Re-purpose Revo 1600 as PVR backend?
I am about to patch my old Revo back together and use as a PVR. I had previously harvested the hard drive for another project but now have a few extra drives I can use. I have a 32GB SSD and a 320GB spinning platter and I am wondering which I should use (only want to do this once). I would prefer to use the SSD as that would cut down on power consumption and noise. I am concerned that I may run into problems recording to my Unraid server. Also wondering if this is a fools errand as the Revo only has a single core atom. I have not decided what PVR software to use but am leaning towards TVHeadend as this seems to have the best support within XBMC. Frontend will be Windows 7.
HTPC- Windows 7 64 Pro running XBMC Dharma Margro PVR Build, Intel I3 550, MSI H55M-ED55, 4 Gigs Ram, Asus EN GT430, Intel X25V, Antec MicroFusion Remote Case, HD Homerun Dual Tuner
Server- Unraid, 7TB storage, Intel I3 530, ASUS P7H55-M LE, 4 Gigs Ram, CoolerMaster CM690 Case
A/V- Sony 40Z5100, Sony HT-SS360
A single-core atom is a little too weak to do commercial skipping, but is is strong enough to dump the TV coming from something like a HDHomerun onto a Unraid server.

If you are gonna use Windows, the best backend is MediaPortal. In fact I think that is the best backend period.

Thanks for the input poofy, I will be using an HDHomerun. I tossed the ssd into the Revo and am in the process of loading Linux. I would like to have a Linux system running for learning purposes if nothing else. I believe that I can run the backend in Linux and still have my XBMC box be W7. I have been running PVR through Mediaportal currently with 4theRecord doing scheduling on the W7 box. Just can't stop tinkering. Will use the 320GB drive to upgrade my Unraid cache drive. I hope to move SB, CP etc to Revo and continue to use Unraid box for Sabnzb and Transmission. I believe that this will be my most efficient option. I may also crash and burn, my track record of not following your advice is not good.
HTPC- Windows 7 64 Pro running XBMC Dharma Margro PVR Build, Intel I3 550, MSI H55M-ED55, 4 Gigs Ram, Asus EN GT430, Intel X25V, Antec MicroFusion Remote Case, HD Homerun Dual Tuner
Server- Unraid, 7TB storage, Intel I3 530, ASUS P7H55-M LE, 4 Gigs Ram, CoolerMaster CM690 Case
A/V- Sony 40Z5100, Sony HT-SS360

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Re-purpose Revo 1600 as PVR backend?0