Guest - Testers are needed for the reworked CDateTime core component. See... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=378981 (September 29) x
  • 53(current)
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024
@hdmkv regarding 905X4 boxes being able to take advantage of this new development

someone asked

These improvement can apply for the sei s905x4 boxes?

answer:
Short answer: it depends, gotta experiment to form an opinion and also to see if it is worth it. Have no inclination positive or negative on it.
Longer answer:
Theoretically it is a single cluster so there is no bumping of processes between clusters. Scheduler is free to put the process anywhere it wants.
However, exposing cache information (size, line-size, sets, etc.) to the userspace would benefit some programs which use _builtin_prefetch if the programmers coded it in such a way.
The kernel would detect the different L1 data and L1 instruction cache by itself and then we would define unified L2 that holds both data and instruction. The kernel would detect the size like it does for S922X. I have not done enough research on 905x4 to say what it could do. Architecturally it is similar to A53 with in-order execution pipeline. Basically lots of ifs, buts, etc.
To make the most out of a A55 core I’d propose using a Latency Aware Virtual Deadline scheduler (LAVD). In that we could utilize memory latency data that benefits “small” sized programs. Once you reach large programs that benefit goes away and CPU is saturated.

Edit
@frodo19 there is potentially a way to find out if cache information helps speed up other boxes. This is an inference exercise mostly. If someone is willing to put the -A53-Cache DTB and report back their findings about speed up compared to CE default we’d have information and then figure out how to make A55 905X4 behave the same way.
Unfortunately I have been so used to the full DTB file that I would be a biased opinion.

If anyone is willing to help out the developer or hdmkv could do some more testing with the developer, we could get an answer 
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s922x-u...d/52692/47
How is the Am6 better than the Homatics R? I thought the Homatics R was the top pick?
quick update, so far everyone that tested have mentioned the performance increase, the developer 
Quote:I have not heard a single complaint about this change yet. I am satisfied with testing performed on this so far.

The change will be submitted as is, including the incorrect cache size. Can always do a PR in the future and revert some dumb mistake I made.
a pull request has been sent

https://github.com/CoreELEC/linux-amlogic/pull/40

I expect this in CoreELEC nightly very soon! so we got to be the first to experience this. so much fun!
feels like in the days when people unlocked cores on their CPU for more performance!

@hdmkv how does this affect the best kodi box list? this speed boost has really made me not even look at the Homatics Box R Plus, unless you need specific stuff that box does, this value proposition of the AMB6+ is awesome!

this feels to me is the next Odoid N2+, it will be the king for the next 5 years!
(2024-09-25, 23:59)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-09-25, 23:23)MediaPi Wrote: Also my Odroid N2+ has also gotten DV lol. this is crazy.
Whoa, wait! N2+ can DV now?! FEL too? Gotta do some catching up on CE forum.

The DV implementation on the N2+ is a little bit hacky - they are using the OSD to burn in the DV metadata at the top of frame (which is where it is carried).
I sold my N2+ a while ago. Would love to add it to the list/ranking in post #1 if you or anyone can comment on the DV + any performance tweaks. Guessing it would rank #2 under 'Best Pure Kodi Media Players' as it's also powered by S922X, after AM6B+?

(2024-09-26, 09:40)nowwhereman Wrote: How is the Am6 better than the Homatics R? I thought the Homatics R was the top pick?
AM6B+ is better if your use case is local media playback. If it's a mix of that + streaming apps (Netflix, Prime, D+, etc.), then Homatics is the current top pick, sacrificing some on speed/performance vs. AM6B+.

(2024-09-26, 09:47)MediaPi Wrote: @hdmkv how does this affect the best kodi box list? this speed boost has really made me not even look at the Homatics Box R Plus, unless you need specific stuff that box does, this value proposition of the AMB6+ is awesome!
No changes as I tried to make the 'best' list in post #1 based on needs, use cases. If y'all feel the ranking needs adjusting, please LMK.
the prices for an odroid are a joke 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296459252394?...BMqr7t5cVk

this isn't even the + version, has no charger and only 2GB RAm for £80, what a joke. I paid something like £90 with 16GB, USB EMMC reader, charger 4GB ram like 4 years ago.

here is a comparison between the two socs
https://gadgetversus.com/processor/amlog...ic-s922xj/

not sure if it's totally correct, it's got the the almost 3 year old hardware beating the newer revision. the base clock of the GPU is lower and the boost is higher.
Also it's no hack to get the Dolby Vision working on the AMB6+ , whereas you might have some compromises with the none J version.
also you mentioned you can get the AMB6+ for around $106 pre tax (on sales) which works out £95 for the AMB6+, you get the better SOC, you get a brand new box, 32GB EMMC, much better re sell value, whose going to pay for a decade old hardware when you come to sell it.
anyone buying shouldn't consider the N2+, mainly because of one factor. N2+ is korean and AMB6+ is Chinese that is selling on Aliexpress. for that reason we are getting these prices. if Hardkernal was chinese and selling on Aliexpress then it's apples to apples comparisons.

The AMB6+ smacks the N2+ even if it was priced considerably more, now that a brand new AMB6+ cost same or under what it would get for a same spec N2+ means no one should consider N2+

this is only good news to those who kept onto the N2+ (even better if you hanged to an N2), so If you want to add you could just put it at the bottom that the hardware is good but uness it costs significantly cheaper, you should consider the AMB6+ in an aliexpress sale.

I have someone from reddit whose got an N2, and was on the process of getting the Ugoos, I told him N2 can do DV now and the performance boost should actually bring it closer to the AMB6+ before that got the speed bump to. and he has an OLED tv coming , he's going to be doing some tests today on the performance , and I've asked him to report in CoreELEC

I think that's on my mind is that the way it's achieved this performance increase is more noticeable than from going from N2 to N2+, I've had both N2 and + and I didn't really notice that much of a difference in speed. but people are reporting the speed bump from this development is noticeable  

Now one thing that I really wanted you to talk about is how does it now compare to your x96 with the s922x. is their some sort of measurement that could be done to see the difference? is the s928x noticeably snappier still?
this is what I meant about the charts. 25% isn't a small revision, that's like a hardware upgrade nowadays.

I'm really wondering if CoreELEC team can't build on this. it can't be just that the s922x gets the improvements. surely other big little cores get some boost.
I would be hesitant to pull the trigger on a s922x box right now. 

PortischCoreELEC Team had a post

not sure what this means but lots of hints that getting FEL on s928x is a real possibility and it's going to happen like in a few weeks.

If that gets FEL and in future it gets same enhancement that we got with the s922x then wow! anyone no one should be buying a Ugoos right now. no sales for a few weeks anyway
okay this is so cool!
a comment from a new poster I not seen before
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s922x-u.../52692/110
Quote:Have initially tried it using the parameters identified by @YadaYada
Profiling some Python plugins indicates a fairly consistent speed improvement of ~30%
this is using the g12b_w400_a in g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dtb
meaning he's using an N2 or N2+, don't see a reason why they won't get same boost!
Christmas came early! 30% boost! the s922x is already pretty powerful comparing to it's competition, 30% has to put it close to the s928x ? 
with the shell script he made. others can use that to see what improvements they are getting on their hardware "on the fly"
I'm real curious to see what the Ugoos AMB6+ is pulling! Seems like I'll be using the N2+ for another 5 years LOL (don't have a HDR TV)
@hdmkv would love your testing on this
You mean test with a N2/N2+? I don't have one. If you mean, what the CE user suggested in the post you linked, believe that's to apply the performance enhancement MasterKeyxda discovered using command scripts vs. the dtb.img replace method.
MasterKeyxda
1h
For the brave people with S905X4 who don’t mind having a bricked DTB that may not boot
On the fly changes
You can change the cache info for A55 with the templates out there in the kernel tree.
The A55 has an optional per core L2 cache (not shared). Amlogic may have been cheap and not included L2 cache. If there indeed is no L2 cache on 905X4 then why the hell are devices with that chipset priced above $100.
A55 can have a shared L3 cache
A55 DMIPS are equal across all cores
Try at your own risk

MasterKeyxda posted a link, I'll ask what he means if something goes wrong, do we get a bricked device ?
(2024-09-25, 12:04)noggin Wrote: One reason for the confusion is that the drive itself isn't '4K' - it's just that the new UHD BD
Sorry, poor choice of words. I did specify "being able to play UHD 4k disks" which should have been pretty clear to anyone in the industry.

(2024-09-25, 15:39)Sholander Wrote: To get overwhelmingly experience you'd need at least an 65" Oled display
Yes, I currently have an LG 65SJ850T. It has been playing up for a little while now, so it will be the first component I replace soon-ish.
Keeps turning itself off at random times, and in the last month, some artefacts have appeared on the screen and are now permanent. Sometimes I get a twinkling stars effect on the screen.

I'll keep the pc, just to serve up my local content, but now considering just purchasing a box for Kodi and playback, so have started following the hardware threads a bit more closely.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Solid quality TVs can be had for pretty amazing prices/deals lately. I replaced an aging Samsung that only did HDR/HDR10+ with this Hisense 75" for under $900 shipped. Supports all HDR formats... 10, 10+, HLG & DV. To my surprise, even encrypted ATSC3.0 over-the-air TV channels here in the U.S. Have a Ugoos AM6B+ w/CE connected to it to enjoy content with Kodi.

TCL also makes nice 'budget' 4K TVs.
(2024-09-26, 23:40)hdmkv Wrote: Solid quality TVs can be had for pretty amazing prices/deals lately. I replaced an aging Samsung that only did HDR/HDR10+ with this Hisense 75" for under $900 shipped. Supports all HDR formats... 10, 10+, HLG & DV. To my surprise, even encrypted ATSC3.0 over-the-air TV channels here in the U.S. Have a Ugoos AM6B+ w/CE connected to it to enjoy content with Kodi.

TCL also makes nice 'budget' 4K TVs.

Amazing TV!!
How does the AM6+ stackup against the Shield when it comes to speed? Is the 2N faster?
Just my opinion, for Kodi use, namely navigation & how quickly videos start playing after selecting, with the latest performance enhancements being discussed, Ugoos AM6B+ is on par w/Shield TV Pro. But, when it comes to how quickly local library scans complete, easily Shield Pro. I've never had any device that was faster, maybe because I could easily mount shares with Shield Pro & and also because it's still a powerful box by today's standards. Pretty sure mounting shares is also possible w/CE/Kodi, but haven't tried it.
As someone very new to CE, how do I go about installing the .dtb file on AM6B+? I set up SSH but where do I go from here?

Are there any downsides that would warrant the wait for PRs to be merged with nightlies instead?
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Kodi Media Player Options 20240