Need help updating library
Question 
Hi,

I use Ember + different image website to create info, fanart and such on for all my movies + tv show, I really need a foolproof guide on how to get XBMC to display this information without updating and thus downloading nfo, pictures from the different scrabers.

Could someone please make a walkthrough including all the settings I need no put under videos -> Content/Source??

The reason for this post is that last time I reinstalled XBMC and tried adding my files, XBMC downloaded and replaced hours and hours of work I put into downloading special poster, pictures and so on, I just finished updating all my movies and I really don't want this happening again.

So I'm hoping for lots of feedback from you guys :-)
another question, when XBMC writes "Downloading Movie Information" does it then mean that XBMC are downloading fron the online scrabers, or can it also mean XBMC is updating from my folders?
How does Ember store this information ?
In general, if you have a file Moviename.avi, you would want Moviename.tbn as the poster, Moviename-fanart.jpg as the Fanart and Moviename.nfo as an XML file containing the information you've collected. With all this in place, and you chose update library, XBMC should pop up with information saying that locally stored information has been found, and you chose whether or or not to ignore this information and use the configured scrapers instead.
KOROR Wrote:another question, when XBMC writes "Downloading Movie Information" does it then mean that XBMC are downloading fron the online scrabers, or can it also mean XBMC is updating from my folders?

It can mean XBMC is reading local data
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Ember does store nfo (HTML), poster, fanart and so on, but I've never seen XBMC advice that "locally stored information" has been found :-(

Can anyone advice how I can make absolutely sure that all my hard work is not replaced with scared "stuff"?
KOROR Wrote:Ember does store nfo (HTML), poster, fanart and so on, but I've never seen XBMC advice that "locally stored information" has been found :-(

Can anyone advice how I can make absolutely sure that all my hard work is not replaced with scared "stuff"?

If you open up the .nfo file it's actually the XML metadata not HTML (yeah, I'm being anal as they look similar).

I use Ember too. If you want to test it, edit a movie title in Ember, save the data. Then reload the library in XBMC and your new movie title will show up. Simple as that. If it was remotely scraping then it would ignore it.

Maybe there's an easier way to see it if you turn on debugging?
KOROR Wrote:but I've never seen XBMC advice that "locally stored information" has been found :-(

You will only get this question if you refresh a movie from movie info that is already in your library

KOROR Wrote:Can anyone advice how I can make absolutely sure that all my hard work is not replaced with scared "stuff"?

I'm not sure how you managed that because if local artwork and nfo are found then that gets used the only thing it will download is actor thumbs unless you disable it, XBMC will always say "Downloading Movie Information" even if its only using local

In any case it would have only replaced the cached artwork anyway so you could have just rebuilt your library if you already had local artwork nfo etc, if somehow you manage that again just copy your current "MyVideos34.db" delete your library rebuild it again then replace the new "MyVideos34.db" with the saved one your have all new artwork with old database

If each movie is in its own folder make sure you select "use folder names for lookups"

Turn on debug before you build your library then your know exactly what's happened
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
I think I found a solution in "Update Library on Startup" this will look on the computer for things that have changed and display new pics, nfo and so on and "Update Library on Startup" will not do any online scraping,is this assumption correct?
hmmm that didn't do the trick, cause after enabling "Update library at startup" I tried removing all info, pictures etc. from one of my movies, leaving only MKV moviefile in the corresponding movie folder and when I then restarted XBMC
it somehow downloaded a poster photo which is displayed in movies, however this poster file does not appear in the movie folder which still contains only the MKV moviefile?

Heres my settings:

Video - Files - Movies - Content settings:
This directory contains: Movies
Run automated scan: Disabled
Use folder names for lookups Enabled
Scan recursively: Enabled
Selcted folder contains a single video: Disabled
Exclude path from library updates: Disabled

Video - Files - TV Series - Content settings:
This directory contains: TV shows
Run automated scan: Disabled
Selcted folder contains a single TV show: Disabled
Exclude path from library updates: Disabled

Setting - Video - Library:
Update library on startup: Enabled

Can someone explain to me what settings I need to change?
I don't want XBMC to scrabe anything at all, but just display the nfo. pics that I poplulated movies with through Ember Media Manager
As far as I was aware if xbmc doesn't find the files (.nfo's, .tbn's etc) it will try and scrape them from the internet.

It doesn't store these scraped files in the movie folder, it stores them in the database.

I personally found that if the additional files are not named correctly xbmc wouldn't pick it up correctly.

If you want to see where xbmc is getting the information from enable debug logging from the settings, close xbmc, delete the log file from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC. Start xbmc and scan the library.

The log file should tell you where it's getting the information from.
unabatedshagie Wrote:As far as I was aware if xbmc doesn't find the files (.nfo's, .tbn's etc) it will try and scrape them from the internet.

It doesn't store these scraped files in the movie folder, it stores them in the database.

I personally found that if the additional files are not named correctly xbmc wouldn't pick it up correctly.

If you want to see where xbmc is getting the information from enable debug logging from the settings, close xbmc, delete the log file from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC. Start xbmc and scan the library.

The log file should tell you where it's getting the information from.

Exactly and why I said

Quote:if local artwork and nfo are found then that gets used

KOROR

If local artwork and nfo are found then it gets used if no local artwork and nfo are found then it scrapes off the net, so if you want to use your own artwork in with the movie you must do that before you add them to library, if movies are already in your library and you add local artwork then you have to refresh the artwork from movie information so the artwork in the cache is updated

Use Ember first then add the movies to your library, you cant just scrape the movie to library without local artwork then use ember XBMC will always download artwork if none is found locally

KOROR Wrote:The reason for this post is that last time I reinstalled XBMC and tried adding my files, XBMC downloaded and replaced hours and hours of work I put into downloading special poster, pictures and so on, I just finished updating all my movies and I really don't want this happening again.

XBMC doesn't scrape movies that are already in your library so how you managed to achieve this is beyond me and in any case it could only replace artwork in the cache it couldn't replace artwork in with your movies not unless you exported your library
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thank you guys, this makes some sense to me, I have 1 more question though.
If XBMC replaces arkwork in the cache, how do I get XBMC to use the artwork in the movile folder instead?
XBMC basically makes a copy of the locally stored artwork and saves it in a database (to speed up browsing I would imagine)

If you change the locally stored image after it has already been added to XBMC you need to browse to the movie that has the wrong image, press i on the keyboard then choose refresh. XBMC should then say there is local information found do you want to get from the internet. Choose no and the image should then change.
KOROR Wrote:Thank you guys, this makes some sense to me, I have 1 more question though.
If XBMC replaces arkwork in the cache, how do I get XBMC to use the artwork in the movile folder instead?

If you mean you want xbmc to pull the artwork from the movie folder in real time instead of using the cached artwork then the answer is you cant Confused

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help updating library0