Keymap.xml GUI Editor
i think it would be so awsome to have a windows/mac utility that would bring up a gui with a picture of the remote and the controller. then you could click the button you wanted to program. have to drop downs come on the side. top one would select where it should take effect. (i.e. global, my vids, my pics, video player, etc.) then a scound drop down that would let you select the function(i.e. power down, stop, play, back, pause).

seems fairly simple to me as a novice programmer. this would make the button mapping extremely simple.

idk maybe this exists if so where? could it be done? anyone wanna tackle it? post comments
better yet, implemented into xbmc gui itself so you can do it all from within xbmc without messing with editing for those of us who aren't the best when it comes to simple .xml editing and such. user-friendly is good! and i am happy to see xbmc is pushing for it as well.
sounds like a good idea mitchell. i'm a vb programmer and i've just started coding this. i'm prolly even going to add the ability to download and then upload (after editing) ofthe keymap.xml file. all you'll have to enter is the ftp address, xbmc folder, username, and pass (defaults of course will be in place.) if the user doesn't know the info (minimum of xbox ip must be known) the program will use defaults and have the ability to search the xbox for the xbmc installation folder. editing of locally cached keymap.xml files will also be supported. (as well as backups.)

like i said though... i just started coding this.

as of right now, there is a pic of a xbox dvd remote and an xbox s controller just like you suggested. i'm working on the coding next.

i'm tracking this topic so place any ideas, and/or comments here. thanks for the idea!
Softmodded
XMBC enthusiast since Dec. 2004
sweet dude! id like to help you out with the project. i cant do much except help with layouts, graphics, and debuging. but i would like to see the program as it comes along. here are some of my contacts.

aim - mitchell2345
msn & email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

hope to keep tabs onthis!

mitchell
(lostit @ april 14 2005,21:56 Wrote:sounds like a good idea mitchell. i'm a vb programmer and i've just started coding this. i'm prolly even going to add the ability to download and then upload (after editing) ofthe keymap.xml file. all you'll have to enter is the ftp address, xbmc folder, username, and pass (defaults of course will be in place.) if the user doesn't know the info (minimum of xbox ip must be known) the program will use defaults and have the ability to search the xbox for the xbmc installation folder. editing of locally cached keymap.xml files will also be supported. (as well as backups.)

like i said though... i just started coding this.

as of right now, there is a pic of a xbox dvd remote and an xbox s controller just like you suggested. i'm working on the coding next.

i'm tracking this topic so place any ideas, and/or comments here. thanks for the idea!
post a reply to this thread when u finnish plz Smile
if you want a hand ive already started graphics layout which im about to totally redo, it has been hacked into a couple of skins now (orbs and new media center and my cheap hack skin, it works with 1.3 skinning and can be selected by a button on screen) but ill redo it, so it looks way better. if you msn me i can give you source psd and alter to suit or let me know alot of the starting work is done and fully editible.

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
well guys. it took a little longer than i expected... but i finally got a worthy version of xbmc keymap editor ready for download. this keymap editor has a full gui but only runs on windows 9x/xp right now. here is the link to the hosting site!

xbmc keymap editor
http://ttdev.net/xkme/index.html

there are screenshots on that site also. i'm looking forward to hearing questions/comments!

ImageImageImage
Softmodded
mine doesnt seem to work.
blindguy, what part of the program isn't working? some details would be great so i can look into it. thanks!
Softmodded
ok it works didnt see that you had to open an existing keymap

whats the difference between digital and analog trigger?
well, digital is a simple on/off button. analog has different degrees of on (>0% - 100%)... i'm not really sure what actions support analog. so... blindguy, looks like you've given me more info to dig up. Shocked
Softmodded
i would think anything could be either analog or digital just not both
It would be useful to some of us if there was a GUI based remote/controller configuration tool available. I personally use a Harmony 880 and while it's not difficult to turn configure every available Harmony Database control on the remote, then turn on remote code display in XBMC, then compile a list of the controls and related codes, and then edit the Keymap.xml it is difficult to do it quickly, thoroughly, and correctly.

All I want to do is map buttons on the Harmony to perform identically to buttons on the standard XBOX controller. They do for the most part, but the behaviour varies based on the screen/function you're using so you're apparently required to modify various sections of Keymap (which I'm still working on). So while I've mapped Exit to funtion like the "B" button on the main screen, it doesn't function identically to the "B" button everywhere in XBMC.

More than solving some huge technical hurdle (remote codes and keymap are viable workarounds) it would simply be a convenience and ease-of-use upgrade.
Thanks for moving my feature suggestion to this thread. However, the tool discussed and linked here is 1) Not available via the links posted here 2) Was not found by me in any of my searches 3) Is not immediately integrated into XMBC by default.

I realize that you cannot realistically test and embed every single minor feature into the program. But there's certainly a lot of room for usability improvement in regards to locating and using the various add-ons, scripts, etc. that people have created over the years. XBMC is great. I'm in love. So is my wife. And I'm still talking about XBMC. Wink But it's still a very tweaker-centric application.
Google = XBMC Keymap editor == Number 1 with a bullet http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/...XboHgX.php

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keymap.xml GUI Editor0