Please help -- Installed new graphics card now I have trouble with XBMC
I recently purchased a new graphics card (AMD Radeon HD6450) for my HTPC. I'm using an old eMachines computer I had lying around. Before installing the graphics card, XBMC worked great, I could watch movies on XBMC through my Xbox or I could just watch the movies on my computer screen. I wanted to be able to do everything through my 46" Samsung LCD TV, so I looked into getting an HD graphics card. Once I installed the graphics card XBMC wouldn't work, so I wiped everything clean and started from scratch (Installing XBMC as the only OS). Once installed, XBMC moves unbearably slow and I'm not sure what to do. It seems I have all the requirements for the graphics card to operate correctly but still, I have trouble. Here are the specs of my eMachines computer:

-CPU: AMD Sempron™ 3300+ Processor (64-bit)
(128KB L2 cache, 2GHz, 1600MHz System Bus)
-Memory: 1.5 GB DDR (1 × 512MB) (1 x 1 GB), 400MHz (PC3200)
-Hard Drive: 100GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
-Video: AMD Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3

I know it's not your ideal machine for this purpose, but I was trying to make something I had no use for, useful again. Also, I apologize if I'm missing something obvious as this is fairly new to me. Thank you in advance for ANY help.
Return the ATI graphics card and get an Nvidia GT430 or equivalent.

Jerry
Is that pretty much my only option? Or is there a way this graphics card could do the job?
Make sure you're using the ATi Catalyst driver, and if you want hardware acceleration, you'll have to set that up yourself (VAAPI).
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I read something about doing that, but I'm not sure how. I have downloaded the "ati-driver-installer-11-8-x86.x86_64.run" file on to my mac and burned it on to a CD but I don't know what to do next or if I should do it another way. I also found this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI but I'm having trouble understanding the instructions, am I supposed to somehow install the driver before XBMC loads up, or do I do it from within XBMC somehow.
This forum is full of guides on how to get ATI cards running with vaapi. Just look around.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help -- Installed new graphics card now I have trouble with XBMC0