how to disable volume control in xbmc
I recently updated xbmc to version pre-11.0. I found that its volume control also responds to MCE remote. It is not the case in previous versions, which only links to "+" or "-" short-cut key. I want to use MCE remote to control the system volume only, and leave the XBMC volume to the largest. Anybody knows how to disable the volume responding to MCE reomote control in XBMC?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
That's odd, I can't think of any reason why the remote control should have changed from Dharma. You don't say what OS you are using. Can you run XBMC, press the volume up and down a few times, then pop a debug log on pastebin.com so I can see what the remote is sending to XBMC.

Actually, if you're using Windows I can think of one possibility. Some Windows remotes will send a multimedia keypress when you press the volume keys. I think Dharma/Windows ignores these keypresses while the recent nightly builds recognise them and use them to control the volume. If this is the case the debug log will prove it.

You could try editing C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml and delete the three lines:

Code:
<volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
<volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
<volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>

These are the mappings that determine how XBMC responds to multimedia keypresses.

JR
Applogies for that. I am using windows7 ultimate x64 version.

Many thanks. Your suggested solution worked. Now XBMC doesn't respond to my MCE remote control.
And there was me thinking it was pretty cool to get the multimedia keys working. I guess you just can't please everyone :-)

On this subject, am I really the only person in the multiverse who thinks that, when in XBMC, the remote should control the XBMC volume and not the Windows volume?

JR
i think it should control xbmc.

however i use the volume on my receiver/tv and would prefer xbmc ignore the volume keys since i remap them to use the tv/receiver volume. in fact i wish there was a global option in xbmc to ignore all multimedia keys.
opensauce Wrote:in fact i wish there was a global option in xbmc to ignore all multimedia keys.

If you use a nightly build you just need to delete the multimedia key mappings from keyboard.xml. I've even reorganised keyboard.xml so all the multimedia key mappings are together, so they're easy to delete.

NB if you use Windows your system may still generate APPCOMMAND messages when you press a multimedia key, and there's no way to disable these yet (I think there is a way to stop Windows from generating these APPCOMMAND messages, but I've been unable to find it). Next on my list of cunning plans is to make APPCOMMAND messages mappable, just like keystrokes.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:On this subject, am I really the only person in the multiverse who thinks that, when in XBMC, the remote should control the XBMC volume and not the Windows volume?

Don't forget that when using passthrough you can't control the volume with XBMC anyway.
IMHO, Volume should always be controlled by the audio sink, not the audio source.

XBMC AND the OS should always be at Max volume. (Especially since you can't control it for passthrough) your TV or Receiver should be where it gets controlled from.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to disable volume control in xbmc0