Alternative audio player for WMC
Hi guys, brand new here, I've never tried XBMC, so be gentle.

I've a couple of HTPCs, a server with all the media on it, and a handful of Soundbridges, and I've yet to find the combination of software that gives me what I'm looking for. Maybe XBMC will be the answer, but let me first explain the problem...

I've got my movie collection supported by My Movies under WMC. This has a centralised database, etc etc and is about all I need, but this leaves me using the standard, and very limited WMC audio player. On the other hand, for a while, I tried using the JRiver MC product, which was incredibly flexible and excellent for building views over the audio files, but was nowhere near as slick for handling movies TV series etc.

I've ended up with a curious hybrid, with WMC on the HTPCs and JRMC on the server, streaming to the Soundbridges. So I get my lovely structured audio queries on the devices with a 2 line LED display, and on my 50" plasma I'm stuck with the WMC basics......

Ideally what I'd like then, is a dumb plug-in for WMC that takes the stream from JRMC and presents whatever it is given, just like the Soundbridges do, but such a thing does not seem to exist.

Any one got any views on whether XBMC might add soemthing to the equation?
XBMC is a uPnP client so I suppose it would work. I'd say it was worth the 15 minutes it would take to download and try it. However using XBMC in this way is to use a fraction of it's facilities.

Having said that, XBMC is a poor uPnP server and wouldn't be as good as JRiver for streaming to the Soundbridges.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative audio player for WMC0