XBMC, upgrade and backup questions
Ok the main point of this thread is backing up XBMC on a windows platform for an OS upgrade. I hit that nasty 4gb wall involved in a 32bit system. Thankfully when I purchased the parts for my pc I made sure to get a 64bit capable processor among other things. I'm going to Windows 7 Pro 64bit to address the software limitations of 32bit.

Now the question is, after putting the time and effort into making xbmc work as well as it does on windows xp, is there anyway to back it up so after my upgrade I can restore it? I have an external HD for this that will more then suffice, and all my media (with its tags etc) is stored off the os drive. I'm sure backing up XBMC has been addresed but as far as restoring it to a newer OS as well as a 64 bit system, that I haven't found much of.

Side Question: What remotes are you guys using? I've been looking into one, the Nyxboard Hybrid. I like the Rii wireless for its sff style but the Nyxboard claims to be used for a tv or other devices through its programming feature.
XBMC separates the program files from the data files. That means you only have to back up your data. You can install a fresh copy of XBMC, or an upgrade, then just copy back your data and you'll have everything back as it was.

The data is normally in your %appdata% folder. To open this press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%"

(including the quotes) and click OK and this will open an Explorer window. You need to back up, then copy back, the folder called XBMC.

APPDATA is an environment variable supplied by Windows. The actual folder name is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming where <username> is your Windows username.

JR
Awesome, so that will back up skin settings too huh? Oh one other thing, I use rom collection browser, would this back up scraped data for that as well? I know the movie and music should have been backed up to the media drive itself withe media.

Thanks!
RCB also stores configuration and scraped data in the %appdata% folders (%appdata%\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.games.rom.collection.browser).

Downloaded artwork is stored where you configured it during setup. Make sure that you make a backup of these files, too. You can check the current path in "Edit Rom Collection" dialog if you can't remember anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC, upgrade and backup questions0