• 32(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
I've deleted the entire lot of that recent back-and-forth that turned personal, except for a tiny few that weren't personal and/or had some actual information and was on-topic. Don't feel insulted if your post was just deleted. Everyone is going to take a breather now and just stop and calm down.

A warning: DO NOT resume the previous conversation direction. I don't care who was right or wrong, who had a point or not, or whatever. Keep on topic.
thank you Ned Scott! Smile
Thanks Eskro for your contribution
Well, all the bits arrived and the build is 95% done and in place - just some software to configure. I've been taking pictures and will start a build thread shortly. Thanks all Smile
nikc0069 Wrote:Well, all the bits arrived and the build is 95% done and in place - just some software to configure. I've been taking pictures and will start a build thread shortly. Thanks all Smile
congratulation and it's time to enjoy 1080p!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Jetster Wrote:Thanks Eskro for your contribution

no problem
bluray Wrote:congratulation and it's time to enjoy 1080p!

So having had it working for one day, it turns out the power board was faulty and the damn thing wouldn't turn on. Took the switch apart, etc until I finally started getting shocks off the case.

Anyway, ordered a much less pretty case but one that will work hopefully. Should be here today or tomorrow.

This new case has a 3.5 inch bay spare - anyone know of any vfd/lcd bay inserts for a 3.5inch bay that won't break the bank?
Any particular reason not to go with the GT520 instead of the GT430? The price is about the same but the GT520 can be had in a low profile fanless card, where-as all of the low profile GT430s have active cooling.

As far as I know the graphics performance between the two is close to a wash, and I believe the GT520 also supports HD audio now.
difference is if you use LiveTV 1080i content,,,
GT430 is then recommanded as it has more Stream Cores which
helps with interlaced content,,,,

if not, GT520 is a good HTPC card just like the GT430
eskro Wrote:difference is if you use LiveTV 1080i content,,,
GT430 is then recommanded as it has more Stream Cores which
helps with interlaced content,,,,

if not, GT520 is a good HTPC card just like the GT430

I don't watch any 1080i content I am aware of. Is LiveTV a streaming service? How does the GT520 or lower end Radeon cards do with 1080i content that's on BD disc?
Taking the plunge and building a HTPC after lurking here for a few weeks.. besides probably being more powerful than needed, do you see any issues I might have with this build? I think I modeled it after a very similar one I've seen here before, but I've read so many threads I can't keep track.

CASE/PSU - APEX MI-100 Black / Mirror finish Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
MOBO - Intel BOXDH67CFB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX
CPU - Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 35W
GPU - SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
RAM - Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067
HD - Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Fan - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan
hi HobbesGTS, best to create your own thread,
you receive proper/better help that way, thx Smile
voip-ninja Wrote:I don't watch any 1080i content I am aware of. Is LiveTV a streaming service? How does the GT520 or lower end Radeon cards do with 1080i content that's on BD disc?

LiveTV = using your HTPC as a DVR....

if you record HD shows, a good chance that they'll be in 1080i

as long as your GPU card has lets say 96 Stream Cores,
you shouldnt have a problem with 1080i content,,

Hence why the GT430 is better here then the GT520,
its got twice the stream cores!
Hi eskro,

What happened to all the other builds such as the AMD ones?

In the first post I am only seeing celeron and i3 builds.
hi aptalca, i removed them, not because their not good,
but because currently, as of today, INTEL builds are priced well
and are slightly more powerful while having a great price point!

i was really looking forward to place AMD builds again,
mainly, i was waiting on first impressions about those new APU's from AMD!
however, initial testing in 'htpc' environment didn't prove anything conclusive yet,,,

im still waiting on more testing from members,,,,,
complaint so far about them is the poor ATI CCC software...
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36