Audio file playback distortion. Video formats fine. FFMPEG?
Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 with xbmc PVR - 2:11.0-pvr+odk44~git20110731.60222aa-0ubuntu1~ppa+odk44~maverick on an Asus Pundit P1AH2 computer with an AMD X2 3600+ processor and 1gb RAM. It has NVidia HDA Realtek ALC 861 onboard sound. Audio is fine during video playback (Live TV, Video files) and audio is fine with live radio via my Haupaugge card. However, playback of audio files - be they mp3, flac or wav - is resulting with distorted sound in XBMC. Outside of the XBMC, the files are playing fine in VLC etc. I have tried updating ffmpeg from source (using the method here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095) but still with no success.

Having played with it this afternoon, it appears to be that the graphics of the menu of XBMC is messing with the audio, having heard the same effect when playing audio (fine) and then logging into XBMC. Could this be a RAM/buffer issue? Compiz is disabled on the computer, but there does appear to be a link between the GUI of XBMC and audiofile distortion.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem? I've been really struggling to get this fixed. Thanks.

Thanks
Bump! Any one have any clue with this?
Hey Champ,

I'm having exactly the same issue! Video is fine but music and youtube play back is terrible with distorsion. Can still hear it fine but sounds terrible. I thought it was the files but I can play perfectly on my notebook...

I'm running HDMI with Optical Pass thru to my Samsung TV then Optical to the Speakers. The XBMC would be sooooo awesome if I can just get the music to play properly.

Bump please please please help someone Smile
I have an Asus At5iont-i Atom/ION2 setup with HDMI video/audio connected directly to my TV. I've modified the asound.conf file to get sound over HDMI. Sound and video work perfectly through the TV speakers at this point. Since I would rather listen to music, movies, etc through my stereo speakers rather than the tv speakers I have the audio out on the TV hooked up to my stereo via RCA cables (I would use the TV's optical audio out, but my stereo does not have an optical in connector, only RCA). The audio is then passing through the TV to my stereo. I have my PS3 hooked up this same way so that the video/audio goes to the TV via HDMI and the audio is then passed back out of the TV to my stereo via the same RCA cables. There are no problems with the sound from my PS3, however, when I attempt to play music or a movies through my OpenElec system I get horrible distortion. I can fix this by simply changing the input on the TV to any of the other inputs and then back to my OpenElec system. The sound plays great through the stereo until I select a different movie and I get the distortion again. Switching the TV inputs again solves the problem. I've switched HDMI cables and used the same HDMI TV input as the PS3 to test the HDMI connectors. It seems to do the same thing. I'm not sure if there is some setting in XBMC that needs to be changed.
I've tried setting the audio to Analog with the audio output device (HDMI) set to plughw:0,7. I thought this worked, however, about three minutes into the show I started getting distortion again. I've also tried disabling/enabling the AC3 and DTS capable receiver options with no luck.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio file playback distortion. Video formats fine. FFMPEG?0