What remote is in your hand?
I have a Chinavasion CVSB-983 that works ok, but the buttons are at the bottom of the remote so I'm not a huge fan of it.

I mostly use my XBOX 360 controller. Works well and feels nice in my hands.

On my other PC, I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2 emulating a keyboard and mouse using Joy2Mouse. This works really well, inside XBMC and Windows.
I use my iPad and the HippoRemote app.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" with xbmc remote app....Love it.
Theater - Harmony 900 (Acer AX1301-U9052 HTPC + HP RC6 IR)
Living Room - Harmony 650 (P4+8400GS HTPC + Rosewill IR, ATV2 Coming Soon)
Master Bedroom - Harmony 600 (ATV2)
Kids' Bedroom - Apple Remote (ATV2)
Kids' Playroom - Apple Remote (ATV2)
I use the Tivo Slide remote and love it. QWERTY and RF (bluetooth), and beautiful! It requires quite a bit of hacking to get it to work with Live (re-compile your kernel).
If you are using an IR remote, look into FLIRC - it will make your life so much simpler Smile
The one that came with my Onkyo receiver. I expected it to be pretty simple, like a TV remote, but it's pretty sophisticated. I can assign different devices to each input, meaning that I can control my receiver, TV, Xbox 360, BluRay player and my HTPC with one remote. The list of devices is pretty impressive as well. There's a document that contains at least 12 pages of devices + codes. Instead of buying a Harmony I can simply buy an Onkyo and get a nice receiver for free Wink
I'm using a Blu-Link bluetooth / IR remote. http://www.smklink.com/index.php?id=NzY1
Under Windows, I could never get it working properly, but with Linux it's working wonderfully.
On Windows 7, I am using a cheap one from DealExtreme, though I can't say this is the EXACT one I purchased it looks just like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-mu...-aaa-44178

It's USB IR and at this price you do have to expect to aim it decently for it to work. The main thing is it's cheap and works OOB, no other software or configuration was needed. I set my friend up with one of these, not a tech person, and he's never complained about it.

The mouse part is your basic up/down/left/right in XBMC and also works as a mouse in Windows. Left and right mouse buttons work in XBMC for back/forward and context. OK button in the middle works as expected, play/stop and pause work. PGUP/PGDOWN also works in lists.

Red power button will shutdown the PC. If I want to exit XBMC and get back into Windows I use the ESC button to get to the main menu then left over to XBMC's exit/shutdown prompt.

I use it in a dedicated theater setup with only other remote being Onkyo receiver, never had them interfere with each other. As I said my friend has one, he uses it in his living room along with all the other remotes, TV, DVD, whatever. He has never mentioned issues with interfering either.

I think overall at this price point, it's a very good remote for XBMC, on Windows at least, no idea for other OS.
Primary:
PS3 Remote

Secondary:
Rii Mini
Xbox 360 Wireless for Windows
I've been doing some testing to try and compare the response times between my Harmony One remote and my keyboard. I can't tell any difference.

Does anyone use a remote that has a faster response time than their keyboard?
I haven't decided what I'm going to use permanently yet.

Right now, I'm using these:
- Gyration MCE remote borrowed from a friend at work. Works well, but uses some kind of RF receiver so I can't use my Home Theater Master MX-500 with it. It is nice that I can use it with no regard for orientation and the mouse feature is useful.
- Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse borrowed from work. Nothing unusual.
- RF remote included with Lian-Li PC-C39 - Absolutely horrid remote, and since it is RF, the receiver itself is also completely useless.

FWIW, I have used a Harmony 700 and Harmony One in the past, but not with a HTPC. I wasn't happy with either one. I found them to be too laggy for my tastes when used with a DVR. I wasn't 100% happy with the tactile feel of the buttons either.

Concerning the 700, I didn't care for the media hard buttons (i.e. TV, music, movies) as it created two methods for accessing the same thing. Not a big complaint, but I also feel that the remote felt far too cheap for the price I paid. Within a week, it developed creaks and squeaks. I also didn't care for the USB plug used for charging it.

I really didn't like the touchscreen on the Harmony One. On my MX-500, I can use the soft keys (i.e. by the LCD) without looking at the screen, but I had to look at the screen to press buttons on the touchscreen. I would also much rather have the tactile feedback of a button than the beeping heard when touching the screen on the One. Build quality was better than the 700, but it also cost considerably more. In comparison, my MX-500 cost $80 and is a tank. It's been tossed, dropped, sat on, crushed, squashed, etc... and is no worse for wear. With either Harmony remote, it felt like one good drop would do them in.

I had no issues getting either remote to do what I wanted, but the software was frustrating at best. First, the very day after I got the 700, the data got corrupted and I had to rebuild a device and all related activities. It took me 30 minutes. I find it inexcusable that they have not included a method to back up your data and that it has to be done via the internet. At the time, their answer was to create a duplicate account, but that means placing a request any time you want a backup. On the other hand, when I got the One, it took little effort to modify the settings to suit the new remote.

Initial setup is vastly simpler on a Harmony, and if you're fine with it out of the box, good for you. If you're a tweaker, that's where I found it frustrating. Every change requires connecting, tweaking, updating, unplugging, testing, verifying the results, and doing it all over again if it still isn't right. I'm a picky SOB though.

I'm also not a fan of rechargeable batteries in remotes. Aside from hybrid batteries, the likes of NiCAD, NiMH and Li-ION suffer from constant drain, even when not used. The first two can develop problems when charged haphazardly and Li-Ion batteries are costly and are not completely exempt from irregular charging cycles.

In the end, after tweaking things, I had both remotes working perfectly. The macros worked nearly 100% of the time and they fired off quickly. However, since I use discrete codes (i.e. discrete on and off vs a on/off toggle) the assistance interface was of no benefit and I never seemed to be able to make it completely go away.

They're fine remotes for what they are. With regardless to the Harmony One, I felt I was paying for features I not only didn't need but did not want. For the 700, it appears handicapped to meet a price point, and that price point was too high IMO; it needs 6 soft keys and needs to feel more like the One in terms of quality. Hell... 6 soft keys and plain AA batteries (reducing cost and hopefully price) and it would be near perfect for me.

The trouble is, there really a no other options at that pricing level that includes the ability to download updates into the remote, which is extremely important if you want to easily incorporate discrete codes into your macros. If you use something like the URC R50 - which I imagine is a very good remote in every other way - you would have to go through the trouble of teaching it new codes that don't already exist in one of your other remotes by means of an IR blaster or another remote (e.g. JP1 enabled remotes are cheap.) Chances are, the codes are all there for anything manufactured before the remote, since URC has an extensive code database (supposedly the best), but the trouble comes 5 years down the road (as is what happened with me and my MX-500.)
X10 Lola: RF, X10 lighting support, works with MCE receivers, and is available for less than $20 on ebay.
LB06 Wrote:The one that came with my Onkyo receiver. I expected it to be pretty simple, like a TV remote, but it's pretty sophisticated. I can assign different devices to each input, meaning that I can control my receiver, TV, Xbox 360, BluRay player and my HTPC with one remote. The list of devices is pretty impressive as well. There's a document that contains at least 12 pages of devices + codes. Instead of buying a Harmony I can simply buy an Onkyo and get a nice receiver for free Wink

The new line from onkyo have a nice programable remote. I have teached my onkyo remote for my tx-nr808 to. However the buttons are limited and some can't be programmed. Also updating the harmony is very easy. Connect to computer and download new ir codes, voila done in 2min. My onkyo remote gets by but my logitech harmony one kick's ass... Cool

Cheers
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
This = false.

olympia Wrote:Only if you don't mind the lag of Harmony compared to the original MS MCE....

I suggest you adjust your delays. Then again, I dont know which harmony your camparing to which MCE remote.

For All of you harmony users.... Take a look at this simple tut to fix the delays

Anyway, Im using a Harmony one with a RC6 receiver. My Revo stays on all the time so I only have to power on the tv/amp.

I have had this remote since the day they came out and I can contest to you that this thing has paid for itself already. The harmony one comes with rechargable battery and charging base. You can catch them on tigerdirect and even best buy, re-manufactured, for around 140.
Control4 SR-250

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What remote is in your hand?0