Anyone Try 2.5 Gbps Ethernet Adapter in Box w/USB3.0?
I recently upgraded my Synology NAS, desktop PC network card, switch & ethernet cables to 10Gbe. Moving large files between my desktop & Synology is blazing fast vs. the 1Gbe I had for over a decade. So, got me thinking, as there are no media players w/2.5Gbe, let alone 10Gbe, could I get a 2.5Gbe ethernet adapter like this, attach to a media player w/USB3.0 and even better local streaming speeds? Realize 1Gbe is more than enough for even the highest bitrate UHD rips, but just curious if this could work.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2024-01-29, 03:00)hdmkv Wrote: I recently upgraded my Synology NAS, desktop PC network card, switch & ethernet cables to 10Gbe. Moving large files between my desktop & Synology is blazing fast vs. the 1Gbe I had for over a decade. So, got me thinking, as there are no media players w/2.5Gbe, let alone 10Gbe, could I get a 2.5Gbe ethernet adapter like this, attach to a media player w/USB3.0 and even better local streaming speeds? Realize 1Gbe is more than enough for even the highest bitrate UHD rips, but just curious if this could work.

You won't get any improvement in video playback (as nothing in the wild is >900Mbs - GigE tops out at about 940Mbs) - but if you are transferring files between devices using your Kodi hardware then it might be worth it.  I've had no major issues with a Pi 4B and a 2.5GbE USB connection - I think the drivers have been in Linux for a while so anything running a modern kernel should be reasonably well supported?
Good to know, thanks. Was wondering if the overhead 2.5GbE provides would help, but you're right about GigE's having plenty of overhead already for any streaming.
I was playing with a NUC 11 Pro with 2.5GBE last night. Library scanning was definitely faster, I think that’s about all you’d get over 1GBE. (the NUC also has a NVME 4 SSD which are incredibly fast).

I’ve been using 10 and 2.5 GBE in my ‘office’ at home. Two Synology NAS with 10GBE and my PC with 10GBE, 2.5GBE to my central network hub, then 1GBE spurs off to other rooms and devices. 10GBE great for file transfers but my both my NAS max out at around 280MB per sec per volume.
I get near 10GbE speeds doing file transfers between my PC & Synology, and it has been a game changer. Now I want everything to be 10GbE Tongue.
(2024-01-31, 22:34)hdmkv Wrote: I get near 10GbE speeds doing file transfers between my PC & Synology, and it has been a game changer. Now I want everything to be 10GbE Tongue.

Yep - I put fibre into my house when we moved in a couple of years ago. 10GbE networking around the house is great - and it lets me get the 1.2Gbs broadband connectivity my ISP provides rather than capping at GigE (~940Mbs) speeds.

Second hand Mellanox SFP+ NICs and Mikrotik SFP+ switches are a great fit - and SFP+ fibre modules aren't hugely expensive these days.
SFP+ cables are pricier than cat6a or 8, especially long-runs. I got a QNAP QSW-308S 10GbE Switch, attached two 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 transceivers, bought & ran cheap 50ft cat8 cables and all worked great. Plus 10GbE switches for my PC & Synology. A little pricey all totaled, but worth it.
(2024-02-03, 00:44)hdmkv Wrote: SFP+ cables are pricier than cat6a or 8, especially long-runs. I got a QNAP QSW-308S 10GbE Switch, attached two 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 transceivers, bought & ran cheap 50ft cat8 cables and all worked great. Plus 10GbE switches for my PC & Synology. A little pricey all totaled, but worth it.

SFP+ cables?  Do you mean DACs?  I only use very short ones of those for connecting switch to switch when they are next to each other (and yes they cost more than a short Cat 5/6 patch cable - but if you add the cost of two SFP+ 10GbE RJ45 modules, and the heat dissipation, I prefer DACs for short hops - though compatibility can be an issue with some switches).  

For longer runs I use SFP+ fibre modules and fibre cable.  I've got 6 x single-mode core cables (similar in form factor to regular coax) running between rooms at home - each can either carry BiDi duplex (more expensive SFP+ modules) or you pair two cores to use cheaper SFP+ modules. (Multimode stuff is a bit cheaper - but it was easier to find robust single-mode cable to run).  Helpfully they can also carry RF-over-Fibre signals so I can route satellite/OTA/Radio over them easily too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone Try 2.5 Gbps Ethernet Adapter in Box w/USB3.0?0