• 32(current)
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024
(2024-08-05, 02:24)hdmkv Wrote: Cube 3 is good option if you want decent Kodi performance with MEL Dolby Vision + HD audio + premium apps. I like it better than Shield TV.

Thanks for that information.
(2024-07-30, 18:46)hdmkv Wrote: @coreelec, can't thank you guys enough, especially @Portisch on the 3D work 🙏🙌! I have a Dune HD, and had a Zidoo previously, but the convenience of having full 3D + TV-led DL DV + HD audio all in the same player is the holy grail.

@faust1103, with my 2x Ugoos units w/CE, I leave them on all the time. Screen dims, which I assume is sleep or hibernation, and pressing any button on my paired Fire TV Bluetooth remotes wake them up. If there's a more elegant solution, I'd love to know Smile.

I don't know if you have a server or not, but keeping the Ugoos on all time, does it constantly connect to your server? I do have a server and after an hour of no use the drives go to sleep.

I am also curious to know if you have a cube gen2 and if you can comment about the performance vs the ugoos.

Thanks
I do. A Synology & a QNAP NAS. Ugoos/CE doesn't constantly connect because I can hear the drives spin up when I try to access content or do a library scan.

I have a Fire Cube gen2, but unfortunately its firmware was later than the PS7292/2984 or older needed for root, so never got to try CE on it.
(2024-08-05, 18:12)Edworld Wrote: I am also curious to know if you have a cube gen2 and if you can comment about the performance vs the ugoos.

Thanks

I own both a bootloader unlocked Cube 2 and the Ugoos.

The Cube is the same chipset with 1GB less RAM and a single USB 2 port. The RAM part doesn't really matter for CoreELEC. The single USB port is a limitation but it can get 450mbs on WiFi 6 or ~300mbps on a wired USB ethernet adapter. Both of those speeds are plenty for even the most bitrate dense UHD rips out there today.  You can move CE's storage to the Cube's flash drive so once you do that, performance is comparable. It can play anything the Ugoos can play. 

There are some quirks with the Cube 2 that make the Ugoos more appealing. The Ugoos can be powered on and off remotely. So far, only powering off works with the Cube, it cannot be powered on remotely.  There are also some quirks with the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers for the Cube that cause occasional lockups during boot. The person that runs the XDA thread for the Cube has provided startup and shutdown scripts which help limit this. 

If you are patient and find a cheap new in box Cube on eBay, it's a fun device to use if you don't mind tinkering. If you just want stuff to work with the least amount of fuss possible, spend the extra on the Ugoos. The latter assumes you have another device if you actually care about online streaming services because the Ugoos is not good for that. It requires dual booting but the Cube 2 can do both - it is the only device that can do DV7 FEL and has DRM for 4K streaming.
how would you know if the bootloader was locked or not, aren't you gambling with cube 2 on  ebay?
(2024-08-07, 10:25)MediaPi Wrote: how would you know if the bootloader was locked or not, aren't you gambling with cube 2 on  ebay?

unlocking the bootloader requires PS7292 or lower. all new in box cube 2's ship with PS7229 or older. it's all covered in the XDA thread.

as long as pictures are provided it's quite easy to tell if the cube is still new in box. there is a protective tearaway film along the box edge. 

even if not, if the product is advertised as new and unopened and doesn't arrive that way, you return it for a refund. a seller marking an item as "no refunds" isn't valid if the item does not arrive as advertised. you just need to be sure it states it is new and unopened with no caveats about the condition.

i paid $65 for mine. i have seen them go for less.
Is there actually a chance to get kodi to support MVC decoding without using SoC/hardware support ? AFAIK both CE and OSMC do rely on SoC/firmware decoding of MVC - or am i wrong on that ?

I am asking, because with 3D glasses, you could decode MVC to FSBS without any further HW support (frame packing) needed by the OS, aka: Kodi on Android Phones plus 3D glasses. 

Is there a known open source mvc decoder library ?

Or is this even in the presence of software mvc decoder library still the issue that it would have to play nicely with ffmpeg in a way that can't be upstreamed and can thus only go into some "platform" build... ?
Found this thread on doom9 about a free s/w decoder. Doesn't look like it has been updated in a while, or any idea if it would work within Kodi. H/w decoding is preferable I think for rendering quality... best I've experienced is Intel, followed by Realtek, then Sigma, and finally AmLogic.
(2024-07-31, 05:45)Chang Wrote: Just for my curiosity, what does the Ugoos AM6B+ better than the Vero V?

Ugoos AM6B+ with CoreElec is often wrongly mentioned as only option for playing DV P7 FEL. Truth is that AM6B+ can play DV P7 FEL (and all other DV formats) also in Android with Maven's Kodi Omega Builds für Android 32bit. (I use build 21.0 (21.0.1) Git 20240729 from here)

That said, and considering hardware dis/advantages it's up to your needs to decide which one is better...
(2024-07-09, 18:57)Roby77 Wrote: I'm testing a version of tvquickaction pro that adds afr for all app (like prime and Disney )

I love my homatich much more now Smile

*Are you still happy with tvquickaction pro 
*Once it's setup, does the afr work automatically

Thanks
Setup: LG OLED65B7 | Onkyo TX-RZ50 | OPPO UDP-203 4K Blu-Ray player | Nvidia Shield TV | Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus | KEF T205
My Favourite Skin: Arctic Horizon 2
(2024-08-09, 19:19)Sholander Wrote:
(2024-07-31, 05:45)Chang Wrote: Just for my curiosity, what does the Ugoos AM6B+ better than the Vero V?

Ugoos AM6B+ with CoreElec is often wrongly mentioned as only option for playing DV P7 FEL. Truth is that AM6B+ can play DV P7 FEL (and all other DV formats) also in Android with Maven's Kodi Omega Builds für Android 32bit. (I use build 21.0 (21.0.1) Git 20240729 from here)

That said, and considering hardware dis/advantages it's up to your needs to decide which one is better...

This is the first I am hearing of this. Can anyone comment on what the Maven builds are or direct me to more discussion of them? I've seen kodinerds mentioned but I am not sure what they are / why they exist. From what I gather from minimal searching it provided DV support before Kodi officially did?

If the above statement is true, I am curious if DV P7 FEL would also work on the Cube 2 in (Fire OS) Android too.
(2024-08-09, 19:57)Blurayx Wrote:
(2024-07-09, 18:57)Roby77 Wrote: I'm testing a version of tvquickaction pro that adds afr for all app (like prime and Disney )

I love my homatich much more now Smile

*Are you still happy with tvquickaction pro 
*Once it's setup, does the afr work automatically

Thanks

Yes I use it for prime video and Disney + on homatics with atv12 firmware 5394

https://tvdevinfo.com/tvquickactions/how...click_afr/
(2024-08-10, 02:52)signde Wrote:
(2024-08-09, 19:19)Sholander Wrote:

This is the first I am hearing of this. Can anyone comment on what the Maven builds are or direct me to more discussion of them? I've seen kodinerds mentioned but I am not sure what they are / why they exist. From what I gather from minimal searching it provided DV support before Kodi officially did?

If the above statement is true, I am curious if DV P7 FEL would also work on the Cube 2 in (Fire OS) Android too.

Why would I lie about it? FEL on AM6B+  worked for me since @quietvoid builds. After his code was merged in oficial Omega I swithed to Maven's Kodi Omega, because he also builds special versions for my FireTV sticks. 
You can find aditional info about these builds on Kodinerds forum.
(2024-08-10, 11:20)Sholander Wrote:
(2024-08-10, 02:52)signde Wrote:
(2024-08-09, 19:19)Sholander Wrote: Ugoos AM6B+ with CoreElec is often wrongly mentioned as only option for playing DV P7 FEL. Truth is that AM6B+ can play DV P7 FEL (and all other DV formats) also in Android with Maven's Kodi Omega Builds für Android 32bit. (I use build 21.0 (21.0.1) Git 20240729 from here)

Why would I lie about it? FEL on AM6B+  worked for me since @quietvoid builds. After his code was merged in oficial Omega I swithed to Maven's Kodi Omega, because he also builds special versions for my FireTV sticks. 
Wasn't doubting you very much but it's not unusual for someone on a forum to say something and someone else come along and correct them, especially when it's something this obscure that isn't usually discussed.

I have tried the Maven kodinerds v21 20240810 build for Android on my Cube 2 in Fire OS. A DV P7 file with no FEL plays and triggers DV on my LG G3, so that is something. Files with DV P7 FEL do not play correctly though. They trigger the DV logo but the colors are wrong. I have two test files for validating FEL, one CMV 2.9 and the other CMV 4.0. Both play back perfectly on this device in CoreElec. With this maven build, I again get the DV logo but the rendering is not correct, I can't see the text which indicates FEL is working.

I also tried the v21 build specifically for firetv, again same result but I expected that. 

I wonder if the hooks in this build that allow FEL to work on Android key off the device rather than the chipset. The Cube 2 is the same as the Ugoos there. I would think there has to be something going on to allow this to work as FEL requires simultaneous stream decoding which is a reason many other players can't handle it.

It's a bit difficult for me to peruse Kodinerds forum because it's mostly in German and I'm just a dumb American. I did see one mention of FEL, which I believe was by you, with a link to the popular spreadsheet which omits mentioning the Cube 2 as a supported FEL player.
(2024-08-10, 19:48)signde Wrote:
(2024-08-10, 11:20)Sholander Wrote:
(2024-08-10, 02:52)signde Wrote: This is the first I am hearing of this. Can anyone comment on what the Maven builds are or direct me to more discussion of them? I've seen kodinerds mentioned but I am not sure what they are / why they exist. From what I gather from minimal searching it provided DV support before Kodi officially did?

I have tried the Maven kodinerds v21 20240810 build for Android on my Cube 2 in Fire OS. A DV P7 file with no FEL plays and triggers DV on my LG G3, so that is something. Files with DV P7 FEL do not play correctly though. They trigger the DV logo but the colors are wrong. I have two test files for validating FEL, one CMV 2.9 and the other CMV 4.0. Both play back perfectly on this device in CoreElec. With this maven build, I again get the DV logo but the rendering is not correct, I can't see the text which indicates FEL is working.

It's a bit difficult for me to peruse Kodinerds forum because it's mostly in German and I'm just a dumb American. I did see one mention of FEL, which I believe was by you, with a link to the popular spreadsheet which omits mentioning the Cube 2 as a supported FEL player.

On my AM6B+ FEL test file "FEL BL_EL.mkv" plays OK. FEL Test CMV 2.9.mp4 plays OK, but same test for CMV 4.0 does not play OK (plays OK in CoreElec)

Since CoreElec enabled P7 FEL on this devices I stopped using Android Kodi for Dolby Vision, but still update it regularly. Don't know about FireOS settings in Cube 2, but there is one option in Kodi Settings/Player that disables P7 FEL - converts it to P8.1. In Setting/System I have Display set to 3,840 x 2,160 at 60 Hz...

I also don't speak German well, but they have an German/English language switch, and in Chrome I use page translator if something is not clear to me...
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Kodi Media Player Options 20240