If I use aplay -l I get

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: Conexant Digital [Conexant Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

HDMI Audio works for some movies and not at all for music if I use the following settings

Audio Output - - HDMI
Speaker config - - 2.0
Audio output device - - iec958
Passthrough output device - - iec958

all the fixes I've read assume that an aplay -l will show a hdmi card that can be invoked

John
Quick updates

Upgrades Alsa to 1.0.24 - no joy
tried to upgrade kernel to 11.xxx - toasted the install luckily I use a live version USB.

I'm putting up a separate post about how to copy off a live-rw file elsewhere for backup and how to increase it's size if you run out of room Smile

Next step is to fire up an Ubuntu live usb and see how it handles the HDMI.
At least if Ubuntu shows up HDMI in aplay -l then we'll know that the GeForce 8600m supports HDMI internally and not some bastardised spdif output to and from the sound card.

Onwards and upwards

John
Hmmm

Out of the box ubuntu 11.04 doesnt show anything different fro aplay -l either

But I suspect its using default drivers so a quick nVidia update might be in order.

Or not

thoughts?
anyone?

John
I would definitely start with the NVidia driver update as well as the Alsa driver updates. Just do a quick search here and you will find the commands for those.

Also, ensure you haven't added a probe_mask to the /etc/modprob*/alsa* (can't remember the exact filename of the top). If you have added a line in here as per other threads, you would want to remove it and reboot again.

Hope these few things help.

Also, an issue I had was trying to do passthrough of AC3/DTS through my TV, to find out that my TV doesn't support passthrough, so I just had to pickup a new Denon receiver that can do HDMI video switching and all is well now. This issue only came out last week after I bought a new Sony LED TV, my Sony LCD TV did passthrough without issue, but the new LED would not. :mad:
ASRock ION 330 • XBMC Live 10 • Harmony One Remote • MCE IR Sensor • 6TB NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDMI listed under aplay -l0