GT520 over GT430
I usually use inverse telecine which works fine , seems to work fine with full temporal spatial too
luna_s Wrote:My GT520 has no issues deinterlacing OTA 1080i streams.

Exactly. Any ATI or NVidia 'made for HTPC' card sold in the last ~2 years will be fine.

Another point I forgot to mention, which is important, it the weakest link is usually the TV, not the video card.

The distance you are sitting from your TV + the quality of the TV will determine the perceived image quality MUCH more than the video card.

For instance... unless you have something like a high-end front projector, Pioneer Elite Plasma, high-end Samsung plasma/LCD, or a large Mits DLP, etc -- your TV is most likely the weakest link and you can get a $1000 video card and it will make no difference since your device to display the image will muck it up.

And, if you sit a reasonable distance away you are likely not going to notice the small 'errors' or differences between ANY of the cards anyway.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:Exactly. Any ATI or NVidia 'made for HTPC' card sold in the last ~2 years will be fine.

Um no. There is a class of card that can handle de-interlacing and a class of card that can't released with the last two years.

For example, a GT210 lacks the horsepower while a GT220 can de-interlace anything.

With the GT520 we finally hit a point where the low-end is good enough.

bluray Wrote:if the 6670 (more expensive) has no benefit over 4350 (less expensive) as stated above, why not keep the 4350 and sale the 6670 for more money in your pocket (economic 101)!

The 6xxx AMD GPUs use a new type of decoding (more similar to how Nvidia does it) that is more robust and supposedly gives the best PQ in its class.

I can't confirm this yet, as I am waiting for a deal on a 6xxx HTPC card. But I am excited about it.

Livin Wrote:Exactly. Any ATI or NVidia 'made for HTPC' card sold in the last ~2 years will be fine.
man, i'm not sure what you're reading. you need to see the fact for each video card. here is a great site to compare your card to find out why one card has the advantage over another- Radeon HD 4350 vs Radeon HD 6670. this is why the cheaper/lower rating card is lagging during playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv with dts-hd/truehd, and the more expensive card with higher rating is more capable and provide smoother playback.

Livin Wrote:Another point I forgot to mention, which is important, it the weakest link is usually the TV, not the video card.

The distance you are sitting from your TV + the quality of the TV will determine the perceived image quality MUCH more than the video card.

For instance... unless you have something like a high-end front projector, Pioneer Elite Plasma, high-end Samsung plasma/LCD, or a large Mits DLP, etc -- your TV is most likely the weakest link and you can get a $1000 video card and it will make no difference since your device to display the image will muck it up.

And, if you sit a reasonable distance away you are likely not going to notice the small 'errors' or differences between ANY of the cards anyway.
have you heard the term- junk in junk out! your good lcd will not be able to smooth out stutter hd video from a bad video card!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
you guys are all correct but ONLY depending on the specific situation.

smooth video is a factor in every situation... but you can get smooth video and subpar PQ... BUT this only matters if you can see the difference on the TV!

Point of all my thread comments have been... MOST people don't have high-quality displays - they have basic (or even el'cheapo) LCDs or sit too far from the TV (based on screen size)... so PQ of a 4350 vs a 6xxx card will not show any difference.

This is not for all cases, of course, but each situation needs to be tailored to the TV display, seated distance, source material, etc.

In any case, spending a ton of $ on a video card (~ over $80) is a waste for any but the high-end front projectors and plasmas.

And for most people (with basic or average quality LCDs at normal seating distance) even a 4350 can play smooth video (for live 1080i OTA & 720p AVIs).

I know, I've tried them and even on my 65" DLP from 10' distance it is almost impossible to see a quality difference during viewing. The reviews freeze frames and magnify... this is not real world situation.

In my last job I worked with companies who did professional/broadcast, real-time HDTV, frame-by-frame, analysis systems (highly complex - took dual quad core XEON to do the computation for the analysis)... they used mid-level video cards that were cheaper than ones I've seen some people use in HTPCs. And those systems cost over $200k each.
eskro Wrote:the GT430 has no FanLess Low Profile versions,,, yet

eskro Wrote:again, the GT430 has no FanLess Low Profile versions,,,

I have a fanless low-profile GT430.
The Sparkle SXT4301024S3LNMP

As fanless and low-profile as it can get:

Only thing to take note off is that it does *not* come with a low-profile bracket. But since those brackets seem to be universal, one can easily use a bracket from another card.
I used a low-profile bracket from an Ati card I had laying around - an put it on the sparkle:

Card works GREAT!
hard to find in USA/Canada
eas- that is a nice fanless gt 430. where can i buy in usa?
no where i think,,,,,

try ebay
eskro Wrote:no where i think,,,,,

try ebay
i don't do ebay...i never trust it!
bluray Wrote:i don't do ebay...i never trust it!

I've had over 400 transactions on Ebay and only one idiot who scammed me for £10. Have you had a really bad experience?
eskro - just get a fanless ati card, they are all over the place.

bluray Wrote:i don't do ebay...i never trust it!

I've used ebay for over 10 years and it has gotten better for buyers and worse for sellers. They are overprotective of buyers even to the point of allowing buyers to flat out lie. As long as you use a payment method that will protect you, Paypal (decent), Paypal using credit card (good), CC directly (best) - you'll be fine.

I just bought something for $525 and the next day the persons account (who had 400+ feedback) was removed - I suspect for selling counterfeit shoes since accounts don't just get removed. I'm sure they did not send me the espresso machine I purchased from them but I'm not worried about getting my money back - it will just take a week or so.
T800 Wrote:I've had over 400 transactions on Ebay and only one idiot who scammed me for £10. Have you had a really bad experience?
my friend get scammed for $1000+ on ebay, and he never received the product.

another friend cannot return bad product to ebay.

i purchased most of my electronics and appliance on amazon and newegg. i have zero issue with them. they sent everything i purchased so far and they refunded everything that i returned so far too. most the items i purchased has no shipping cost, and i usually received it within 1-2 days. if i added everything up, i probably spent $15k+ at these two sites so far!
Livin Wrote:I've used ebay for over 10 years and it has gotten better for buyers and worse for sellers. They are overprotective of buyers even to the point of allowing buyers to flat out lie. As long as you use a payment method that will protect you, Paypal (decent), Paypal using credit card (good), CC directly (best) - you'll be fine.

I've heard this from several folks who are extensive ebay sellers. The one time recently where I had a problem - for an external wifi antenna for jumping a network from building to building - ebay was great about refunding me.

FWIW after looking around extensively for my last used car I ended up purchasing my trusty Subaru off of ebay motors and I felt great about the transaction. Seller was far more of a straight shooter than various FSBO and cheesy used car lot owners I encountered in my searches.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GT520 over GT4300