• 18(current)
Shuttle XS35
Ok I mananged to get a camelot install on to the machine but that's not what I want...I am stuffed if I can get B2 or SVN going.

I have added the svn repo, changes the dist to lucid, done apt-get-update (and indeed and-get-upgrade, anpt-get dist upgrade for good measure).

If I apt-cache policy xbmc:

Installed: 1:9.11-lucid3
Candidate: 2:10.00~svn33778-lucid1
Version table:
2:10.00~svn33778-lucid1 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main i386 Packages
*** 1:9.11-lucid3 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

apt-get update, then
apt-get upgrade:

[email]xbmc@xbmc-XS35:/etc/apt/sources.list[/email].d$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-skin-confluence
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

apt-get install xbmc:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn33778-lucid1) but 1:9.11-lucid3 is to be installed
Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 2:10.00~svn33778-lucid1) but 1:9.11-lucid3 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

So I have to convince ubuntu to get pull in those newer xbmc-data packages don't I?

Ergh, I am way out of my linux depth...heldchen you promised this was the easy way but I can't say I agree....I think the xbmc svn ppa is broken.

I am thinking going back to try another XBMCFreak build...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Ok, update - to get it to work I had to compile from source to get it working. The SVN PPA is broken...

Very basic notes here. I will be updating this as I play with it more over the next few days.

Certainly seems a better way than XBMCLive/Freak so far as all the hardware pretty much works out the box. Netoworking (wired and wireless, sound, remote, suspend/resume etc).

Kudos to all the people up above especially heldchen - lots of useful info in this thread if you dig!!
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
peterbo Wrote:Guys, look at this mail I got from Shuttle Support when asking them why they removed bios 1.09 from their site.

I replied today, asking if I will be able to enable Wireless LAN in bios 1.08 currently on their website. Anyway, it seems that they are aware of some problems with the box.

Mine runs Ubuntu 10.04 directly from a usb stick and boot time takes 70 seconds - the first 40 seconds are spent with a black screen, I am thinking that startup files are copied into RAM. After this, it boots rather quickly. (My usb stick is a Transcend with 32mb/sec read, 12 mb/sec write - artificial numbers of course but the stick boots way faster on my Lenovo V200).
When transferring large files over LAN or Wireless network the box tends to freeze up leaving no other opportunity than to unplug the power coord and re-insert. I have tried pressing the power button for a long time, no dice.

I have a suspicion that the USB ports are USB 1.0 at startup, until an OS is loaded. Therefore I also asked them if there will be an option to enable/disable Legacy USB in bios.

Any news on the status of 1.09? I can't get it from Shuttles website. I have the XS35-704 and can't use wireless LAN. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hutch14 Wrote:Any news on the status of 1.09? I can't get it from Shuttles website. I have the XS35-704 and can't use wireless LAN. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PM me with a place I can put it and I'll give you 1.09.
I'm actually thinking of going back to 1.0.8 - I'm havign all sorts of glithces and it probably *isn't* 1.0.9 Maverick +SVN etc, but just in case I might go back since I don't really need wireless anymore and it doesn't offer anything else.

My install fell in a heap last night - sudden disconnect, hang, had to cold reboot it and then it will no longer boot, I thing the SSD got hosed somehow. I am going to try another.

Big mess, this XS35 - I have yet to find any reliable suspend/resume by remote solution. Beta 3 is almost out the door apparently so that's my next stop, vanilla B3 on one partition and maybe the next Freak on another to compare...
Just did a B3 install. Went very well. Still needed to manually add the network driver, but 5.1 sound works out of the box by setting it to HDA NVidia HDMI.

I had to update lirc because I have a funky remote receiver but most people won't need to do that.

Had to add USB0 to /proc/acpi/wakeup and suspend/resume by remote actually works using VGA and I will try with HDMI very soon but I think it's going to be Ok.

I still notice when the XBMC UI is set to 60hz that my TV reports 1080i input so I think it's setting it to 30hz instead, but 50hz is smooth and reports 1080p. I suspect an xorg.conf would sort that out.

Playback seems fine so far - interesting, compared to maverick/freak installs, the video and UI is distinctly darker, almost as if the new NVidia drivers detect 16-235 levels and send the appropriate signal whereas the older drivers don't??

So for most I would recommend it - the only vaguely tricky bit is the network install but jsut download it and compile it and it's very easy (see heldchen's post well back in this thred) - and you get sound, remote, and with a very simple change, suspend/resume out of the box.
Hi bossanova808

I have experienced the sudden hangs too, although I was running Lucid. I upgraded to Maverick (kernel 2.6.35-22) two days ago and it has not been hanging since - let's hope it stays that way. The hangs mostly occurred when transferring large files to an external usb drive or unpacking them from e.g. zip or rar.

Two questions:

1. Where in XBMC do you configure the hz rate?

2. Have you tried resuming/booting the box via a magic network packet or through an infra red receiver?

I have connected an HP infra red receiver from ebay to my XS35 and even though I cat every USBx port into /proc/acpi/wakeup it will not wake up the box from suspend. I can see it registers my remote's signals though, as the red light flashes when pressing buttons on the remote.

Does it have to be some kind of special infra red code/signal for it to wake?

Btw, your website is frequently giving me a message saying that it could not connect to database. A bit of a pity as I like to read your posts Smile
Yeah sorry folks the site is on a free host and they absolutely suck. I'll have to move it sometime soon.

You configure the Hz rate for the UI in the system->settings->um I forget bit. It's in there, same screen you set the resolution on.

The suspend/resume via IR remote is working perfectly with B3. I have not tried WOL/magic packets, I don't really have a use for them and have never used them, sorry.
I've moved the blog to blogger so no more database errors...Google kinda know what they're doing...
I just got this reply from Shuttle support regarding Wake on LAN:

Quote:Dear Shuttle customer,

XS35 series does not support WOL function. Please excuse your
inconvenience!

Please don't hesitate to contact us, if you have any other questions.

---
Best Regards
Shuttle Support

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a disappointment, especially since the shuttle.eu site used to state
"Supports S3 Wake-on-LAN (WOL) feature" (google cache)
What? No WOL? It was in specifications when I bought my XS35GT, and although I don't currently need it, I was counting on the fact it will work when I'll need it. Unfortunately I can't test it, as I'm unloading JME module when my system suspends. Can anyone with XS35GT test WOL and confirm this?
froggit Wrote:I've got BIOS 1.09, if you have somewhere I can copy it? It's 1.5MB

I've just bought the XS35T and am having a major headache getting it to recognize the wlan card. I understand from your posts that this is an issue with it being powered off by default...

Is there an easy way to power it on?

Alternatively, would you mind sending me the 1.0.9 bios, please?

Cheers

Tom
for windows, shuttle has included a tool to power on the wlan card. for linux, you really need the new bios.
Yeah, I'm struggling with the latest Ubuntu release.

It's not helped that I've only been using Linux for a combined total of 2 hours now.
I just got mine on Friday and initially installed the LiveCD not knowing that wireless can only be activated via a Windows tool when staying with the official bios. I ended up installing Windows 7 Ultimate + xbmc. This combination works in most cases, but I already had a Windows crashdump related to the ion drivers delivered with the device. There should be new beta drivers out, but hadn't time to test them.

Regards,

Foo

//Update//

as the official Nvidia drivers currently don't recognize this device and refuse to install, I decided to do an clean Windows 7 installation. This time only used the drivers from the Shuttle page, nothing from the DVD delivered with the device. As far as I can tell everything work smoothly and no more BSODs Smile
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354