How can I launch XBMC with the MS MediaCenter Remote?
recently converted from MC7 to mediaportal for a brief amount of time (couple days). a buddy of mine was telling me he used xbmc so i thought i'd give it another try (tried it previously). needless to say, xbmc is what i intend on using. i just need to get it to launch via my remote.

i've bing'd this and found what i thought would be a solution. which was this . that didn't work. i think it may not have worked due to a problem with MC7. when i try to launch MC7 i get the error ".... cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy....." I'm not sure whats up with that, but that could be causing an issue.

either way, i'd prefer to not even have MC7 installed on my htpc and would like a better alternative to launch xbmc. seems silly to have to have MC7 installed just to launch another program.

so what are my options here..... what are you guys using. bing only turned up a few threads regarding this. seems most people use the aformentioned method i linked to previously.

thanks
guy
I have had decent luck with this http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp

it seems to not work correctly for me all the time though.. very easy to setup though Smile
The problem is that the green button on most MCE remotes sends a hotkey to launch Media Center (windows-alt-enter or something like that) and Windows processes this hotkey without allowing other apps a look in.

If your eHome is a full MS compatible (known as eHome or RC6) you can configure the green button to do whatever you want. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for details. I have the green button set to send ctrl-shift-W, and this is set as the hotkey on the XBMC shortcut.

Alternatively you can use an app like Eventghost that can intercept signals from the remote and configure them to do whatever you want.

JR
found an easy alternative. simply installed the MCE Remote plugin in XBMC. once you apply its default settings it changes the green button to the combo of ctrl-shift-w . then you just edit the XBMC shortcut in your start menu and set the shortcut key field to reflect that ctrl-shift-w combo. then you can even uninstall MCE Remote plugin if you so desire and the change will remain until you use MCE Remote to set the windows defaults back.

thanks for your replies though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I launch XBMC with the MS MediaCenter Remote?0