More metadata in file view - is it possible?
Question 
I've been playing around with switching between library and file view a lot. The library view is obviously superior since it's got metadata: pictures, plot, reviews, etc, etc. But the file view makes a lot more sense for navigating through my media in general, especialy with a large collection and a lot of unscannable/misscanned media which would simply take too much time and effort to re-tag and get right.

In file view XMBC is showing the fanart for media which has been scanned, i.e. if there is fanart for a TV show or poster art for a movie, it will display it. But that's it!

Is there not a way to pull more of the library metadata in to the file view? I would at least like the plot and episode title of TV shows. I mean, the data is obviously there since I can see it fine in library view!

I just prefer navigating in file view. Somebody know of a plugin or a skin that will use more of the metadata in file view?
Already done in the next release of XBMC, which is still in development. If you want to take a peek check out the nightly releases (pre-v11 Eden), but backup your userdata folder first incase you want to go back to 10.1.
Thanks Ned, I'll take a look!
I don't know, I tested the nightly and I don't see it.

Here's the library view for "West Wing" on my computer:

Great view, with full metadata, episode plot description, etc.

Here's the same view, but in file mode:

This is where I would want to have the same information, since it's clearly in the database.

That is, why can't I have the file navigation with my own directory structure and filenames, but show the complete metadata?

If things were the way I wanted, it would look something like this:

I mean, the file view is great for navigating through my files, since I've got them in the exact way I want. And it eliminates scanning errors, etc. But the library view is obviously superior when the media has been scanned properly.

I just think it should be such a simple fix to merge the two. In file view, there could be an option like "show metadata if available" and Bob's your uncle. Smile

Am I missing something in the nightly?
I guess the skin you're using simply hasn't been updated to use meta data in file mode.
Hitcher Wrote:I guess the skin you're using simply hasn't been updated to use meta data in file mode.

OK - which skin could I try out that would have the meta data in file mode?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
More metadata in file view - is it possible?0