Video Aspect Ratio (After Update)
Hi All,

I have had a night of PAIN with XBMC Live on my Acer Revo 3700! It started at about 17:00 when I decided to go on a mission to get the ZSNES emulator working through Launcher. Things were going smoothly, but I couldn't get the sound to work (common problem apparently). Eventually, after lots of tinkering, I managed to make it so that I didn't have any sound across my whole media centre. Then whilst trying to repair that problem, I managed to break my XBMC totally! Not a good night. Apparently, running "apt-get upgrade" is not a good idea to simply update 'alsamixer' by a version.

After hours of pulling my hair out, I am nearly back to having a working system again. After running the fatal 'upgrade' command, I recieved an 'openGL' error on first reboot. I managed to fix this by reinstalling my nVidia graphics drivers (once I figured out how to close the x server - problem after problem!).

Anyway my question is this: now everything is almost back to normal, for some strange reason, my video aspect ratios are different. When I play a film or a TV show which used to fill my 23" widescreen TV, I now have the black borders at the top and bottom. Why could this be? My XBMC menu fills the screen fine. Could it be something to do with the graphics driver reinstall?

Thanks in advance
Nick
its possible that with all the stuff you done that your TV is not scanning the actuall resolution. Most HDTV's have a setting under pictures its called scan or just scan or similra. try to set it to this while in xbmc.

Also on new driver install/reeinstall, its possible that your old /etc/X11/xorg.conf got overwritten (usually a backup is created on the folder xorg.conf-bak or similar) check this isn't the case and if it is restore it.

That's both my guesses, based on unfortunate events a long long ago before I learned the art of disk imaging before going on tweaking binge.
Thanks for your reply X3lectric. It ended up being something far simpler (quite embarrassingly!)....

In 'screen calibration', I hadn't quite got the square perfectly square. After some adjustments, the black bars were gone.

Thanks again
eh its worth covering all bases, glad its sorted...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Aspect Ratio (After Update)0