-----

i also noticed your advancedsettings.xml is mising on the new log, present in the original - dont think its related but i noticed it just the same
After the mess I'd made of the previous stuff, I left everything as vanilla as possible to not mess anything up, but now, I've just gone and changed

Code:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4

to

Code:
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d-pi4,cma-384
dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2

And... all is working.

Any chance the wiki could be updated with up to date stuff?  I'm not even 100% sure on the above, I picked it up all over the place as I was trying to fix the previous problem!
right on glad you got it

-----

regarding wiki, you can post a request in the wiki section for an update - https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=262

include all the urls and details so there is less guesswork

if you find you are confident enough with your settings you could request your own wiki account and do some updating yourself as well
On it.  Thanks so much for the help dude, really, massively appreciate it!
you're quite welcome
(2023-06-23, 22:46)seaders Wrote: After the mess I'd made of the previous stuff, I left everything as vanilla as possible to not mess anything up, but now, I've just gone and changed

Code:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4

to

Code:
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d-pi4,cma-384
dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2

And... all is working.

Any chance the wiki could be updated with up to date stuff?  I'm not even 100% sure on the above, I picked it up all over the place as I was trying to fix the previous problem!
The rpivid-v4l2 overlay became enabled by default over a year ago.
If that actually makes a difference, then it suggests your RpiOS install is outdated (it should be on a 6.1 kernel by default).

Also vc4-fkms-v3d is deprecated. vc4-kms-v3d is the correct one to use (and the default).
If you are up to date and vc4-kms-v3d is not working and vc4-fkms-v3d is, then we should investigate why that is.

It normally is caused by an issue with hotplug or edid of the display.
(2023-06-25, 14:11)popcornmix Wrote: The rpivid-v4l2 overlay became enabled by default over a year ago.
If that actually makes a difference, then it suggests your RpiOS install is outdated (it should be on a 6.1 kernel by default).

Also vc4-fkms-v3d is deprecated. vc4-kms-v3d is the correct one to use (and the default).
If you are up to date and vc4-kms-v3d is not working and vc4-fkms-v3d is, then we should investigate why that is.

It normally is caused by an issue with hotplug or edid of the display.
Right so, I finally figured out the final piece of this puzzle. I think it's a Kodi bug but basically, here's why it was working with the fkms driver,

Left is raspinfo with fkms, right is kms.  Left shows the only connected HDMI, and shows it as A-1, right shows both HDMI's, and the connected one as A-2.

I can't see find it 100% occurring in the logs, but my gut is Kodi is throwing the output to the first HDMI it sees?  Which, with kms, is the disconnected hdmi.  I'm not at all sure though because as I said, it only happens for some videos.

Main thing is, after adding `hdmi_force_hotplug:1=1` to my config.txt, everything now works perfectly.

Only thing I notice that's different from the logs is
Quote:INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats
INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Using data format AE_FMT_S16NE
INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Using data format AE_FMT_S24NE3 <- with hotplug
Quote:INFO <general>: GUI format 1920x1080, Display 1920x1080i @ 60.000000 Hz
INFO <general>: GUI format 1920x1080, Display 1920x1080 @ 60.000000 Hz <- with hotplug
and
Quote:2023-06-27 16:54:15.393 T:682      INFO <general>: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080i @ 59.940063 Hz (20) (weight: 1080.000)
2023-06-27 16:58:40.824 T:124      INFO <general>: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080 @ 23.976025 Hz (27) (weight: 0.000) <- with hotplug
Tbc, this makes no difference to me watching, but when looking for a red flag in the logs, they're the only things that stood out.

Once again, many many thanks for all the help and support received.
If force_hotplug makes a difference you should check your hdmi cable.
It is likely faulty and not connecting the hotplug line (pin 19).

The HDMI spec says you can only read the edid (which describes the audio and video modes supported by the display)
when hotplug is asserted. The kms driver follows that. The fkms drive is more lax and that may explain the difference in behaviour.
(2023-06-27, 20:04)popcornmix Wrote: If force_hotplug makes a difference you should check your hdmi cable.
It is likely faulty and not connecting the hotplug line (pin 19).

The HDMI spec says you can only read the edid (which describes the audio and video modes supported by the display)
when hotplug is asserted. The kms driver follows that. The fkms drive is more lax and that may explain the difference in behaviour.

I truly, truly, _TRULY_ can't believe it.  Switched out that HDMI cable (which was actually SUPPOSED to be a good quality one I got a while back) with another, and... problem disappeared.  After all this nonsense, I now have Kodi acting perfectly, with all the default settings.

I, once again, can't thank you enough for the help, and patience.  I'm not sure if all my issues were down to the cable, but, it seems to feel a little like that.
in that case i might recommend buying cables from Zeskit in the future - https://zeskit.com
(also available on amazon)

i personally use the Maya cables and they've been completely solid
(2023-06-27, 21:12)jepsizofye Wrote: in that case i might recommend buying cables from Zeskit in the future - https://zeskit.com
(also available on amazon)

i personally use the Maya cables and they've been completely solid
They're not super easy to get here (Ireland), but I went and did a bit of research, to get a few similar quality ones and decided to pick up 2.  One for the Pi - works absolutely completely perfectly - and, now that you guys brought it to my attention, I remember having a display issue with my laptop, its dock, and an external monitor ages ago, that disappeared when I used Display Port instead, and...  that issue completely disappeared too!

It's gas, I thought I had a good collection of HDMI cables, and, I think I did 5+ years ago.  But, whatever the reason, the signal's being a bit fuller now than they were then, or deterioration (I'm close to the sea, and salt in the air has been known to cause weird damage to some things), they're not good quality now.

But I'll say thank you again, cos that's another thing that was just never on my mind at all, the cables themselves.  The OS, weird and wonderful hardware, surges in the electricity... but faulty HDMI cables were never in my head as a troublemaker.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better performance from within docker than apt install on Raspberry Pi OS - RPi4B0