• 27(current)
[New Feature] Movie version
Nice to see this feature being improved, thanks for all the work. Not sure how it's planned to manage extras now when scanning, I mean, until now when using a folder named 'extras' in each movie, you had to create or edit advancedsettings.xml to tell Kodi not to add those media to the library, as if they were normal movies. Needless to say that's too difficult for many users. I think that it would be great if it was the other way round, that by default the folders 'extras' wouldn't be scanned. Thanks!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
@manfeed

There is a setting in Media -> Video called Ignore video extras on scan that is off by default.

What this means is that by default anything in an Extras/extras subfolder will be indentified as an extra and added to the db, however they won't appear as seperate library entries creating clutter in the Library (no longer any need for anything in advancedsetting.xml), and the only way for these Extras to be seen and played is via Extras in the Movie Info dialog. We will look to improve the Extra handling in v22.

If you enable Ignore video extras on scan then previous behavoiur is restored and the extras would be added to the library as if they were normal movies creating potentially lots entries (hence why the setting is off by default).
Good point manfeed. I know what you mean and will take a look. extras are recognized even with the advanced settings exclusion, but the scanner may need some alterations to handle this without special exclusions.
I'll check what the setting mentioned by jjd-uk does.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@CrystalP I did check that although it was probably a week ago so not sure if something in the meantime would have changes anything given the amount of PR's. With Ignore video extras on scan turned on it seemed to be the exact same beavhiour as v20 in that Kodi scans the extras as if they were movie files and mixes then in amongst the valid library movie entries depending on what suprious result the scraper returns, resulting in a load of false clutter, but this was with no advancesettings.xml.
(2024-01-08, 14:34)jjd-uk Wrote: ...by default anything in an Extras/extras subfolder will be identified as an extra and added to the db, however they won't appear as seperate library entries creating clutter in the Library (no longer any need for anything in advancedsetting.xml), and the only way for these Extras to be seen and played is via Extras in the Movie Info dialog...

Taking that into account, now I have another question. For me, an 'extra' is anything related to the movie, additional covers (images), songs belonging to the O.S.T. and so on. I put all that content in the 'extras' folder and with the advancedsetting method I didn't have to worry. What about that with the new option? For instance, those songs, will also be added to the music library and ignored, or what? Thanks!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2024-01-08, 19:14)manfeed Wrote:
(2024-01-08, 14:34)jjd-uk Wrote: ...by default anything in an Extras/extras subfolder will be identified as an extra and added to the db, however they won't appear as seperate library entries creating clutter in the Library (no longer any need for anything in advancedsetting.xml), and the only way for these Extras to be seen and played is via Extras in the Movie Info dialog...

Taking that into account, now I have another question. For me, an 'extra' is anything related to the movie, additional covers (images), songs belonging to the O.S.T. and so on. I put all that content in the 'extras' folder and with the advancedsetting method I didn't have to worry. What about that with the new option? For instance, those songs, will also be added to the music library and ignored, or what? Thanks!
Those songs would only be added to the music library if you include your movie directory as part of your music library.
I have only personally test video content and I would think it's most likely limited to that.
(2024-01-08, 14:34)jjd-uk Wrote: @manfeed

There is a setting in Media -> Video called Ignore video extras on scan that is off by default.

What this means is that by default anything in an Extras/extras subfolder will be indentified as an extra and added to the db, however they won't appear as seperate library entries creating clutter in the Library (no longer any need for anything in advancedsetting.xml), and the only way for these Extras to be seen and played is via Extras in the Movie Info dialog. We will look to improve the Extra handling in v22.

If you enable Ignore video extras on scan then previous behavoiur is restored and the extras would be added to the library as if they were normal movies creating potentially lots entries (hence why the setting is off by default).
It sounds like the name of the setting (or the behavior) is backwards, based on your description (and what manfeed says happens with it checked).  You say it's off by default, so that it won't scan extras into the library.  This sounds like it is "Ignor(ing) video extras on scan" when it is unchecked, ie disabled.  Enabling then does add to the library, as in your last statement...but that's the opposite of "ignore".
I took a look at the code and Ignore video extras on scan does what was written above reasonably. It's safe to remove extras from excludefromscan in advanced settings.
Yes the video scanner will only find video files.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-01-09, 03:28)olevelo Wrote: It sounds like the name of the setting (or the behavior) is backwards, based on your description (and what manfeed says happens with it checked).  You say it's off by default, so that it won't scan extras into the library.  This sounds like it is "Ignor(ing) video extras on scan" when it is unchecked, ie disabled.  Enabling then does add to the library, as in your last statement...but that's the opposite of "ignore".

This is because you're not understanding what I wrote. Although enabling does add the Extra to the library, it will add it as a movie so it's a false positive which you would not want. To try and make it clear, you have for example an extra call "Making of ABC" since it will be in a subfolder of the movie which is within the movie source, the filename will be pass to the selected movie scraper and the scraper will try to indentify it as a movie, if the metedata site (e.g. TMDB) returns a result then the Extra will be added as that movie which is false, so the title you see in the library will not be correct, hence a false positive.
(2024-01-09, 17:29)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2024-01-09, 03:28)olevelo Wrote: It sounds like the name of the setting (or the behavior) is backwards, based on your description (and what manfeed says happens with it checked).  You say it's off by default, so that it won't scan extras into the library.  This sounds like it is "Ignor(ing) video extras on scan" when it is unchecked, ie disabled.  Enabling then does add to the library, as in your last statement...but that's the opposite of "ignore".

This is because you're not understanding what I wrote. Although enabling does add the Extra to the library, it will add it as a movie so it's a false positive which you would not want. To try and make it clear, you have for example an extra call "Making of ABC" since it will be in a subfolder of the movie which is within the movie source, the filename will be pass to the selected movie scraper and the scraper will try to indentify it as a movie, if the metedata site (e.g. TMDB) returns a result then the Extra will be added as that movie which is false, so the title you see in the library will not be correct, hence a false positive.
No, I'm not understanding, and that actually made it more confusing, and I honestly have no idea what it does or is supposed to do now.  However, simply from the name of the setting, "Ignore video extras on scan" should *ignore* any extras the scan finds, and *not* add them to the library.  Your earlier statement "If you enable Ignore video extras on scan then previous behavoiur is restored and the extras would be added to the library as if they were normal movies creating potentially lots entries (hence why the setting is off by default)." says that enabling *ignore* does not ignore but rather adds them.
I just tested KodiSetup-20240108-f6e78bff-master-x64.exe and have a few comments/suggestions on the latest implementation of versioning
  1. In a wall view of the movie posters the bottom left of the poster will show a check mark if the movie was watched.  If the movie was watched and it has extras, it now shows a star in a circle.  There seems to be no icon if the movie is unwatched and it has extras.  I think the Extra's icon should be present no matter what (movie watched or unwatched) and the watched check mark either moves beside the extras icon or move to another corner of the poster.
  2. In a move set the bottom right of the movie poster has icons to show how many movies of the set have been watched.  The same concept for would be nice for movie versions.
  3. A previous version of the version pop-up included the option to select the movie version or any extras.  Now this pop-up only allows selection of the movie version.  The ability to select Extras from this pop-up was very useful.
  4. The addition of selecting a movie version or extras from the Information screen is great.  Some things that would make this even better...
  • From the movie wall, if selecting a movie, have the option to go to:  1) the version selection pop-up (available now);  2) the versions as a folder (available now); 3) the Information screen (not available now).  Why add this 3rd option - because versions can now be selected from the Information screen.
  • In the Information screen, if Extras or Versions aren't available for a movie, the icon's shouldn't be present.  The icons currently allow the management or selection of Versions or Extras.  Management should be done via the Manage... menu item.  These icons should only be to play content if that content is available.  Related to this, selecting the Versions Icon from the Information screen gets to a pop up where a version can be selected (as well as managed).  But because this is the management pop-up, it takes 2 clicks to play the movie: 1) select it  2) select play.  If selecting a version directly from the Movie Wall the pop-up is different.  It's one click on the movie to be played.  That's better.
  • On the Information screen the icon's at the bottom aren't in the most used order. The 1st icon is play.  Makes sense.  If there are versions then that should be the 2nd icon.  If there are extra's then that should be the third icon.  The rest are in fine order.
Thank you for the time and effort to make Kodi even better!!
FYI... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=375736
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Just encountered a minor thing that might be worth looking at.  Tested it on the Jan 8 Nightly.  
If I have a movie with two versions, A [default] and B, and I remove one of the files from storage and clean my library, here's what happens:
If B is removed, the listing for A works as expected and is treated as a movie with no alternate versions.
If A is removed, the listing is removed entirely.  I can then re-scan my library and B will be added back in.

So my question is, should this behavior change?  If the default version of a movie is removed and the library cleaned, should the listing disappear entirely?  Or should one of the other versions present be chosen to be the new default. Maybe just arbitrarily pick one for the sake of keeping the library listing and the user can specify if they want to change it on their own later.

When there's only two versions, it's not really an issue, but if someone has like five versions of a movie and removes only the default version and cleans their library, they then have to re-do the versioning for what's left as it is now.
per that wiki
Quote:-Blade Runner (1982) - US Theatrical Cut [dvd] (parent movie; default movie)
|- Blade Runner (1982) - Directors Cut [dvd] (child version)
|- Blade Runner (1982) - Intl Theatrical Cut [dvd] (child version)
|- Blade Runner (1982) - The Final Cut [bluray] (child version)
|- Blade Runner (1982) - The Final Cut [dvd] (child version)
using the parent child relationship, if only parent.. just play that.
if children, parent basically is a shell... and prompts if there are multiple children to know which to pick. unless someone explicitly set 'default' option for said child (or assume first child?).
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Movie version1