Flood of ffmpeg warnings for MPEG-4 ASP videos
Question 
Greetings,

I've started observing this behavior using a GIT version of XBMC on Gentoo Linux around the end of July 2011. I am using the Asrock A330ION motherboard. I thought it was just some minor glitch that would simply disappear with time. Yet today I've compiled an up-to-date GIT version of XBMC and the issue persists, which led me to writing this post.

When watching MPEG-4 ASP (MPEG-4 Part 2, XviD/DivX) videos, my log file gets flooded (by flooding I mean a dozen messages per second appearing) with messages like:

Code:
15:36:07 T:2866010992 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 27531, consumed: 16660
What is odd is that video playback seems smooth and the only, yet very irritating, symptom is that audio is constantly out of sync by roughly 200ms. Once I set the audio delay to -0.200s, playback is perfect. When I view the "info bar" during playback, it says no frames are dropped (drop: 0).

This does not happen for VDPAU-accelerated playback, though. All 720p and 1080p H.264 videos run perfectly, without any log messages and glitches. Yet, once I disable VDPAU acceleration, same messages appear for H.264 videos as well, which leads me to the conclusion that it's ffmpeg's fault. Currently I'm using Gentoo's stable 0.7.5 version, yet compiling a GIT version of ffmpeg and recompiling XBMC did no good, the messages are still there and audio is still delayed. There is no difference whether audio is MP3 or AC3.

I thought about enabling VDPAU for MPEG-4 ASP, but unfortunately my motherboard uses a first generation ION integrated graphics card which only supports VDPAU feature set B without MPEG-4 ASP support. It is worth mentioning that I've been using GIT versions of XBMC ever since Dharma was released and XviD videos were played back perfectly, without any audio delay, until around August 2011 (the version I used before was compiled in May 2011, I believe).

I have also tried messing with playback settings, such as VSync, A/V synchronization, scaling method, post-processing on/off etc. to no avail.

Can anyone help me pinpoint the reason for this issue? I've come across this thread, but contrary to its creator I'm not using HDMI for sound output (I'm using mini jacks for analog 2.0 sound output). I cannot tell whether my issue persists for 60Hz content as I don't own any 30fps XviD/DivX videos, only 23.976fps and 25fps ones.

Here is an example log from playing an MPEG-4 ASP video first (tons of errors), followed by a 1080p VDPAU-accelerated video playback (no errors). Removing the settings in advancedsettings.xml also doesn't solve the problem.
After further research, I don't believe this is an audio issue as playing a video without any sound stream produces the same log messages.

UPDATE: problem solved. This is a Gentoo-related problem as the default XBMC GIT ebuild contains the --enable-external-libraries configure option which is off by default and causes XBMC to be linked with the system-wide version of ffmpeg, which apparently doesn't work with the current GIT versions of XBMC. Everything is fine when using XBMC-supplied ffmpeg.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flood of ffmpeg warnings for MPEG-4 ASP videos0