Import/Export Library questions
Rainbow 
Hi all,

I've been reading up on this on the wiki and I just have a couple of questions.

1) Exporting to a single file keeps the watched status as well. Does exporting to separate files (images and nfos stored in video folders) export the watched status as well?

2) If one exports to separate files, if upgrading or starting from scratch, to import the library, do you just run an "update library" as opposed to an import?

I ask because recently I took my laptop (current htpc) with me on a trip... Forgot to untick "update library on startup". Got back home. Attached laptop but mapped network drives didn't come online before I started xbmc.

Library is now empty! Lol (I had exported library to separate files before hand). And running an "Update library" is not doing anything.

So I just wanted to check the best way to save a library if you want to save the location, images, nfos AND watched status.

Export to separate files AND single file?

Thanks.
Apologies, just realised I should've put this in the Help & Support thread.

I'll just test the options and see what happens.

...DJVege...
1 - Yes watch status is exported when seperate files is use but you need to use an advanced setting for it to be imported

Advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

2 - You just scan your media again as if you where starting from scratch

Are you using <cleanonupdate> because you shouldn't loose your library if your not

I personally find it easier to make regular backups of my database and thumbs then if something like this happens you have an instant library back without scanning or importing anything
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks X. Much appreciated.

Yes, I was/am using <cleanonupdate> because I was cleaning up movies and shows I don't need anymore over the last few weeks). It's not really a big deal that the db is empty now, cause it's easy enough to rebuild. However, when I update the library now, nothing happens. Scan starts and stops in 0 seconds. Movies just have the arrow icon and nothing else. TV shows are empty.

I haven't had a chance to turn on debugging for more info.

Also, I'm getting a new HTPC in 1/2 weeks (waiting on parts), so again, this isn't a big deal. Just more of a curiosity to see what the issue around updating the library isn't working.

Thanks for the info above. Now I know how to set it up properly on the new HTPC.
So, just updating the issue so it's not left open.

Still don't know WHY the library won't update. Even with debug on, there is a line that says the scan is starting, then an entry a few lines later saying scan finished in 0.00 seconds. It's in a weird state of "Items are in the library" but "Items have been removed", so the library is empty when you switch to view it.

Fix was simply to remove sources (didn't delete them from library when prompted), and add them again. Ran a scan and it was updating all items when I left. So all looked to be good.
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
When you clean your library all the paths are removed from the db and what content type on those paths was is also lost

What you needed to do was set the content type on each source again because without it you cant add stuff to your library using any method including update library
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks X.

Imported everything back in fine. Glad I exported to separate files before I wiped the DB, so there was no need to go to the internet for 95% of videos.

Also got all my watched states back with the "advancedsettings.xml" entry above.

Thanks again.
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Import/Export Library questions0