Modem Suggestions, MBP and wiring?
At the moment I have an Unraid Server hooked via ethernet to my modem. Everything plays pretty well apart from 1080p stuff in my living room. Thats because the wifi signal to my MBP doesn't seem very strong downstairs.

The time has come for me to buy a dedicated HTPC. I'm thinking of getting a Zotac with 2GB RAM and a small harddisk + harmony remote (all my price counting has made me come to the conclusion building vs. buying in terms of zotac is about the same).

As a temporary solution however, are there any suggestions for making my wifi signal stronger downstairs? are there any cheap devices available which will replicate my routers signal or create another ethernet point downstairs?

Also my router/modem is a BT Homehub (2.0 I think). Are they good or rubbish? Is the poor wifi due to the MBP or the BT homehub?
oh my, ok, 1080P is never recommended,,,
if u could go wired, then do it!
because it depends on many stuff like
how much devices use the 2.4Ghz band in your house and such,,

like i asked someone else yesterday,
for 1080P via WiFi,
best bet would be to use the 5GHz band..
so u need a router and a WiFi adapter that does this,,,

Router --> Linksys E200/E3000
WiFi adapter --> Linksys WMP600N

But still, i cant confirm you u wont have issues,,,
thats why its not recommended to play 1080P via WiFi,,,
some have it going on Ok but again, u might encounter issues...

Overall, yes,
they are WiFi Repeaters/range extanders u can have a look at,
http://www.wifirepeater.org/
I used to use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Y...ss_product with an old BT home Hub 2 that I was using as an N rated access point plugged into my crappy router from sky.

The BT Home Hub 2 is N rated so it is faster wireless than a normal router but your receiving wireless device must be N rated as well to achieve the best speed.

You can set this device up as as a wireless repeater or client etc and it is N rated so it is 3 times faster than standard wireless.

I was streaming 1080P from my server in the attic to my HTPC in the living room using one of these as wirless client.

You set it up so it can access your wireless network and then you plug it into the ethernet port on your media center.

For £18 delivered you cant really go wrong. I only got rid of mine as I finally got round to installing a network switch and run cables for two ethernet ports in each room of the house.

Gaz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Modem Suggestions, MBP and wiring?0