• 27(current)
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips?
Nice idea, will try some of them
I've also ordered the Pandaboard this month and it should arrive in mid January (moved from early January). Are there any other developers beside topfs2 who seems to have received the Pandaboard already?
I'm a developer myself but I don't have to deal with C/Cpp/Asm instead I work with Java, C#, Delphi as well as Databases so I might not able to help out much once I get my Pandaboard. Last time I actually did some C/Cpp programming was ~5 years ago. The only thing where I can help is testing since I've also some other private projects I need to push to finally get a new release out of the door.

From what I read the Beagleboard (plus the -xM) and also the Pandaboard offer the TI C64x+ DSP for video decoding. This seems to be better supported by Linux every month (TI's bridge driver). What I don't know is if xbmc is already able to use it for the decoding of video streams. Is TI's OpenMax IL used?

Overall I'm very impressed by the progress I've seen over the last couple of month on the ARM platform. Great work guys!
My pandaboard is here. I am getting it Monday. So excited!
Got my pandaboard yesterday!

yay Smile

Now, it would be awesome to share .img of the system with xbmc running.

Cheers...
Djape Wrote:Got my pandaboard yesterday!
yay Smile
Cheers...
Congratulations! I'm not that lucky with my order.

Mine has beend delayed last week to the 22nd February (first delivery date was 6th January, second was 13th January). Sad
Update on the order: Since 7th January I no longer have a delivery date...will ask DigiKey for a new date. Sad

I wonder what happened. It almost looks like a new revision will be produced otherwise this 5 week delay can't be explained. So far I've not seen any comments that stated another revision.
If someone starts ordering now the expected delivery date is 24th May 2011.
Update on the producing company: On the other hand the company producing the boards seems to be small and is also producing the Beagleboards as well as the Pandora OpenSource Handheld (http://www.openpandora.org/)
Djape Wrote:Got my pandaboard yesterday!

yay Smile

Cheers...

Wont share images until its running good and such. Its just plain ubuntu though, you can make it quite easily via rootstock (or just use the netbook image).
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
@xmarsx sorry to hear that.

@topfs2
Sounds reasonable.
I've installed ubuntu but I'm having problem with GPU drivers/acceleration on the ubuntu itself.
So I thought you most probably solved that.
I know that xbmc still doesn't use acceleration of the pandaboard gpu.

Anyway, fingers crossed and keep up the great work Wink
Djape Wrote:@xmarsx sorry to hear that.

@topfs2
Sounds reasonable.
I've installed ubuntu but I'm having problem with GPU drivers/acceleration on the ubuntu itself.
So I thought you most probably solved that.
I know that xbmc still doesn't use acceleration of the pandaboard gpu.

Anyway, fingers crossed and keep up the great work Wink

xbmc uses gles so it uses the pandaboard gpu. It does not use openmax or ivahd so it does not do hw accel on video playback, not sure if that was what you meant?

Installing gpu drivers and such is just install ti-omap4-extras (or what the package is). note that it does not provide headers so you need to compile with mesa headers, which is in conflict with drivers. So both cant be installed at the same time, so you need to uninstall drivers to compile and install it again when running. They are working on it but its a mess atm.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:xbmc uses gles so it uses the pandaboard gpu. It does not use openmax or ivahd so it does not do hw accel on video playback, not sure if that was what you meant?

Installing gpu drivers and such is just install ti-omap4-extras (or what the package is). note that it does not provide headers so you need to compile with mesa headers, which is in conflict with drivers. So both cant be installed at the same time, so you need to uninstall drivers to compile and install it again when running. They are working on it but its a mess atm.

bit off topic but is the openmax api supported by omap 4? i know the api is available for openmax but whatt about omap's iva dsp engine? is that available also or do you have to buy TI's IDE to get it?
slicemaster Wrote:bit off topic but is the openmax api supported by omap 4? i know the api is available for openmax but whatt about omap's iva dsp engine? is that available also or do you have to buy TI's IDE to get it?

yes its available, Im working on getting it to work

PandaBoard in 1680x1050 does about 25 fps for me currently, which is not to shabby. The drivers are still rather new so improvments will obviously happen from them. I'm looking into if I can make it faster atm and after that I will continue to openmax. Playing videos is at about 20fps with our yuv-rgb shaders, which generally make any embedded system crumble. Hopefully I will get some more speed so that the GUI looks fluid, I will then post a video of it running Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

Star 
well, I am genuinely intrigued with the working "production" ARM port of XBMC to iOS Apple TV 2 but i was wondering if any of the progress they've mad will make its way into the Linux arm port...Does anyone know how they're implementing their hardware decode? My guess is they're utilizing some proprietary iOS crap but i would be interested in knowing what type benefit this might translate to for the Linux arm port. also, any progress on the hardware decode under Linux?

Cheers,
Slice
slicemaster Wrote:well, I am genuinely intrigued with the working "production" ARM port of XBMC to iOS Apple TV 2 but i was wondering if any of the progress they've mad will make its way into the Linux arm port...Does anyone know how they're implementing their hardware decode? My guess is they're utilizing some proprietary iOS crap but i would be interested in knowing what type benefit this might translate to for the Linux arm port. also, any progress on the hardware decode under Linux?

Cheers,
Slice

It is using propriary stuff but yes there are multiple benefits linux will gain from the iOS port. Mostly crosscompilation fixes and build fixes, also stuff like ways to almost remove the dependency for SDL (which I have isolated and tested on panda and added the extra stuff needed to remove SDL on arm linux).

Is there an actual distro for ATV2? (or any A4 based device). I haven't found anything on a cursory googling.
Hey Scott,

Was wondering if you could tell us a bit of the story behind the story?

Did somebody slip you a USB stick of top secret Apple source code? Just wondering if there's a good story about how this came about.

coreyinoz

/still have my ATV1 + CHD thanks to your earlier developments but watching this keenly, hehe
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips?7